1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A job offer but I need help!

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by mrineedyourhelp, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrineedyourhelp

mrineedyourhelp Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey everyone!!! This is my first post and I am new to this but I just received a job offer in the Vegas strip and was wondering if anyone knew of any safe areas of Vegas to live in? It would only be or 6 months or so and I do have a girlfriend who would be traveling with me so the safe area is a must. I also dont want to break my pockets living there. :) Another question I have, is Vegas weather suitable for my to live there just on my motorcycles? I have considered to not take a car and just my motorcycles so I didnt know if that would be a good idea or not! Thanks for your time guys!!!!

2. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

There is risk anywhere you live, but there are plenty of safe areas. Summerlin and Green Valley are most popular. I'm not particularly fond of either. I've lived in Spring Valley for 10 years this summer. I enjoy it. My brother has lived behind the Palms for the past six months - it's considered less desirable, but it's been perfectly safe. Run any address you are considering in Metro's Crime Mapper. You'll see a list of crimes reported in the area.

Rain isn't often a problem, but it does fall. Most often in the winter and summer (monsoons are unpredictable). Strong winds are frequent, 50-60mph gusts are not uncommon. June through September expect triple digit temps. Anyone I know with a motorcycle also has an alternative vehicle. You could get by with only a motorcycle I'm just not sure you'd want to.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont know about the job but the motorcycle would suck to drive. It sounds fun but its too hot.

Its hotter then hell in the summer and you will have to wear a helmet so you will just broil in it every light. Then the heat will be pouring at you even if you are on the freeway its just hot wind blowing at you.

In winter its cold so you will have to contend with that too.

4. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest area is good and some reasonable prices.
    I have toured the property behind the palms Rancho del sol 700.00 ish a month. It was very nice and I thought It safe enough . Very urban , I wouldnt walk around at night.
    As for your bike , All the streets are 45 mph (crazy) and lots of traffic. Every trip I see a few pedestrians getting killed on the news.
    Dont forget there is a lot of tourists that dont know where they are going.
    Dangerous, be careful.

5. searchin

searchin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to- zip code map Las Vegas - and print out a good one with the nieghborhoods listed . Then go to - for rent Las Vegas - and scroll the left side to area options such as Spring Valley, or southwest and start shopping.
    Call some properties to get an idea of the extra costs. I think its usually electric,
    cable, phone, internet, and sometimes water. Also a non refundable cleaning fee and application fee.

6. Bluto

Bluto Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Summerlin/the lakes is a nice area, allanza at the lakes has 1br for the mid to low 600s a month. Google them or check out craigslist. Area codes 89117, 89145, 89148 are all pretty nice. And just about every apt complex will offer a covered assigned parking space, gym and pools.

As for riding yr round, most every day is dry and sunny, though nights from november thru late march are kinda chilly. A bigger concern would be safety, bikers die here. The speed limit on most streets is 45mph with lots of distance between traffic lights and a fairly long yellow... all that plus quite a few drunk drivers (lots of free booze & no last call) combine for a dangerous setting. I rode in NYC and don't ride here.

Besides, a bike can never replace a car for day to day living.

7. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone mentioned Metro crime mapper. Anyone have a link to that I can't find it.

I have rented a house in Blue Diamond starting in May. Is that a safe area?

8. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

9. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I think the neighborhood in Las Vegas.

10. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

Then, I'm not sure. There is Blue Diamond Rd which is where Mountain's Edge is located plus several other housing developments. None of which, at least to my knowledge, are named Blue Diamond. Do you have cross streets?

11. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    W. Robindale Rd and Arville St

12. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

That area has its occasional break in, but it's a good area, convenient to the freeway. So, nowhere in the valley is too far. A few years back I looked for rentals in the area because homes are older, they have big lots, RV parking etc. Some homes nearby are still zoned for horses. It's not all cookie cutter like Summerlin or Green Valley. I like it.

13. Naturaleight

Naturaleight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. What is that neighborhood called?

14. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have to laugh just a bit...

Have done over 50 trips to Vegas, all times of the year. Even snowed on us one December. But it doesn't really get COLD...(by midwestern standards!:confused2::) I agree a bike would be QUITE hot in the daytime in the summer, but fine most other times. So it really depends what time of year you will be there. For 6 months, especially if not during the summer (or much of it), bikes would serve you fine.

As for an area that is "safe enough, BUT I wouldn't walk around at night..."--DEFINITELY not safe enough, especially for a woman!!!

15. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

The area is Enterprise. Subdivisions generally make up the neighborhood, I'm not sure of specific names.

16. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buddy lives in Enterprise and I visited him in march, seemed like a very decent part of town. He is pretty picky and if it sucked he wouldn't live there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.