1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

JFK Airport

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by brownies95, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownies95

brownies95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been to JFK on layovers but have never flown out of there. Due to some cheap airfare on Delta we are thinking about driving to NYC, staying overnight, and then flying out in the morning.

How is parking? Is it hard to find a parking spot? Is it expensive?

How is security? Does it take forever to get through, or do they keep things moving along?

Any other info you can give would be greatly appreciated!!:thumbsup:

FYI...we normally fly out of Buffalo or Rochester.

Thanks,

Tim:peace:

2. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Are you talking about the parking in Manhattan or at JFK? If its at JFK I never needed to park there but just checked their website and its $18 per day for long term parking but you can google other off-property facilities nearby that'll be cheaper and shuttle you to/from the airport.

If you're talking about parking in Manhattan it completely depends on what neighborhood and day/time. It can often be next to impossible to find street parking in most areas during the weekdays. If you're staying on the UWS or UES its a little easier but anything from midtown and down will be hard. Garages are expensive if you just drive in during most times but don't bother with that. Go to bestparking.com and just pick the area and approximate time you're going to park and you can print out very cheap vouchers. You can also download their app if you have a smartphone and not worry about printing anything. When I have a car in the city I can often put it in a garage overnight for around $20 but expect to pay much more depending on where you want to park and what time you pull the car out. If you're willing to park far over on the westside or eastside it'll be cheaper.

As far as the security lines at JFK again it depends on the time/day. But overall its been pretty fast. Its NYC so they have a ton of travelers but are also pretty well equipped to handle everyone, and you'll be flying Delta which is at one of the new terminals.

3. brownies95

brownies95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We would be parking at JFK. I looked it up and it is going to be around $135 for a week.:faint: We are used to paying $60-$70, but it is NYC so it will be a little pricey.

Thanks,

4. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If price is your concern, you'd save money both in parking and on hotel by staying outside of the city somewhere near a train station and taking the train in on the day of your flight.

Not suggesting you do that -- but if it's strictly price, that's definitely going to be cheaper.

5. caldwell2

caldwell2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't even think about parking it on the street in NYC. Due to street cleaning rules your car will be towed. Your best bet is to park at JFK.

6. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't even think about parking at any city or private facilities around JFK. Everyone time someone I know does it they pay dearly with theft or damage. NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Take the train to the plane. Take any subway or LIRR to Jamaica and get on the train to the plane ($5). It stops at every terminal and I know some who use it religously. But how much are you saving to have to stay and travel from NYC instead of your regular destination. Between NYC/LI accomodations and hassle of driving to another destination you must be getting the airline for free. Otherwise, just pay the extra and fly out of your closest airport.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some hotels near JFK have park and fly rates, Best Western, Hampton Inn. This deal on Delta must be pretty good to drive 5 hours each way plus gas and tolls.

8. brownies95

brownies95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is a good deal, but it's not the only reason we are driving to JFK. We will probably stay a couple of days after we get back and hang out in NYC.:thumbsup:

Thanks,

9. smrtypnts

smrtypnts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the night before your flight I would recommend staying in Westchester and doing a bid on Priceline. Then drive and park in the long term parking lot at JFK. I fly out of JFK all the time and always park in their long term parking lot. It's just easy. But give yourself time! Time! lots of time! Give yourself an extra 30 minutes for parking and getting into the terminal. Give yourself an extra 30 minutes to 90 minutes of time to get to long term parking depending on the time of day and day of week you're going. Then instead of the typical 1 hour before flight time, give yourself 90 minutes. With all the new government cuts, if they cut the security at the airport it's going to take longer to get through security. Don't want to take chances just to not spend 30 minutes in the airport. I've spent as much as 2.5 hours in the airport because everything was a breeze and as little as 25 minutes because i ran into traffic and then there was a ton of people checking in, so security lines were horrendous. The time it was 25 minutes, by the time we got to the gate we walked right on to the plane because they had already boarded everyone. That was too close for me. I was a wreck. You could bid and stay at an airport hotel and possibly park there for the duration and bid on the hotel through priceline, but an airport hotel is likely to be a lot pricier than a hotel in Westchester. However, since you'd be that much closer to the airport it may be worth it to you.

10. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to spend a few days in NYC as part of this then I would suggest looking into Long Island City, it's a lot cheaper than Manhattan and more convenient than New Jersey or Westchester. There is a LA Quinta that is an easy train ride into Manhattan. It's not a fancy area, in fact you're on the edge of factories, but you are safe. I know this neighborhood well, I live close by, you are safe. As I said, you are a train ride from Manhattan. If it's late you can get a cab back. There is food near by, a great diner for breakfast, Irish pubs, Italian, Mexican, Turkish, etc. The address is 37-18 Queens Blvd., Long Island City, NY 11101.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.