1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

HuffPO writer loses it at Aria

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by leo21, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read this as well and lol'd. I even posted a comment under the story on the fact that anyone who travels, reads, browses the internet, or watches TV/news is well aware of resort fees...it isnt 2009 anymore.

3. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow...what a condescending jerk. His replies to the comments are even worse than his childish rant that he claims to be an article. His writing is nothing but a temper tantrum, so much so that even if he makes any good points, they are lost.

4. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How can anyone that clueless claim to be a "travel writer"? What a joke.

I hope no one has paid him for his pathetic attempts at travel "journalism"
    :vomit:

5. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's the same guy who wrote this seriously scathing review of a new restaurant that Guy Fieri (the diners, drive-ins and dives guy) had opened in NYC. The tone was very similar and equally harsh. I think this may be how he thinks he's going to get a reputation in the online blogosphere.

6. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He doesn't even see the simple point that it is Priceline who didn't tell him about the resort fees....NOT Aria, whom he blames. So he goes on Priceline obviously trying to get five star as cheaply as he can, and is pisses to backfired.

7. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not calling him a liar although when you book the Aria on Priceline there is info below where you type in your credit card info and you have to scroll past it to click on the "Buy my hotel now" to officially book.

Mandatory Fee: This hotel charges an additional $28.00 per room per night. This fee will be charged to you directly by the hotel. Mandatory fees are not optional and typically cover items such as resort fees, energy charges or safe fees. The amount of the charge is subject to change.

8. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I believe you. I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt on that, as I do know when he booked or when he traveled. Just pointing the disconnect betwen booking travel third party, and blaming the resort.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He is a seasoned traveler yet never heard of a resort fee in vegas?

There is something wrong with this guy. i suspect he tries to throw some weight around, like he has any, and they laughed in his face so he took his ball and went home.

I am going to vegas at christmas and now plan on visting aria just to support them.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He acts like he hasn't heard of a resort fee ANYWHERE even though they are being implemented in more places than Vegas. That's where the head scratching started for me.

He did have one small point: It's kinda crappy to have limited hours for amenities that you are being forced to pay for. But even then, he was wrong about ranting about the pool as that wasn't part of fee.

11. Saaz

Saaz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anything from Huff Post should not be taken seriously - ever. They are an internet only low budget website claiming to report news stories. They have stories; the same way Mother Goose does. Hopefully they will fade away like others before them, quickly.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  12. fox

fox Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read plenty of bitching about resort fees on this forum too

14. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got no problem with that. But, as an alleged journalist, he should have explained the fees, what you get with it, what that would cost at other resorts without the fees, and that about half the properties on the strip charge resort fees....not to mention his ignorance the fees to begin with.

15. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I noticed that it was the "philipino" front desk clerk that informed him of the buffet being closed.

just wondering what the fact that the clerk was philipino have to do with anything?

16. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What an idiot. Has he never been to Las Vegas? Everything closes early so you spend your damn money gambling. That's why the rooms are $99 at Aria and not $850 like every other 5 star hotel in the world. Sure the resort fees are annoying, but it all evens out. Caesar's properties are usually more a night and you don't get wifi or gym access, and they don't have any 5 star properties. It does say pretty overtly when you book that you are responsible for them..

17. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whole Foods snacks in the snack trays? Seriously??? When I have the munchies and am eating in my room, I'm definitely not looking for a granola bar. And the issue about resort fees has been talked/debated to death for at least the last 3 years.

I've stayed at Aria 9 times since it opened.....doesn't make me an expert.....but their service has always been top notch, IMHO. I think we should send this clown to one of the WDW hotels and then he could learn about crummy service and have to pay a whole lot more than he did at Aria. :Þ

18. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't like the concept of resort fees either, but I'm willing to accept them as long as they're clearly included in the prices, which often isn't the case.

In fact, the FTC just sent warning letters to a bunch of hotel operators, almost certainly including some in Las Vegas:

FTC urges hotels to disclose resort fees up front

http://www.usatoday.com/story/hotelcheckin/2012/11/29/feds-issue-warning-hidden-hotel-fees-fees-add-up-to-30-per-day/1735509/

19. mdk63

mdk63 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's my pleasure to respond to Mr. Crotty......you make some excellent, if not worn out comments. But you write with the attitude of an entitled 15 year old
    snot.

But you did teach me a new word....

obsequious: marked by or exhibiting a fawning attentiveness

As in...."I will not be obsequious to your whining sir."

20. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You must stay at a lot more resorts than I do. I don't travel that often, but I'm used to places like Holiday Inn or a Marriott. The idea of a resort fee never comes up in these places. I do not expect to pay this anywhere outside of Vegas.

I got a little kick out of "The buffet experience is half the reason one comes to Vegas" as well. The buffet being down for 2 days is certainly bad. He also complains about high end food prices in a 5 star resort as if he was expecting to find a Burger King.

If this makes companies question resort fees though I'm all for it. I don't think it will do any good, but I just want them to go away. I have no problem paying for services. The resort fee is 100% a deception tactic. They intentionally leave it out of all search results to make their rooms cheaper. It is anti consumer and should be made illegal. Have your fee, but include it in the advertised price of a room.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.