1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Other buffets near Rio when lineup too long?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by paramont, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paramont

paramont Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are staying at Rio and arriving at dinnertime on a Sunday night. I have noticed in the past that lineups are crazy long (about 90 minutes) on a Sunday night because many loca families use this as their Sunday dinner out. Looking for a good nearby alternative - haven't heard great things about Gold Coast's buffet, have heard pretty good reviews on the Palms. Does anyone know, does the Palms get busy on a Sunday night like the Rio? Are there any nearby buffets you would recommend instead? (We won't have a car so needs to be walkable or accessible by Rio shuttle)

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, can't comment on the Palms line on Sunday night, but even if it is "just as long", Rio is nearly double the cost!

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gold Coast buffet was surprisingly good last April, and I don't remember any significant line. That may be an option.

4. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your only buffet options within walking distance are Gold Coast and Palms. I cannot comment on how busy they will be or the quality of the food. You could get the shuttle back to the strip but then could end up in line at a strip buffet!

5. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed at Gold Coast last month, and although I love Rio's buffet, we didn't have the time to waste at that ridiculous line. At at Gold Coast at least three times for dinner and breakfast and were completely satisfied each and every time. Price was a fraction of Rio's, immediate service, and food was more than adequate. I don't feel like we missed out on anything.

6. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed at Gold Coast last month, and although I love Rio's buffet, we didn't have the time to waste at that ridiculous line. Ate at Gold Coast at least three times for dinner and breakfast and were completely satisfied each and every time. Price was a fraction of Rio's, immediate service, and food was more than adequate. I don't feel like we missed out on anything.

7. paramont

paramont Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Sammasseur and everyone for your response. I suspected those were the two that were nearest. Will have to give Gold Coast a try for sure.

8. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that you specified buffet, but the cafe at Palms ( 24/7? ) has been excellent every time that I have eaten there. Furthermore, I have never seen it crowded. And I have had good service.

So, if you really get hungry, and face long lines elsewhere, you might consider that "immediate" option.

9. paramont

paramont Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turns out lineup wasn't long at Rio Carnival buffet on Sunday, so ate there and, while it was still good, didn't have some of our favourite items from last time (eg clam strips and bread pudding). Dessert selection seemed poor but it was late in the day and may have been better earlier.

We tried the Gold Coast buffet for lunch. Much smaller spread than Rio but with player's card was about $7 each (sorry, paid cash and don't recall exact amount before tip). Hubby was thrilled because they had clam strips.:licklips:

Tried the Palms for both dinner and breakfast. Dinner was great - just over $20 for 2 people with player's card, included Prime Rib done to your liking! Very nice selection. I have heard complaints that the Palms is over-run with the college crowd but mid-week the place was full of a nice mix of mostly 30- 50 year olds (being in our 50s, we were a little older than the average customer but still felt very comfortable and welcome). Late night the place seemed quite empty.

Breakfast was not a huge selection, and they were packing it up by 11:00. Many customers were grumbling, but we were warned when paying for buffet that this would be the case so I assume others were warned, too. You can't do the "slide into the lunch buffet" trick here. I loved the mini waffles in the shape of hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades.

Will definitely return to the Palms buffet again.

10. paramont

paramont Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, that was 10:00 am when they put away breakfast buffet. Lunch buffet opened at 11:00. Place was emptied out in between.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.