1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Restaurant and cut to turn me in to a steak lover?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by drfaust, Jul 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justaguy

justaguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A perfectly medium-cooked steak (and you will get it in any upscale joint) will be red in the inside, hot, juicy and balanced. Medium rare or rare will have a colder center and a lot of juice. It has indeed more flavor (and it is how I like), but maybe too much for a first time, for you will get some of the more raw taste (and this is very different from tartar).

There is really no right or wrong here, I just think medium for Steak 101 should be safer.

2. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So much to say, so little time.

My first suggestion would be to search You Tube for the excellent butchers, cutting carcasses. Start with somebody doing a Loin. ALL the right Steak stuff can be found here, in addition to the Rib. I won’t bore with the Latin muscle names, but I am a Fillet (Tenderloin) junkie and frequent top Steak houses, who know how to prepare and cook them properly.

Once you gain experience though, you graduate to making them yourself, via purchasing a full tenderloin (on sale natch) in the cryovac and cutting them to preferred specifications. The approximate cost is approx. $6-7 per at home v.s. $35-$50 in a Restaurant.

Other Loin cuts.

Many prefer a bone cut- T-Bone or Porterhouse. The diff here is that the Porterhouse contains a significant Tenderloin muscle and the T-Bone doesn’t. Choose the Porterhouse. There are less of them obviously, as the muscle tapers.

Some prefer a non boned cut- Strip or Shell Loin. Both are the other muscle situated on either side of the Tenderloin and can be found in the TBone.

Other great Steak cuts include: Prime Rib, Rib Steaks & Rib Eyes from- you guessed it.

Also, many swear by the Flat Iron Steak- from the Blade/ Shoulder, which I would never recommend. But, once the tough connective tissue is removed, some say as good as a Tenderloin.

The next part is the cooking of the things. Go on line again to check out appropriate temps, so that you don’t create a Hockey puck, which will put you off Steak- forever!

3. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems to me you are overthinking this. If you are going to SW one of the finest most expensive steakhouses in Vegas. Ask your server for his recommendation and if you don’t like it then you don’t like red meat. If you do you will have a whole new world opened up to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solidarity on the childhood steak abuse, brother :peace:

I’m leaning toward the filet now I think. I’m intrigued by the flavor and texture of the ribeye, but when I look at the weights/portion sizes, the ribeyes just look so… big. My stomach can’t hold that much food at one time, especially since I really dig sides and deserts. Getting an 8oz filet gives me room for some oysters, veg, taters, and desert.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hey, thanks for the info. Medium sounds like it might be right. I definitely want some pink/red in the middle. But I do t want it cooked too much through and tough (like the steaks of my youth).

I’m thinking about burgers I’ve ordered at some places as medium that came fully burnt through. But those weren’t top Vegas steakhouses, and I’m sure the poor line cooks just didn’t know what they were doing.

I’m guessing that line cooks at SW or where ever I end up will be a little more experienced and know how to nail medium correctly.

6. drfaust

drfaust Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m a scientist by training. I always research everything I do before diving in. I am paid very well to overthink things, so it works for me.

• Like Like x 5
  7. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, did this research years back, as it had been years since I had a steak (stayed away for some health issues for several years prior), and wound up at CUT at the Venetian...at the time (2008) I settle on a 16 oz Nebraska Corn Fed Boneless Rib Eye..lets just say my non steak eating days ended that night. Looking at the menu now, that is not a current selection, but I am sure the 12oz Illinois rib eye or the Nebraska NY Strip would do just fine...Rare plus is how I order it.

These days I often look at the pork chop or veal chop selections too, often the underrated menu choice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If looking at the Wynn/Venetian end of the strip, then I definitely prefer Cut for a traditional steakhouse over SW (Bazaar Meat is amazing, but I’d recommend their tasting menu and the steak is just one part of the experience).

Overall, however, I’d recommend Prime at Bellagio as the best steakhouse on the strip (certainly over Jean Georges at Aria) and they serve all their steaks with three sauces on the side, including bearnaise, so you can sample some different ways.

At a (slightly) cheaper price is Capital Grille, which is always a great steak at any of their locations - get it Kona encrusted.

A final recommendation would be Craftsteak at MGM Grand, which is both cheaper and they have a tasting option where you can get multiple cuts (great if dining with another person).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Catboiler

Catboiler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe's at the Forum Shops - one of the best steaks I've ever had
    Bugsy & Meyer at Flamingo
    Craftsteak at MGM Grand

I'm from the midwest and absolutely LOVE a well prepared steak. Filet, for the tenderness, is my favorite. My husband prefers a ribeye.
    I also suggest medium, no sauce (or sauce on the side) while you're finding what you like. If you also enjoy seafood, filet oscar (covered in crab meat, asparagus spears, and bearnaise sauce) is my all time favorite meal.

Birthday Vegas
  10. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To each their own, but I love a good filet cooked medium plus (halfway between medium and medium well) because it's still juicy and pink on the inside, but doesn't leave a pool of red on your plate. I also like a bit of salt on every bite because I think it brings out the flavor of the meat.

11. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wagyu ribcap at Gordon Ramsay Steak med rare or Bavette’s any ribeye including the ribeye steak frites. They cook the medium rare to perfection there, every time.

12. Jsmile898

Jsmile898 Addition By Subtraction and Better Off

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like steak but the sizes of steak in Vegas is so large and I can never finish it. My max is 6oz, maybe 8oz. But the ribeyes come in 16oz. I went to SW Steakhouse and just ordered a ribeye for the first time without really looking at the menu and I was scared for life when the plate came to the table. I know I can pack it up but it doesn't taste right later.

The only time I order steak now is when I want a treat and order A5 where its super expensive and it comes in a smaller size or it is ordered by the oz. I order the 4-6oz.

13. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ribeye at SW might be the greatest of all time, but you are correct, it is pricey. Plan on a minimum $200-225/pp. An alternative would be Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab. The hash browns might be the best ever.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget Bazaar Meats at the Sahara!!!!

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not buying going exotic and off-the-charts expensive. Try a Prime strip loin (New York) at most any established steakery, medium-rare.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rib Cap (medium) at STK or Gordon Ramsay Steak.
    Between the two, I would say STK beat out Ramsay.
    Which ever you choose, definitely stay for dessert.

17. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for a rib cap....med. rare...

18. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can almost guarantee you would love Santa Maria-style tri-tip. Paul Righetti comes from a longtime ranching family who knows his way around a piece of beef. The raising and the lowering of the meat is key. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this in Vegas.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red oak.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.