1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

In case U have not noticed...Rental cars have SKYROCKETED!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MGinCO, Jun 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have car rentals booked for early August and late October.
    I have played around with the prices and dates for weeks, using all available resources, for the best deals.
    I read a recent article, that said Car rental prices were going to get even HIGHER come August.
    Well, this is holding true.

Yes, I may not use the car every day, but I don't like being in cabs, and I do like to go around. (If not too hot!)
    I meet others for dinner, do some tourists stuff, stop at Liquor store, etc...
    And I will not take a darn bus, while on Vacation!

Well, for the mini Aug trip, 3 days priced at $235.29!
    Pre-Covid this would have been UNDER $100.
    You will NOT find this price anywhere now.

Oct. 24-29 5 nights, currently 2 separate ressies, one @ $201.67 and the other for $117.24, total of $318.
    Depending on where I stay for my last 2 nights, I may or may not keep the 2nd ressie.

Booking ONE ressie for the 5 nights, is way over $400 and up.
    Booking the 2 separate again, brings the total to over $500 and up.

So, do your homework, boys and girls.....keep checking those rates daily!
    Maybe the Oct one will come down in a few months, but I highly doubt it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's still a supply issue. Their business model has always for the most part to buy overflow (at a discount of course), rent it for a year or so, then turn around and sell it as a high end used car. Right now, there is little to no overflow at almost all manufacturers. Apparently buyers for the major rental car companies have been showing up at used car auctions trying to get ahold of anything they can.

The Toyota dealer in my town almost looks like it went out of business due to their lack of inventory. Ditto Chevy.

EDIT: Certain manufacturers have rental programs directly at dealers. Nissan is one https://www.nissanusa.com/rental-cars.html

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. codingkw

codingkw High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got you beat...I have a rental car booked from 11/1-11/9 for a midsize Enterprise for 390.00. Flights went down for 10/31 so I moved my flight by 9 HOURS!!!. I tried to redo the rental and they want over $600. Even if I just got a one day rental for the 9 hours they want $110...NOPE...I will take a $15 cab to our hotel and come back in the morning. I would even be willing to pay $50 for the day before....but not 110

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The opening statement mentions somewhere about traveling about if not too hot. Also noticed going in mid august. Not sure of your threshold for heat but if is anywhere CLOSE to this week I’m betting it’s too bot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh, I KNOW August is way too hot for me, but this is a special occasion, for a local friend of mine.
    (it never got below 110 or so during the day last year.)

6. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rental rates have been crazy since things started opening. My biggest concern is will they honor the rental agreement and provide a car? I booked my 2 week 4th of July trip back in January and got a full size car for the 2 weeks at $425…but will they have the car when I arrive? I have 6 different hotels booked including one in Laughlin; a car is essential. I’m nervous as hell that they’ll tell me that they just don’t have one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see where you might be concerned about “cherry-picking “ rentals and you’d be on the bottom of the list. But there can’t be a line. There would be a sign……we’re out of cars for those that paid your rate or 3x your amount. I would see them losing more in public relations and repeat customers than the short term gain of immediate profit.

Now, if your worry is getting to the counter and then telling you they can’t honor your pricing, YIKES! That wouldm’t be good.

8. finch12

finch12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go to Vegas every year just for NHRA drag racing the end of October. I only need a car to get back and forth from the track (12 miles) so I never get anything nice. This time I am renting a U-Haul truck for my trip. 20 a day for 5 days is now worth the extra effort to make this happen. Take that rental car company!

9. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never had a problem getting a car, using the Fast Break options, or whatever Member thing your car company has. Overall, I like Budget and Alamo.

10. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure that extra effort includes a rental agreement, otherwise you may not get that vehicle at all.
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?posts/2235729/

11. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely shop around, you can save a LOT if you have a discount code. Check your company, credit card, University, alumni, groups.
    You may even come out ahead joining Costco, but they aren't always the cheapest option.

12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a report of a U-haul reservation being cancelled for not having a lease agreement for moving. I don't know if this is true or not.

I guess that's what @SH0CK 's post was referencing.

13. MCOtoLAS

MCOtoLAS Vegas Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just came back from my Vegas trip and I was supposed to pick up a rental from an off strip/off airport Budget locations. They texted me the day before saying my car hadn't arrived there yet and to not show up to the location unless I'd heard from them, so I just cancelled. Actually, it looked like they had the amount for the rental pending when I checked my CC the other day and I forgot to go back and look so thanks for the reminder! I usually like to wait a few days after a Vegas trip for the incidental holds to fall off so I don't give myself a heart attack checking to see what the damage is... YMMV of course if you booked through a strip/airport location, but I got screwed last week!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone try to use "Autoslash" for a better rental car deal?

15. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's weird, as my old man just saw the car him and mum have booked has dropped $400 for their trip.

16. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, have tried it many times. It usually didn't compete well with my Avis account using Amazon and Costco discounts, but for my car coming up in August, Autoslash gave me a $280/week with Hertz while Avis and Budget were crazy high, like $180 more. Last time I turned in a car at Avis, I asked the clerk if prices would go down any time soon and he said they were going up. So I'm pretty happy with my new booking even though I don't remember ever paying $40 a day for a multi-day rental.

17. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    autoslash, has never been my best "deal", usually it's Costco.

18. Vegas Erica

Vegas Erica VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @MGinCO I'm not sure if anyone has said it but the October weekend is probably high because EDC weekend is leading up to it.

I only happen to know that because its my birthday weekend and I doubt my friends will come now due to the insane increase in pricing.

19. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, that is why I am going AFTER it is gone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.