1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Should I Tip? and How much?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TrewBrew, Sep 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stopped by the grocery store this morning to grab donuts for everyone, and took a stroll through the liquor dept to see if they had any Eagle Rare. They have a spot on the shelf marked for it but I have never seen it there. "Pat" walks by and asks what I am looking for, I say I just checking to see if by chance they had any. Anyways I give her my number and she said that if any came in she would call. I am running around at work and look at my phone and there is a message, it came in and she has a bottle put aside for me.

I know I should offer a tip but how much on a $30(ish) bottle of bourbon, I am thinking I will offer her $5.\

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 on a $30 bottle should be fine. She might say no thanks anyway

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to try to offer a tip, $5 would be nice, but a lot of grocery chains discourage employees from taking tips.
    For going above and beyond, I would ask to speak to her manager and tell them how much you appreciate what she did. Could go a lot further than a $5 tip that could possibly get her in trouble.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In jobs like these that are generally "non tipping", she may refuse either because she's not comfortable accepting it (especially since being seen on camera pocketing the tip could lead to trouble), or because there might be a workplace policy against tipping. I've certainly gone out of my way to dig up things for customers before when I worked in retail... and can tell you I would not have accepted a tip of any amount... and if the customer insisted, I suspect I'd have sought the explicit approval of my manager.

My approach to situations like these is to ask "What is the highest compliment I can pay you?". Aside from putting them in a potentially awkward situation with being offered a tip, however much that tip is could well be worth far less than some other form of appreciation.

For example, I know for a fact that many chains of retailers reward employees handsomely if they are mentioned positively by name in a survey completed by a customer. They can't necessarily say "Please fill out the survey and mention my name", but many times I've explicitly asked for their name if it's not on a tag and voluntarily mentioned that I will fill out the survey and make a point to mention them... which resulted in visible happiness.

Of course, if there's no survey... an email to the store's management would likely be the best route. Might be tedious to write that up compared to slipping $5 to them, but the two or three minutes you might spend doing that could be what scores them a raise or a promotion. Back when I was the employee, I've also had my ass saved more than once by customer compliments that offset an unrelated screwup/screwups around that time... so I also think of it from that perspective too.

Good on you for going out of your way to show your appreciation. I might still offer the $5 (perhaps in the form of a gift card instead of cash, say to Starbucks or similar)... but be prepared for them to not accept it, so that you can have a backup of some kind ready.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crack open the bottle and let her have the first swig.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rather than cash, maybe a five dollar Starbucks card or something similar. The store might have a no cash tip policy, but the gift card should be okay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As somebody who has worked retail, sending an email through the company’s “contact us” page complimenting the employee by name, and/or filling out the survey if there is a receipt (some surveys allow you to enter comments about either exceptionally good or bad things about your transaction) would probably be the best path. Also, accepting small gifts/cards given as appreciation is generally ok, but accepting cash is generally a no-no for non-tipped employees :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Yesterday, I bought a case of bottle beer and bag of ice with a tall IPA.
    The young guy behind the the plexi glass + facemask said something to me
    I didn't react cos I could not hear it
    I grab some of the crap....turn....and was gonna make two trips to my car.
    The kid was behind me carrying the heavy bottle case.
    I was impressed
    Thanked him at the car.....he turned to leave.....I gave him $2.
    He was surprised and appreciated it.
    I remember chuckling..... " What am I ?.....in Vegas ?".........big spender !
    Tip her if you feel it !

• Like Like x 4
  9. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Offered a tip an she declined. Was surprised that I offered.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you end up making your compliments through survey/email, be sure to mention that she declined a tip when offered. Dedicated employees who truly view it as being "just doing my job" to the point that they'll decline a cash tip are a true rarity IMO... and hearing that completely unsolicited from a customer will be excellent feedback to a manager/supervisor IMO.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 the first and 2 each thereafter and tell her to keep them coming. Every once in a while give her another 5. Your machine will never be dry.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. The Toddster

The Toddster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our company (heck, our industry) frowns upon employees taking anything beyond small gifts of nominal value. It is the most ignored policy in our company around Christmas. The feedback is always appreciated because you want to know that your people are doing good work but there was no way I'd do anything to an employee who accepted a tip. Some of my people had customers that would tip them as much as $100 and I wasn't going to tell them to turn it down.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.