1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hmmm, what to make for dinner?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, today was getting one of those "I ain't eating that s**t" things off my list.

Korean rice cakes.
    [​IMG]
    I had always looked at them with a combination that was somewhere between distaste and disgust.. I don't know why. I'm Asian, and this was Asian food, and it's sold in practically every Korean grocery store that I shop at, so it couldn't be THAT bad, could it? Maybe it was an acquired taste. Well in my old age, I am becoming more tolerant and inquisitive. After all, you shouldn't condemn most things until you've at least had a chance to try them, right. So, when I say most things, I had always wanted to TRY "crack", but after hearing the horror stories about addiction and death, I decided that there are some things not worth trying.

But, I digress.
    So, I tried two of Maangchi's recipes this week. The first was a street snack that was rice cakes sandwiched between mozzarella cheese sticks on a skewer. That turned out "OK", but I won't make it again.
    Here they are:
    Before grilling
    ricesticks_cheese01.jpg
    And after. It really tasted just like melted mozzarella.
    ricesticks_cheese02.jpg
    So, with 3/4 package of rice sticks left, what to do. I'm too thrifty to throw them away, so, what preparation could make them edible.

OK, let me sidetrack here. Plain old rice cakes don't taste like anything. I mean, they're pretty flavorless, so I will make the analogy to tripe in that it acquires the taste of what you cook it in.

I'd often seen them served "spicy style" in Korean restaurants, and figured that Maangchi must have a recipe for them. Sure enough. In Korean they're called TTeokbokki (spicy rice cakes), and Maangchi had a recipe.

I added lobster balls, vegetarian fish balls, and two hard boiled eggs to the mix
    upload_2020-6-28_9-28-55.png upload_2020-6-28_9-29-20.png
    and here it is, cooking, and plated
    upload_2020-6-28_9-29-57.png upload_2020-6-28_9-30-11.png

How did it taste? It was "OK +",

It tastes just like the sauce, which was flavorful and spicy. If you haven't watched the video, the sauce only has three ingredients, hot pepper paste, hot pepper powder, and sugar. The broth is anchovy, which adds to the flavor, but not enough to make it "fishy".

This also means

1)I wouldn't mind ordering it in a restaurant (or from a street cart)if it was inexpensive
    2)I would make it at home, but only if I had leftover rice cakes for whatever reason
    3)Fresh rice cakes may taste better (these were 3 days old)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet and sour pork over rice. Made Taiwanese style.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    C4AB26EB-27A8-4E0A-B678-7D72DE504119.jpeg

Pork butt (free; they gave it to me by mistake at H-E-B and cannot take it back) smoked and then turned into pulled pork.

Serving with a Eastern North Carolina style homemade vinegar-based sauce...

• Like Like x 8
  4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Light lunch at Perkins. :feedme:
    The chicken noodle soup really hit the spot!

20200628_123348.jpg

RICHARD

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tonight's gonna be grilled Tandoori pork loin -- yes, I get that it's grilled and not done with a tandoor but work with me on this -- with bells and broccolini.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, that was a winner. It was a recipe from Eating Well that called for tofu, but we were out so I subbed the pork. It's going in the keep file.

Will make something around these things:

DYkZbQIWT9CX9GOacdujTA.jpg

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting, ken. I had to look this up. Let us know what you make with it!

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would imagine most will just be eaten as is. Cup of beans with sofrito as a side to something grilled. Probably not the right weather for soup or cassoulet. Some might go into refritos. It's just nice to have good beans that are ready to eat.

9. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_20200630_144602.jpg Got a little pork loin for six bucks and roasted it. May have broiled a bit too long to crisp the top but it should still be juicy inside. Some brown rice to compliment. IMG_20200630_143003.jpg
    Edit; yup, it's good.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smoked wings 20200702_125237.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Love Love x 1
  11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night I dismembered chicken thighs and soaked 'em in lemon, thyme, rosemary, olive oil, S&P and caribe. Skewered and grilled. Skewers of red onion, zuke and red bells. Farro with a bit of parm to take away some of the twigs-and-berries quality of that noble grain. lol

Chicken and spicy pecan tacos with guac tonight. Calabacitas.

Edit: Duh, forgot to mention the prosciutto between the chicken chunks on the skewers.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, last night's dinner and today's lunch was Korean Bibimbap over black rice.

Black rice *the way that I make it) is made by mixing a small portion of black rice, with short grain white rice. It turns the rice a nice purple color
    upload_2020-7-2_12-8-48.png
    Bibimbap is a Korean rice bowl topped with an array of vegetables and meat and served with a gochujang sauce.

Bibimbap) vegetables from the Korean supermarket. So, my Bibimbap was a little "lacking".
    upload_2020-7-2_12-9-53.png
    I also picked up some "end cut" short ribs to (indoor) BBQ. The end cut short ribs are $8.99/lb. vs. the prime cut sort ribs which are between 13.99 and 14.99/lb.
    upload_2020-7-2_12-11-38.png
    When I was totally ignorant about Korean food, I thought that the sauces used for Bibimbap was the same as pure Gochujang (hot pepper paste), but, after consulting with my Korean cooking coach (i.e. reading Maangchi's cookbook), I foun that this was not the case, and Bibimbap sauce was a combination of several things, including sugar, sesame oil, rice and gochujang. Much better flavor.
    upload_2020-7-2_12-14-58.png
    So, today, I made teriyaki chicken to go with leftover short ribs and made another Bibimbap, and this time I added an egg to the top.
    before egg
    upload_2020-7-2_12-16-1.png
    after egg
    upload_2020-7-2_12-16-15.png

• Like Like x 6
  13. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rack of ribs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jerk pork. I've been drawing down the frozen scorpion peppers from last year and have fresh thyme that wintered over just fine. Hot, but not stupefying

As long as I was gloved up and prepping peppers I made a batch of peach scorpion jelly, too. I made the mistake of cleaning up without gloves and it's been 4 hours and my hands are still burning a little. My DW commented (between coughing fits from the pepper vapor) "Do you really want to eat something that you have to wear gloves to make?"

IMG_0227.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love those pinquitos. I had a big piece of halibut that fed us for two nights, so to jazz up the second night I made a sauce consisting of chopped almonds toasted in butter in a skillet, to which I added a clove of garlic, a good shot of Worcestershire, sea salt and white pepper, and a squirt of lemon juice. Cooled it a bit and mixed in yogurt to make a thick paste.

Sorry no photo.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a simple pan-seared strip loin with a thyme-butter-wine sauce and sautéed red chard. Pinquitos on the side. Tonight it's Moroccan chicken, falafel and arugula salad. We hit up Simonian Farms yesterday for tomatoes so it will be gazpacho and grilled shrimp tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My July 4th mission was to drop my neighbors off at MSP.

I took my time getting home, grabbing this brisket sandwich at Famous Dave's (Woodbury, MN). :feedme:

I also stopped by Culver's to get a chocolate shake.
    (It's important to cleanse the palate.) :thumbsup:

20200704_165221.jpg

RICHARD

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night my Bil and Sil invited my wife and I over and we barbequed some chicken while my Sil made kalua pulled pork with store bought lomi salmon. I also bought some shrimp cocktail, apple pie, and vanilla ice cream.

I recently started gardening out of boredom and my Bil made Japanese nama-su with the cucumbers I managed to grow. Came out really delicious!

And as usual I don't have any pics to share. Seems my early dementia is catching up with me, lol! :p I promise to work on this.....

• Like Like x 3
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night we painted slices of a good seedy bread with olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and tossed them on the grill. Fresh toms from the farmstand, mozzarella from the cheese shop and basil from our small garden went on top with balsamico and S&P. Grilled Italian sausages on the side. Damn. Fine.

Tonight will be a summery spin on a "Cobb" salad with prosciutto and grilled asparagus.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is pathetic. I had a molar extracted this afternoon.

IMG_0231.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.