1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coin-in - what is realistic?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Timothy, Jun 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I know many of you will find this a stupid/unanswerable question, but I’d like some ballpark numbers or something as an indication of what is possible.

Budget per day $600 - 10 days (so $6k total) - mainly slots (mix of penny, quarter, dollar, both betting lowly and max bet) —> what is a realistic number of coin-in to get out of that. I know, I know, if I go on a winning streak it’d be a lot more, if I hit cold machines it can be gone really quick...

But any indication? Playing over 10 days at various times, one should think I’d have both rough days and much better days.

Thanks in advance! Any personal experience or input is greatly appreciated!

It’s about time I’m back!
    Leg 2 of 4 - show me the new Rio!
  2. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely lose more than $3-400 a day and I play between $1-2 a spin, and I average ~$2.5k a day coin-in over the whole trip, and that sometimes includes a day with no play, too.

Looks like similar stakes to me, so I'd say how long you're willing to play per day is more likely to dictate your coin-in, rather than losing your daily budget.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use the number of $1/CET TC ($5 = 1TC on slots at CET) as "bad", which means a 20% machine hold.

I've had $600 go in 20-30 minutes, but then again, I've hit $10,000 in the first 30 minutes.

There really is no way of telling. If you had really "bad" luck. I mean "absolutely horrible" luck. I mean "enough to make you quit gambling forever" kind of luck, $600 in would net you 120 CET TC.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Average slot hold is 85-90% so $600 dollar loss equal between 4-6 k coin in per day. Having the disciple to stop at $600 loss on bad days is sometimes the hardest thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s 10 enveloppes with exactly $600, and that’s my max loss, unless I hit something big the days before where I might up it.

Meals and everything else will go on a card.

So gone is really stop, time to relax in the room, walk the strip, have a drink,...

• Like Like x 2
  6. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I expect an actual loss no lower than double theoretical loss. If a $600 "play until it's gone" budget yields more than $3k coin-in, you had an OK day. If your actual loss on that is less than theo (getting more than $6k coin-in), then you beat the house.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GoriGambler

GoriGambler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being disciplined at the 600 stop loss and having 10 days to even out good and bad days.. i"ll say you can have around 45k-55k coin in. You can target for 5k coin in per day and use it also as a stop point per day ( if the $600 had not evaporated yet) and you can roll any available bankroll balance for the next day.. that will also be helpful in hitting around 50k in total coin in on your trip.. may I ask.. why are you wondering about how much coin in?? Comps or keeping/improving card status??

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GoriGambler

GoriGambler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also to add... if your intention is to maximize coin in on slots only, no VP, try sticking to older multi line reel slots... there are still a few 5 line 25c or 5 line 50c machines that will stretch your coin in by lowering the variance, you will have a lot of smaller hits to keep you ciclyng your money but also the probability of hitting something very big decreases as well... it all depends on what you are looking for..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I lost all 6k and didn’t get more than 20k coin-in, I’d be mighty disagreeable. In personal experience 50k is way too much. Maybe somewhere in the middle is more realistic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always expect to get at least 5x my loss limit in coin in. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it usually does.

My daily loss limit is "soft" meaning I try to stay close to that as an average over the entirety of a trip, but I don't flat out quit playing if I hit it on any particular day. And it's $600.

And I do two week trips and I usually end up averaging over $4,000 coin in/day.

If you stick to mostly $5/spin or less in most of your sessions you should be able to hit that. Depends on the mix of games. And luck of course, but you have enough time and firepower to get a lot of spins in.

I do about 80% - 90% of my coin in on low-volatility 3 reelers at $5 denom / $5/spin and maybe 10% - 20% on high volatility video slots at $1 denom / $20/spin.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  11. GoriGambler

GoriGambler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes.. 20k coin in with 6k usd is tough luck.. that is nyny luck for me :mad:, you are right I probably over stretched my estimate.. that was based on my style of play (machine and denoms) normally I target for 10k coin in per day (that is where i have found the sweet spot between my bankroll and the comps i get) I play a lot of old school 3 reel slots which helps me getting more coin in than penny slots overall.. anecdotally I normally get to the 10k mark with an 1000-1300 bankroll..

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coin-in always seems very high, almost shocking, to me, when I figure it out.

You figure if you get 50 points in a session, that's $250.00 on regular slots (CET) and $500 on video poker, but the actual cash that you "invest" is (usually and hopefully) far less than the coin in.

The variance is so great that it's hard for me to ballpark. Sometimes I play seemingly forever on a $20, and other times it goes **POOF** in a few minutes.

13. wagon b0y

wagon b0y High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mostly depends what type of slots you play. Lower bet on on texas tea will get further than 10$ 3 reel slot.

IF the machine is 85% payback you'll get 4500$ coin in average.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just trying to figure what is possible between covering the comps I have now, improving status and seeding 2 or 3 properties to try and get a teaser.

15. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is a handy calculator to determine risk while playing slots.

So $1 a spin, with an 89% payout. After 5,000 spins, on average you will have lost $550. So if you have average luck, you should be able to get 5,000 coin in per day and lose the $550. Of course it never works out like that. You could run bad every day, and end up with 2,000 coin in per day so 20,000 the entire trip. That said, if you bet $3 a spin-- that increases your variance and you could easily end up with just $1200 in coin in before going broke.

http://www.digdia.com/slots/slot_calculator/assumptions.php?init=2&b=100&s=12&r=0.89&v=9&br=600

16. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I’m most comfortable betting low every spin but for a long amount of time.

$100 at $1.50 might give a lot less variance than doing 5 $20-spins, that why.

It might also have something to do with more comp drinks :D

17. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In your opinion, would be advisable to the OP to add a bit of this into the mix? Especially since as I understand it $5 denom slots have a far lower hold on average.

Edit: Perhaps not, as the OP stated right before I made this post :)

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  18. GoriGambler

GoriGambler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok.. got it.. the only other recommendation in that case, probably you already know it, is to try and play at the same hotel/chain per day.. if you do 4-5k coin in one day at a new hotel most likely will get you teasers on almost all hotels or at least you'll have a better chance than playing 1k for 5 days each at a new hotel.. you'll be seen as at least a 5k coin in player per day rather than a 1k per day even if you play several days at that level ;) which hotels are you trying to seed?? Or get teaser offers??

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the info. I was aware of this.

First three nights are CET, so CET will get all my play.

Next up is a comp through the Wynn slots app for 3 nights. I’ll give Wynn one full day, as that seems to get teasers with most people. I also will give one full day to V/P and one full day to Cosmo.

Then it’s up to Vdara, another 3 nights. Going to only play at MGM-properties then.

20. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your loss limit is $600 and your usual spin is $1.50, you should usually have no trouble doing at least $3,000 coin-in, even on penny slots, imho.

It's true that a $5 denom 3-reeler is going to have a better payback % than a penny video slot, and the gap could be pretty big. I expect $5 denom 3 reelers to be at around 10% hold, maybe less. I expect penny vids to be 12.5% - 15%. In absolute terms, that's a diff of 2.5% to 5%, but in relative terms it means the house is holding 25% - 50% more on the penny slot.

I play $5 denom reels because of the better payback, lower volatility and also because I have coin-in targets to hit and I don't want to spend all day playing. 800 spins to do $4,000 coin in takes about 2 hrs. If I was playing $2/spin, it'd take 5 hrs, I just don't want to spend that much time. And the results I get are usually acceptable to me.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.