1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Does anyone have experience with the Denver airport?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by whiskeyandslots, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm flying to Vegas, arriving on Friday at 8:30 a.m. local time. Before that, though, I have an eight hour layover in Denver. I have visited Denver at least 10 times, but I have never flown into their airport. Also, I'm arriving at 11:30 at night and flying out at 7:30 in the morning, so that greatly limits what I can do while I'm there.

I can work on my computer for the full 8 hours, but I'll need somewhere to set up. And to add complications to the matter: I'm a smoker. From my understanding, if I leave to go smoke, I'll have to go back through security each time I re-enter.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Gosh, it'd be nice to find a nice little 24-hour cafe nearby (with Wifi!) where I can work, drink coffee, dip in and out for smokes...and tip very well. Or, is there a pre-security area in the airport where I can set up shop and work on my laptop? I'm struggling to find anything when searching online...

2. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would you consider booking a hotel near the airport that has a free airport shuttle? Depending on your date, a room can be had for about 60 bucks, and it would be more comfortable than graveyard shift in a cafe.
    upload_2020-6-2_22-17-37.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. rourou

rourou subterranean roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Due to COVID, you’d have to find out if Denver restaurants are even open for indoor dining, let alone one for 24 hours. As suggested above, a hotel might be a better idea, and I think there is a Westin that is connected to the airport so you wouldn’t need a shuttle.

got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. whiskeyandslots

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhh Jimboguy, I think I'm an actual idiot.

I looked into the connected Westin, but it's like $260 a night. Not worth it to me...I'd rather rough it!

I forgot to look for that key hotel perk that I don't often think about (because we usually drive!)...free airport shuttle.

You're a lifesaver, @jimboguy

• Like Like x 1
  5. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope it works out for ya. Perhaps I’ll run into ya in Vegas. :wave:

• Love Love x 1
  6. whiskeyandslots

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be there Friday morning at 8:30, checking into my beloved dirty bird! Heading out late Sunday morning. :) If you'll be there during that time, let me know! I'll buy you a drink. <3

7. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Denver's my home airport, and I've been in a similar situation in that I've had a flight that left at 5 AM and I had a gathering with my friends to play RPGs the previous day that ended at 2300 (so I didn't bother driving home in between, and instead just spent a 5 hours at the airport).

The free airport WiFi is actually quite good, enough for me to watch 720p videos on YouTube with no problems so you shouldn't have issues in that regard. I don't smoke so I honestly don't recall if there are any designated smoking areas inside, but there have been some comfy sitting areas between the two main security screening areas on the pre-security side. I say 'have been' because I'm not sure what the status of those would be these days, since they contained cushioned/upholstered couches which I presume would be hard to clean, so I'm not sure if they're still open.

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants pre- and post-security, but as others have said it's quite questionable as to what's going to be open right now. It's not as comfortable, but I know there's a few high chairs with tables scattered about the terminals that have power outlets that I've seen people working at - not the most comfortable setups but quite practical. Some gates have sitting areas that likewise have power outlets and those small side tables, so again not very comfortable but functional in a pinch.

8. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been several years, but there used to be a large smoking-permitted bar...never mind... just checked & it got shut-down in 2018.
    Try Snus or Nicorette....or, just go ahead & grab one of those cheap "free shuttle" hotels & wait it out near/in/just outside of the hotel bar... grab a few hours of sleep... & get one last smoke in before returning the airport.

9. jack v

jack v MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been through denver many times, it's a very nice airport, the Wi Fi is good, but keep in mind the airport is way out in the middle of nowhere- maybe 30 miles out with not much around it, you wont really be able to leave it and "pop in" anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, a lot of the airport restaurants / bars are not 24/7 establishments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many of the airport shops/restaurants (at all US domestic airports) are closed, or working reduced hours these days. I suspect you won't find anything open in the middle of the night. And as mentioned, DEN is in the middle of nowhere. I haven't been there in a number of years, but there wasn't much of anything nearby, back when I was flying for a living.

12. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there is still nothing near the DEN airport, it is still in the middle of nowhere, although within 10 miles or so some outlying hotels have popped up

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you choose to do the airport shuttle thing, I would confirm as to what time they are running to and from the airport/hotel. I would hate to see you miss your flight because of new schedules, if they are running at all.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Regarding smoking,

Fly Denver advises

"While smoking and vaping are not permitted anywhere inside the airport, there are designated smoking areas, pre-security, outside Jeppesen Terminal. There are no smoking areas once you clear security and go to your gate."

I am a reformed smoker, but what I would do in that case is leave the terminal until your next flight boards.

15. postjack

postjack Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just want to echo the snus recommendation. the brand "General" is available at lots of tobacco shops and gas stations in the US. way better nicotine kick then camel snus etc. the white, original, and mint are all great. wintergreen tastes great as well but the pouches tend to rupture.

snus is perfect for air travel since you don't have to spit. i'm biased because i'm a snuser. i also vaped for years when i quit smoking but found snus to be much more satisfying and discrete.

i've been to the denver airport a few times, only thing i'll add is that it's massive, i feel like i always do a ton of walking to get from my gate to the exit and vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.