1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2020 garden thread

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mescalita, Mar 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I planted this lilac in a big pot at least 10 years ago. It has grown bigger each year, but never a single lilac....until now! :thumbsup: A lone (2 headed) bloom. I love the scent of lilacs.
    IMG_1072.jpeg

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I do grow a few select herbs and vegetables at home our larger plot is part of a municipal program that provides plots on a volunteer basis which we have been participating in for a few years. We donate our excess vegetables to the local food bank and we help maintain the plots they have there also. Sadly this year it has been canceled due to the pandemic. While we will miss the gardening no doubt we feel awful about the shortfall the food bank will have as a result.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought the plants. I will stow them under our covered porch/patio. Every year we get 3 hail storms in the spring. So maybe we can get all 3 out of the way this week. 3 Tomato plants, 2 jalapeño, 2 cucumber, sone flowers for my front pots. Which reminds me I need to order the caladiums. I found a bulk supplier.

@bubbakitty our local nursery was packed with people yesterday. I couldn’t find turkey compost. Had to settle for chicken shit (literally)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. Hopefully I made a deal with my Grandson to come over about every other week and help me with the gardening. Cheap labor. But he requires a lot of direction. He’s easily distracted by thin air.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:

Around here,with niece and nephew, we call it sweat equity. ;)

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use bullshit around here for more than just conversation. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So like seeing all of this. Thanks.

8. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (Insert wailing sound here) My daughter's cat destroyed almost all my pepper sprouts. Back to square one. Cat just moved out but it was planned weeks ago.
    Guess I shouldn't complain.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  9. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get thyme. Seems to soothe the savage beast. B4B271CF-F76B-42F1-80AE-8237FA036CF3.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just starting to clean the raised beds,but the weather isn't helping much.

On a side note I think a lot of people that never gardened before are going to start this year. Maybe just a couple tomato plants in a planter, or maybe a small "victory garden". I'm no Roger Swain,but a couple neighbors have asked me a few questions. I loaned one my well dog eared copy of Square Foot Gardening by Mel Barhtolomew.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband wants to keep planting stuff and I have to tell him no. So he's done a few starts indoors. Then he got mad at me because I put seeds in beds where we need to put tomatoes later (to properly rotate beds) and I've had to explain (MORE THAN ONCE) that what is there now are EARLY season things, like spinach and cilantro and peas and there will be space to add the tomatoes (we've started indoors....) and by the time the tomatoes are growing, the other things will have bolted and been pulled out. He is lovely and helpful and DRIVING ME CRAZY.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your neighbor asks where you husband is, say the garden. If they say they can't see him, tell them to dig deeper.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oooh, I just got some cilantro seeds first time. Is it hard to grow? I used to not like the taste but now sorta like it. Does it not do well in hot weather ?

14. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the most upsetting thing here is he is right. Hey, he’s a guy so there was a 30/70% chance of it happening!!

15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have that book too.

16. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cilantro does not grow well in South Central Texas heat in the summer. It is a great fall and winter herb. You may be able to grow some in a pot inside or semi shade in summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, in NC I'll never have a salsa garden because cilantro, tomatoes, and onions all grow/ripen at different times. I'm zone 6b and I plant cilantro seeds in March to eat in May. Since it'll bolt by June, I pick and freeze when it starts to get hot (I do a cilantro/oil puree and freeze that, like o do with basil)

When I remember (to buy enough seeds and to do the work), I plant again in August to eat/harvest in October.

18. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just planted 100 Caladiums out front. All along the front flower beds that border the porch. The name — Royal Flush— how could I go wrong. This year I will paint the door and replace the address to something more stylish and aesthetic. I’m thinking something bright like neon orange just to piss the hysterical board off. But I’m sure it will be something off whitish light brown.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoo hoo! Got tomatoes in the ground early this spring - this is a Brandywine, one of my favorite heirlooms. Texas heat causes very low yield, sometimes only three or four per plant. But they grow huge, and definitely in top three for best tasting tomato variety ever..

upload_2020-4-16_14-17-45.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swung by our garden center yesterday while I was out. I was hoping to grab a few tomato plants and maybe some seeds. But the gate was closed and blocked by a truck. I couldn't see the sign on the gate to see if that was a result of the shut-down or something else. Now I'm scrambling my brain trying to think of where else I could pick up a cherry tomato and a couple of smallish early fruiting tomatoes. :( Up here in the tundra, I have to start them early if I want any fruit before things get too cold and wet for the plants to survive outside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.