1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2020 garden thread

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mescalita, Mar 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since work has slowed to a crawl it looks like there will be plenty of time to hang out in the garden this spring. Got most of my tomato plants in the ground two weeks ago. Cool weather stuff hanging in there. Hope the summer heat doesn’t come early to south central Texas this year...

Kale, garlic, spinach
    upload_2020-3-22_21-1-50.jpeg

Swiss chard
    upload_2020-3-22_21-3-27.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
  2. Guardian

Guardian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have snow in my garden:(

3. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_0056.jpg

I've decided to tone down the hot peppers this year after the scorpions last year. These are two week old scotch bonnet sprouts under the grow light. Only got 5 up so far.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm jealous, but happy to see others' green.

Here's where we're at [emoji1] IMG_20200323_072118906.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Started weeding & cleaning in the decorative beds. Have early spring seeds in - we just had some rain, I need to see if they've sprouted yet! ;-) Cilantro, bunching onions, sugar snap peas, spinach. Have a little more I need to get in the ground - chard, mesclun mix - but I have to weed another bed to be able to plant. Work has been super busy (I work in global health research at a university...) so I haven't had much time during the day and have been super lazy after work and this past weekend. I think spouse will guilt me into it ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have California poppies blooming all over our back yard right now. Never planted them but the birbs gave us a gift I guess til husband starts weeding and planting later in the month. Beautiful orange blossoms.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for starting the thread. I have a question for @Joe as to a tomatoe I found — Wisconsin 55. I bought it but have Wisconsinites ever heard of such a thing? Also, champions, early girl, & marzinera(?) a new one on me.
    Then of course basil and cilantro and sweet peppers and pepperoniini (?). prices were wild this year for a plant as compared to previous years. :cry: But what can you do when lazy.
    Went with the full meal deal this year to cover squirrels, deer, armadillos. birds, and neighbors. :woot: 40C4DEFF-ABCA-4855-95EF-8D0D0981918D.jpeg ADCFA80B-240A-4F4A-887C-EC596B09FE74.jpeg

Saw the sun today for a brief confirmation. Rainy rainy.
    A4F0F803-97F2-4EE4-84C3-812F3C11054B.jpeg 28E7AFAB-EEDB-4639-B1EA-C5A9F545B413.jpeg Looking forward to other endeavors.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @bubbakitty I asked the gardener in the family and she said they are sold locally, but she wasn't sure of the numbers. Too early for talk of tomatoes here, dusting of snow this morning.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks joe. Just know that ‘Texas’ is applied to a lot of things with nothing to do with us. Looking forward to their growth.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last two moves we've downsized lot size significantly, from a half-acre to 15,000 sf to about 7,000 sf. So that's from two-dozen citrus, four huge raised beds and two in-ground and trellised beds of berries to several raised beds to ...
    r5FJ7YciTg22B%Aa2mwAWg.jpg IBCk93K%SEWjIcx1aeuM8w.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. That’s a lot. I’ve got 14x12’. And am busy. Ha. Great pics

12. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Far too early for us yet, but I am getting ready to get my seeds for the year. I will start them inside with my grow light and see how that goes this year.

13. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful where you put the grow lights. I got a red/blue LED light and the neighbors thought we were regressing to our hippie days when it showed in the window.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of which, I have a friend who put himself through law school growing and selling pot. When he got out he went to work for ... the DA. Too funny.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on a conference call this afternoon - husband in the basement, did some indoor seed starts with lettuce & a couple tomatoes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the same light and my backyard lights up VERY obviously when I use it. My neighbors had already mentioned it in passing a few months back and asked me if I was growing "stuff" and I answered very bluntly "yup". Quick conversation... Totally legal here in Ontario so all good either way. Still it was funny to see his reaction when I answered the way I did.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted my pics of my nasty weed ridden beds on the I'm bored thread. I cleaned them all out. Now I was ready to go buy plants. Saw an email from our safety officer at work stating bad thunderstorms this week with severe Friday - Sunday with large hail. Argh. May go buy the plants and wait till the storms pass. I have lost many a plant due to spring hail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've had some weird up and down weather temps too. Some nights recently in the mid to low 30s.
    Husband is still trying to figure out how he wants to plant the back yard.
    We decided to just keep pots of succulents and continue with eco-friendly stuff in the front.
    He's eager to get planting too. Best of luck, @Valgal.

19. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Valgal. I’d say go for it. This is a site about :poker:gambling but DAMN, 3.49 and 2.49 and 2.99 for plants that not too long ago were in 6 paks for 1.99 :cry: is an investment.
    I’d put them on the back porch (if covered) and let them see how lucky they are to avoid hail the size of manhole covers (Texas).....they could be more bountiful :headbang:as a result for a win-win situation. (granted the 6 packs were spindly and lacking, but in a couple of weeks or so you were thinning to gain space. The more expensive are mature but really.)

20. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We built and moved into our new home last August so we have no gardens yet :(

Waiting for the driveway installation that was to occur the spring to plan the landscaping. Not sure if driveway installation is considered "construction" which hasn't been shut down here yet. Guess I'd better contact the paving contractor.

I am really missing my gardens today; it is a beautiful sunny day perfect for spring garden clean up.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.