1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Ability to Transfer SW travel funds?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone had any success in transferring SW travel funds from one family member to another?

My husband has $100 in travel funds and he won't be able to use them. We were both on the original itinerary and I did reuse mine for a December flight.

I know it is name associated now, but wondering if anyone has had any luck in transferring between spouses and if so, how did you do it or who did you speak with?

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope.

I think there is someway to extend them, but I think it requires a $100 fee... so, not gonna work.

You can check over on the Swest part of flyertalk.com but I do not think there is anyway to use them, other than flying.

3. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is from Southwest's site---"Travel funds from unused or canceled flight reservations have to be used by the originally ticketed Passenger on those reservations. That means your Southwest travel funds are all yours (sorry, Mom)". You might want to research further. I believe you can transfer Rapid Reward points.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. Courtney

Courtney Resident polygamist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only way is to let it expire... Pay $100 to reinstate it, and they will issue a LUV voucher for it; that can be used by anyone.

seems silly to pay $100 to get $100.

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But yet if you use points to book for someone else, you get your points back. They aren’t transferred to the ticketed passenger.

6. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, points do return to the original owner.
    Cash/charge payments return to flyer.

As to "transferring points" - in most cases it makes little sense due to charges. Maybe when someone needs a few to top off, but the cost is more than what they are worth.

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. I really didn't think there was any way to do it, but I had my fingers crossed someone knew a loophole. Last April I took a bump on Delta on the way home from Vegas. I received a $1000 Delta gift card. Used that for work trip, used cash reimbursement for SW tickets to a wedding (won't do SW for work unless a MAJOR hub due to issues a couple years ago). Used the cash from reimbursement for SW tickets to a wedding. Since I went to NY in December, I used my voucher towards one of those flights.

Just so frustrating when it's the CC I applied for, I booked the tickets, I paid for the tickets, etc. and I can't use it (and neither can he). I normally do book with miles but with the path above, you can see that using the cash was the best option at the time.

8. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Better than most airlines. Many have a $100-$200 change fee if you do not make a flight. At least SWA gives you a full year to use the money.

(this is different than a bump of course)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just have him do the booking for whomever you were going to use the funds for.
    :beer:

10. Courtney

Courtney Resident polygamist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sadly it doesn’t work that way. The funds can only be used to purchase a ticket for the original traveler.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.