1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lyft and Uber from the airport to Bally's, why the tunnel?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ref59405, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ref59405

ref59405 The world champion of getting 3 and a kicker.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of my recent trips from the airport to the hotel involved the Uber or Lyft driver taking the tunnel to the highway. Sometimes this didn't seem really out of the way, such as when I stayed at the Cosmo or Park MGM, but I was also taken on the highway when I stayed at Planet Hollywood and the Flamingo.

This trip I am staying at Bally's and I just got an estimate from Uber and Lyft and they both show the route as the tunnel to the highway. I know to not complain if the fare is the same as I was quoted, but it seems odd to take a route that almost looks like a complete circle when finished.

If I was driving myself I would not take the tunnel to get to Bally's. What am I missing?

Boy's trip
    Annual birthday trip
  2. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's the fastest way, the driver gets paid more because it's more miles, the rider pays the same price. I'm a driver and I'd do the same thing unless explicitly asked not to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ref59405

ref59405 The world champion of getting 3 and a kicker.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for your response.

Boy's trip
    Annual birthday trip
  4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A six month test run of flat rate rideshare fares from McCarran to various hotel zones recently took effect in Las Vegas - so unlike the taxis, if an Uber/Lyft driver takes the tunnel or some other scenic route, it won't matter (see Las Vegas Review Journal article below). My guess is that under these new fares, a rideshare driver would want to get you to your hotel as quickly as possible so that they can pick up the next fare:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/flat-rate-fares-for-taxi-rides-from-mccarran-to-strip-take-effect-1918882/

5. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those flat rates are for taxicabs, not rideshares.

6. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops - you're right...that is my bad....for some reason I thought I had heard that Lyft and Uber were doing the flat rate fare and just linked to the article without thoroughly reading it. Thanks for correcting!!!

7. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Props to the OP for checking the estimated fare AND route prior to booking his rideshare....if the proposed route takes the tunnel and freeway from LAS to the hotel and the estimated fare is acceptable, then book the ride....I like to also check the fare and route going to LAS from the hotel to get a "second" opinion/estimate....Personally, I prefer not to take the tunnel, especially going to LAS from the Strip, because I don't want to encounter any potential delays on I-15 to my destination...

8. Jkpalmer7

Jkpalmer7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been long hauled with Uber from airport. It quotes me 1 price to get to my hotel and then next thing you know you are in the tunnel. Get to hotel and check the app and they charged you more. I have had to make to claims to Uber for this. Now when I get in a Uber at the airport I tell driver NO TUNNEL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mercr350

mercr350 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In November I had to get to the rental place before it closed at midnight. It was across the street from the main one (have to watch those Hotwire reviews).

The cab took me thru the tunnel and said hey where is my tip when I paid him.

10. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Take a screenshot of the estimate and route before your driver shows. Then do the same after you are dropped off. Everything is logged and theyll either refund you the difference or give you a bigger credit for your next ride.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stay midstrip, and arrive when traffic isn't bad, so Paradise is much shorter. I've heard it's the same cost via the tunnel even though a farther trip, which I'd be fine with.

But every time we've had a driver take the tunnel versus Paradise midstrip, it's always around $5 more than the estimate. (And takes much longer.)

I've loved Uber/Lyft, but the uptick in tunneling (and a fare more expensive than quoted, even when traffic is light) is making us considering going to back bell limo share. (When uber/lyft wasn't an option, we took bell versus a cab.)

Yes Bell limo share is more expensive, but a nicer ride and a flat fee. Interestingly, Bell has a flat rate, so it benefits them to take the shortest/quickest route, and they've never once taken the tunnel, always paradise.

For Wynn, Mirage, V/P the freeway might be faster, but for non-busy times of day, we've always found the tunnel takes longer to mid-strip properties, and it's always resulted in a $5 increase from the original estimate, in our experience.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  12. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been tunneled twice. Each time I questioned it and got a refund. One Uber and one Lyft so far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rebirth

rebirth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If Uber app has it on the express way, they're going to follow it. The price usually shows up before the trip beings. Never had it higher.

Vegas 2024 Part 1
  14. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My ride last May with Lyft to Planet Hollywood included a trip through the tunnel. The weird part was even though the ride was five miles longer the fare was fifty cents less than the last trip where the driver took Swenson. Since switching to Lyft all my trips from the airport to PHO have been around $14 without any discounts.

Mark

15. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my recent trips all through tunnel, none of them had higher cost than the original estimates
    or higher than I expected based on non-tunnel route.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.