1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RUMOR - MGM's Newest Cost Cutting Measure - Dirty Rooms!

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by mikel123, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wouldn't bother me to have them skip cleaning my room every day. While I appreciated it, I sometimes felt put off by it too. I had to hide my belongings so they don't get in the way or accidentally go missing. What if I wasn't following a normal standard and that ticked off the cleaning person? Gotta hide my toothbrush so they don't clean the toilet with it! lol.

I've had a few times where I popped back to my room to get something but the cleaning person was there. Awkward. Or they knock on my door as I'm still in the room. Inconvenient. So to avoid that, I would be fine with reduced room cleaning. I tend to be more tidy when in hotels anyway because I don't want to scramble around trying to find all my belongings.

I hardly make my bed at home so not having a made bed in the hotel doesn't bother me anyway. Towels? As long as you can ask for clean towels when you need them, I'm fine with that too. I try to hang up towels I used but don't want/need cleaned but I think they take them for cleaning anyway.

2. ripper

ripper High-Roller

We don't get our room cleaned anyway. Maybe towels after a couple days but that's about it.

Little mans 21st birthday!
  3. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny. Same with me. When hubs is there - service is desperately needed! He is a bit of a slob, imo. I, on the other hand, am super clean and tidy. I can't imagine foregoing HK service when he's there. :rolleyes:

Yeah, when I'm in a hotel - fresh towels and I separate one for my hair and body. Oh the luxury when you're not the one doing the laundry!! :D

4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course. I was only talking about the "only if you request it" part of it. Not trying to fully defend them, I'm just saying that I think that having people request it is a reasonable solution given how many people don't want or need it. If they charge extra fees just for housekeeping then that's a whole other thing, which I think would be ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JimmyG

JimmyG Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We generally don't want housekeeping services when we check in, maybe a swap of towels every couple of days, but we do that with housekeeping in the hall with a tip for their trouble. We are also neat freaks, we wipe everything down with Lysol wipes when we get to the room and the bed is made when we leave for the day and our clothes are hung up or put away. We really don't want a stranger coming into the room and touching our stuff.

6. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We like having housekeeping make the bed, wipe down the bathroom surfaces, and all the other little things they do.

We always keep the room neat and tidy because we do spend some time in the room relaxing. If we get some to-go food to eat in the room, we usually take that garbage out ourselves.

What shocks me the most in this thread are the amount of people who clearly mistrust housekeeping and hotel employees. Yes, we use the safe for many things. But we usually always leave a laptop out and plugged-in. And once in a blue moon we forget to put some valuables in the safe. We've never had anything touched or stolen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind having my room serviced everyday, since it also keeps security from popping in unannounced when they do their room checks, if you don't have housekeeping service your room for x number of days. I would rather have the option of "opting out" of housekeeping than having to "opt in".

Although as long as they don't start charging a housekeeping fee, it's not that big of an issue for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Patripman

Patripman High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am fine every other day for housekeeping services. Having been an Housekeeping Director for Marriot and Guest Quarters Suites for 16 years I can tell you the cleaning staff likes to keep their assigned rooms clean. To many times they get the trashed room or room that hasnt been serviced. The one thing I always tell a guest is to communicate with the housekeeper your needs and they will oblige. I will say the Housekeepers in Vegas are spot on with their cleaning, I have never had an issue with them.

P

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How does this new policy jive with the security measures put into place after Harvest 91?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy being pampered with a clean room, fresh towels and clean sheets (during longer stays) when I stay I hotels. I take differing vacations and ones where we rent a house do not have the same amenities as ones in hotels. In hotels, I nearly always have all requests for extra towels or extra cleaning handled with a smile form the housekeeping staff. I have never lost an item in a room, save the one in the bear story from one of our Aria trips...and that was likely in the linens they were changing and just missed by housekeeping.

We discuss rumors at length around here (along with other things) and sometimes answers turn snarky. This is is a discussion board and we are experienced enough to know that a lot of these rumors turn out to be false, some turn out to be partially true, and some are correct. I think it is fine to discuss them without snarkiness added; that ingredient adds nothing to any discussions and is part of the whole "keyboard kombatant" issue rampant on boards. Thankfully, not as bad here as other places!

If this one has any "legs", I would just hope that it remains something they as people to opt out of (as it seems it will) and not a service that you have to request.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the "other " rumor is true (Circus Circus sold) will they be able to afford to clean my room every day?

12. Skyler

Skyler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see this happening. Don't you guys remember when CET was giving $10 per day credit to decline housekeeping? Then their union contract was about to expire and the housekeepers were mad because their shifts were being cut. I believe that's the reason it changed to $10 per stay. I don't know when MGM has new union negotiations, but I don't think this will fly with the union.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not a new policy. Its a rumor

Loooong layover on our way to Lake Tahoe
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Treasure Thighland

Treasure Thighland Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The way I see it is I’m on vacation when I’m in Vegas. That also means I’m on vacation from making my bed, worrying about clean towels, and wiping down horizontal surfaces. Daily housekeeping is important at least in my view.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LvBlitzforce

LvBlitzforce VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In before MGM starts charging at the door to simply enter their shtty hotels...

• Love Love x 1
  16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about View fee, ice machine fee, coin operated elevators, Security fee, gambling fee (wait, I already pay that one), 3:2 fee, air conditioning fee, pool fee, perfumy air fee, Venetian gondola watching fee, flamingo watching fee, police protection surcharge, resort fee fee?

• Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.