1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RUMOR - MGM's Newest Cost Cutting Measure - Dirty Rooms!

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by mikel123, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Not sure what the big deal is. Many if not most decline housekeeping by default.

They aren't saying you can't have it cleaned, it just becomes opt in instead of opt out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I for one would hate to see this become norm. I know I could always call and request housekeeping, but it seems you book a resort for a resort experience and shouldn't have to make a request for what I consider to be a basic service.

I don't mind hotels not changing the sheets until we leave, but frankly I'm on vacation and would like a break from making my own bed and picking up towels. Not that we leave the room messy, but it's nice to come back to a nice clean room.

I'm also one of the people that really enjoys turndown service. That's a little nicety that I never get at home. I would like to feel at least a little pampered.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. wtwde

wtwde Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frankly, I'm fine if my room never gets cleaned during a stay, as long as I can grab a couple of towels here and there .I'll always use the safe for valuables and such anyway, but I don't want people I don't know coming in my room while I'm not there and potentially going through my stuff.

4. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had my room cleaned in the evening many times at Aria.
    For years it has been an opt out at Marriott and Hilton properties .There used to be a small token credit on your bill but they may have stopped that.
    I like clean towels etc. everyday so I never opt out.
    Called concierge ,reservations , and housekeeping at Aria and they insisted this was not going to be a policy there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to have my room cleaned every day. I order extra towels most everyday because extra showers are in order to wash off the smoke order. Yes, I hate the smoke smell and smoking in general, but I go to a place where smoking is permitted so I just shower an extra time to get rid of the funk.

To those who wonder why this is a big deal and always turn down service anyway, good on you! I go to resorts to be in...well...a resort. That means a clean place with clean rooms and all the towels I need. If they take less money from you for not having you room serviced, fine. If they raise their resort fees and take away service, I would be unhappy about it.

We'll see where this goes...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like my dorm room back at UC Santa Barbara?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is so accurate.

And, yes I make my bed every morning and maintain a clean apartment. So, I don't accept any thing less when I'm on vacation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So tell them you want housekeeping every day ...

The rumor said they won't do it daily unless requested. That's why people don't think it is a big deal. People who value it can get it. But just maybe those who don't care should not be getting it by default when that costs the hotel more, and is not particularly environmentally conscious either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reason it is a big deal IF true.... Vital Vegas on twitter "Employee says first day of housekeeping is free, second and third there's a charge, fourth is free."
    The charging is a problem. Agree if free, not a big deal. I'll always request.

10. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, I am sure that the next step is that they will provide a certain amount of housekeeping (say for 1 or two days) and charge for the rest. Personally, I only use housekeeping once or twice during a 5 or 6 day trip, but this represents just another move in a long line of penny pinching by the big strip corporations that are significantly degrading the Vegas experience for me (see also -- resort fees,parking fees, venue fees etc)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second half of that tweet was another employee contradicting that story.

12. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True, but being a rumor, I quoted the part that “proved” my point. :whistle:

13. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Assuming it'll just be a question asked at check-in, and as long as no added fee, I have no problem with it. But trying to couch it under anything other than cost savings (i.e. "going green") is ingenuous.

I too feel like when I'm on vacation, I love coming back to the room after being out in the afternoon to a made bed and clean towels. I'm far from that clean when I'm at home so it's a nice change and one of the perks of being in a hotel. If I'm paying the resort fees and taxes and all that goes along with the Vegas Experience, then I'll take any pampering I can get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is "fine" except we all know it is just inches away from being charged a "housekeeping" fee. That is a huge problem for me. More nickle and diming to be sure - coming soon to a Hotel near you.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I hate the rumor mill. Its often not reported accurately, almost always something negative, most VMBers freak out, and most of the time the rumor never comes true. Worse, this one has gone from being a rumor to now let's invent what the next bad link in the chain will be and bitch about that too!

Everyone just relax. When the bad stuff actually happens, we can moan then. Let's not be outraged all the time, especially about made up stuff :thumbsup: Or at least let's make up positive shit and rejoice about that. Did you hear about the free brownies the hotels are going to start giving to every guest at checkin? Mmmmmm, brownies

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Love Love x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bbbruce

bbbruce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    “All of our guests have been requesting free brownies at check-in. So we are happy to announce that we will be giving everyone free brownies, starting 1/1/2020. As an unrelated item, the resort fees will increase on 12/31/2019.”

• Love Love x 1
  17. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Def. agree with the wait and see what happens.

Personally, if I'm staying a couple of nights, I just want fresh towels and my bed made daily. Otherwise, I'm a fairly clean person, so I don't really need the room vacuumed or the bathroom scrubbed down every day.

18. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the room cleaned every day.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. mickyblueeyes

mickyblueeyes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I 100% agree. The best part of vacation is being catered to and having a break from laundry, making my bed and cleaning in general and I appreciate coming back to a nice refreshed room with towels and glasses restocked, toiletries organized nicely etc. Sad part would be all of the maids that would likely end up out of a job if this happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's funny is that at a lot of places I've stayed, maids go out of their way to see if people leaving their rooms in the morning want their rooms cleaned quickly. Had maids ask at Boyd properties, TI, downtown places and had my room clean and ready by 1pm or earlier. Even a few years ago, I returned to rooms at MGM properties (MGM Grand and Aria) around 5 pm after leaving at 9am to find the room uncleaned and getting a knock at 5:30pm to see if I wanted my room cleaned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.