1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wasting money on first day in town...

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Vegas Pilgrim, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillDonovan

BillDonovan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make a few sports bets, watch the games, that will kill a few hours easily.

2. Vegas Pilgrim

Vegas Pilgrim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Third trip in. Always fly in on tuesdays. Got there around 1pm both times. Problem was my room was not ready yet. (Same type room as yours, but on other side of FSE so I won't hear hear the 3rd street stage.)

Both times went to eat and gamble a bit. Very bad luck. Second trip booked via host. He said hotel was fully sold out on monday night, and the 1200 checkout creates my problem. Don't know how many rooms are available in both towers, but people don't like resort fees.

The wait to get into a room is part of the issue. In the air for over 7 hours to get there (which is why I have 10 nights there), so due to fatigue (I hope) I sometimes do things that don't work out. Like playing DDB poker at Palace Bar, getting skunked, then trying for the Jokers Wild progressive. Third hand in get dealt quad aces. Instead of 800$, i get $80. Like I said, not one for making decisions on first day in.

Anyhow I'm sure this trip will be better!

3. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Pai Gow poker?

Push, push, win, push, lose, push, lose, push, push, win, push...

Drink free, and if you begin to nod off, just murmur, "House way, please."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like to play craps? Walk over to Fremont and squeeze in to a craps table. They are always busy but at your time arrival it shouldn't be too bad.

Then just play passline with single odds. Enjoy the camaraderie and the FREE DRINKS. Stand back, take a swig of that ice cold beer, people watch, savor your wins, boo your losses, and slowly take in the vibes of being in Vegas.

Then walk across and go check in!

• Like Like x 3
  5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Penny keno at the Fremont. You COULD play 1 cent at a time and order but that’d be sick. Go to 4 card keno and bet 4 cents. Step up!!
    I don’t think checking in will be an issue. You’ll be tired but get there and smile and say ma’am no matter their age.
    And make eye contact.

Yes ma’am
    No ma’am
    Maybe so ma’am
    Perhaps i am ma’am
    I am ma’am
    Oh no ma’am
    You flatter me ma’am
    Thank you ma’am

• Like Like x 3
  6. bstew

bstew Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe try a $20 sandwich at check in. See the $20 trick section on the site.

7. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i honestly cant disagree any more with this if not doing hogs n heifers. 1, ii, and c sounds perfect

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vegas Pilgrim

Vegas Pilgrim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a 9 night stay, might need to add many more twenties to the sandwich. Don't know if it would even work, since a host booked my room.

9. bstew

bstew Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking a small sandwich just to check in early, but it wouldn't hurt to try and parlay the $20 into more.

10. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not head over to Plaza and play some bingo? You'll easily have time to get into their 3:00 pm session. If you're playing using the electronic machines, there's no mental effort required other than watching a screen and calling "BINGO" when your machine starts to go crazy telling you that you've won. You could get in on that for about $20 or so, which will be a full hour of entertainment and two free drinks included.

That's what I'd do in your exact situation of "Just got into town, probably won't have much energy, want to scratch the gambling itch, but don't want to screw anything up from my fatigue".

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Vegas Pilgrim

Vegas Pilgrim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, just a follow up...chatted with a host yesterday, and they were going to see if I could get early check in. Of course that was based on my original departure time of 2am Vegas time. Due to Air Canada, my revised departure time now 230PM Vegas time. Seven hours of air travel will get me in around 1100 tonight!

So a guaranteed way not to lose big on my first day there! Hasn’t happened in quite a few years!!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. FranklinT21

FranklinT21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pizza Rock is the traditional first stop into downtown followed by VP somewhere (either Four Queens or Boars Head)

• Like Like x 1
  13. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasting money on first day in town...
    I wrote the book on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Kellywest

Kellywest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is only a couple of hours if you can't get in your room right away. Try and catch some ZZZ's on the plane. Just walk down Fremont. The sun and fresh air should have you cured of jet lag. And of course, grab a drink and get the vacation going!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.