1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Refuse to Pay CNF Fees?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by sandlapper, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Respectfully, this is kind of short-sighted. You’re letting a price difference of mere pennies dictate whether or not you’ll try a place at all? Even to have a $20 cocktail, you’re talking about a difference of less than $0.75 with the added CNF.

It’s a scummy practice, and I agree with the principle of not supporting it. But if something at Hexx is something you really want, I don’t think that such a small price difference should be holding you up.

Besides, think logically about how they enforce the fee. They can only force it on you by having it printed on the menu. If you order without the menu (e.g. gesture towards a cocktail someone else is drinking and say “I’ll have one of those”), then you never actually “saw” the disclaimer about the CNF charge, and therefore you are not bound to pay it.

Whether fighting it is worth it or not depends on your appetite for conflict. Regardless, in the best case they’ll remove it without question... and in the worst case you’ll say whatever, have one cocktail, and leave.

All I’m saying is that this isn’t like Ticketmaster surcharges turning a $50 show into an $80 show. This is just a matter of pocket change.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Thousands of other places in Vegas to eat that don’t charge this fee. If we all just say “oh well, it’s just a few dollars” you will start to see more and more establishments do it. I refuse to be part of that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  3. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s not the money, I have no problem dropping $100 on breakfast. It’s the principle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m with you in principle, and I get that that’s what it’s about. Personally, I generally refuse to go to the touristy areas of Niagara Falls for this same reason, since almost everywhere charges a fee like this. We’re 100% on the same page about the general principle, I don’t think I’m misunderstanding you at all.

The way I interpreted your earlier posting is that you had intended on trying Hexx, but now won’t simply because of the fee and, by extension, the principle. Which would make sense if Hexx was just any old restaurant. But from the way I read what you said, it’s somewhere that stood out specifically to you.

Assuming that’s the case, this is why I’m saying it’s short-sighted. If you wanted to try Hexx for Hexx, whether that’s for one of their dry ice cocktails or one of their picturesque desserts, it seems that you’re losing more by not doing it (I.e. not getting to try the thing you really want to try) than they are losing by you not doing it (I.e. not earning your $xx.xx + 3.5%).

To be clear, I’m suggesting merely going in for a cocktail or dessert to satisfy your curiosity. Not necessarily a full meal or multiple rounds of drinks. Whatever the bare minimum is to tick that item off your bucket list without giving them a cent more of your money than you need to.

If you’re that strong-willed about your principle, then great - you’ve got a lot more discipline than the average person has. All I’m saying is that if trying Hexx mattered that much to you, you’re actually losing out the most in this equation.

Of course, all of this is moot if you weren’t that keen on Hexx to begin with (I’m certainly not keen on it, it looks like the kind of gimmicky place that’s designed to get girlfriends to drag their boyfriends into). Though that’s the vibe I got from your earlier posting.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tesseract

Tesseract Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought the groupon for Hexx, i doubt they would remove the cnf while using that. At the same time the groupon gives me $26 off, should still come out ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.