1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So... what seafood is on the MSS Friday night buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by prodaddy, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Substantial increase in pricing for Friday nite seafood buffet at the ol' MSS....who has been recently and what seafood dishes are they adding to the buffet? thanks in advance...

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never seen Dungeness crab clusters before but they had it last time I went this past February. If I can remember they always had: Snow crab legs, peel and eat shrimp, tilapia in some kind of sauce, oysters on the half shell, and seafood medley casserole looking thing.

Sometimes there are no oysters but there is a cooked mussels in shell dish.

The crab legs are hit and miss, more miss lately sad to say. They were small and bland last time. It was a while ago when I remember they were a decent size and sweet.

I used to feel sad if we didn't have a chance to eat there on Seafood Friday night. Nowadays if we miss the seafood night I don't care.

3. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m a fan of MSS buffet, but not on seafood night. It’s just not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Most Vegas buffet try to dumb down seafood spreads with the tasteless tilapia, farm-raised shrimp, unfresh salmon, dime-a-dozen mussels, small crabs legs, imitation crab casserole, etc. On top of it, nearly every place overcooks it.

• Love Love x 1
  5. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you on this because aside from seafood night, MSS Buffet is still a great value. For me lately I really like eating breakfast there, not because the items are anything special rather it is because the place is bright, airy, pretty, and the workers are nice and friendly. It's just a nice place to have breakfast in the morning. The atmosphere is great.

Their brunch buffet is not much of a value to me so I don't do it. I'm not a fan of champagne or whatever they serve and the additional food items they offer doesn't interest me.

I like going for their regular dinner buffets, the price is reasonable and the food is good. Again, it is more of the nice atmosphere and spaciousness that I enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also remember they served stone crab claws. I also think they serve calamari.

I will only eat at the MSS seafood buffet if I got it as a comp. That's about it. Same with the Fremont seafood buffet.

7. OK Pabst

OK Pabst Grinder

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have just learned a couple of things about seafood and its not great news:
    1) the US government only inspects 2% of the fish that enters the US.
    2) Tiplaia farms in the far east consist of pens for these fish set up under chicken coops so their main diet is chicken shit.
    Ill stick to canned sardines until I get the low down on those guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Youd be much better off ubering to a local seafood restaurant. Seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add me to the list of people who are underwhelmed with the MSS seafood buffet. Not worth the money or the long lines. Spend an extra few bucks and get great seafood at the Chart House at the Golden Nugget. Unfortunately, the McCormick and Schmick in LV bit the dust.

10. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Talapia???? I was born & raised in Hawaii and as a kid, tilapia was considered a RUBISH fish. Similar to CARP. We caught them just to rid the waters of that rubbish fish. I know there're farm grown now but I will NEVER, NEVER eat them. Can't even imagine how anyone could consume this garbage.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, me too. I grew up fishing for tilapia just for the fun of it. We never kept them, just enjoyed catching them and wagering amongst us as to who can catch the biggest one.

I grew up in the sugar plantations and the fish were in the irrigation ditches, and the reservoirs. We took our bikes and roamed the cane fields with our makeshift fishing poles.

I'm pretty sure the tilapia being offered nowadays are a far cry from the ones we fished for in our youth. Yeah, those fish were nasty, and the irrigation water was tainted with pesticides.

I think thats why for me, I have a hard time trying tilapia in a restaurant. Just a mind thing.

12. Don the Dentist

Don the Dentist LV resident

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was on East Flamingo. Back in my "corporate" days, one of my vendors took me there quite often. Great oysters! Then on to the Thomas & Mack for some UNLV basketball. Ah...the good old days!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.