1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Polar Vortex Trip

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by John Novak, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Novak

John Novak Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Sorry this report is a bit dated but I was unaware of this group up until recently.

I had my annual trip to Vegas scheduled for Jan 30 - Feb 2 from Chicago. Well those of you in the Midwest probably have a vivid memory of the incredibly cold weather that descended upon us. The high temp in Chicago on the 30th was a whopping -15F. Despite the cold (I was told that temps at higher elevations are colder than that so I should be fine)

I made my way out to OHare to catch a 10AM flight. About 1/2 way there I get the message from AA saying that my flight was cancelled. We pulled off the expressway and called the airline and were rebooked on a later flight that day. We the next day and a half were pretty stressful as I had 5 flights rebooked and subsequently cancelled. Just 5 minutes after I cancelled all of my arrangements to hotels and shows, AA says I can get on the 1030pm on Jan 31. Since I already had the days off from work we decided to go for it. I rebooked at The D and extended my stay until Feb 2.

Well after a 2 hour delay we finally made it to the hotel just after 1AM.
    Totally exhausted we headed over to Nacho Daddy for some food and margarita's. I have just begun stay downtown over the past 2 years and like downtown more and more as the area continues to give me reasons to stay. Maybe it's my imagination but the people seem a but friendlier not to mention the gambling aspect. I like to play craps and bj and fins that $5 to be perfect for my bankroll. With Uber it's easy enough to split me time between the strip and downtown, best of both worlds.

We had some luck gambling, actually was up about $500 for the trip. Won a few $150 slot jackpots and was a bit over on my craps and bj sessions.

We saw Tape Face at Bally's. I was familiar with him from AGT so kind of new what to expect but he was better than expectations. The show requires a lot of audience participation in that he pulls several people on stage to do bits. I was amazed at how funny the random people were up on stage. Me and the wife took a short detour to Planet 13 prior to the show and were relieved that neither of us were chosen. In retrospect that was not a good idea!!

Had lunch at the Cosmo, China Poblano. Food was solid, of course a bit pricey but overall a good choice.
    Also had dinner at Carson Kitchen downtown. Very good food but the place is kind of cramped and unremarkable in terms of decor. Still I would go back in a heartbeat.

Anyway the trip turned out great despite all of the angst in getting out of Chiberia.

I received an offer from total rewards for a free night at the Rio last week. It didn't take much nudging for me to feel sorry for myself because of the tension involved in my last trip so booked another trip. This time solo for 3 nights on 4/25. I was able to use a $100 credit I had from hotels.com from my last trip so tacked on 2 nights at El Cortez for just a few extra bucks. Never stayed at either property and know they both have issues but I don't tend to spend lots of time in my room other than sleeping and showering, so as long as they are clean I will be a happy camper.

• Like Like x 9
  2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed the TR. Funny you're staying in Rio and El Co next trip; the rooms couldn't be more different. Rio rooms are overly large, El Co rooms are a bit small. I don't like the gambling or food at Rio (larger house take than they need to do at that location, never had a good meal at any of their outlets) but next door at the Gold Coast they have really good gaming and 2 terrific Chinese places. Across the street is the Palms which also has great gaming and better food options including a very highly rated buffet. Downtown you know.

3. John Novak

John Novak Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes thanks...I was thinking I would spend some time at Gold Coast, never been there but want to do some gambling there and try Ping Pang Pong and also see the changes at the Palms. Since the Rio Room was free I will probably just use it for crashing out on Saturday night. There must be something in town that weekend 4/25-4/27. Seems like room rate are inflated that week, especially Friday, thus the El Co for 2 nights.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! I was in Chicago during that time frame. I stayed inside as much as possible. Glad you could eventually get there!

5. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy you persisted thru all the changes! I probably would have given up! Nice report....the D is fun for gambling. I have had to give up on the noisy hotel rooms, tho.

6. Vegasworm

Vegasworm Finger Clicker Extraordinaire

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you and your wife were able to squeeze in a partial trip. I would totally feel sorry for myself and book another trip too! Good strategy, and I hope you enjoy your spring trip.

The weather has been insane everywhere! We're watching the effects of the bomb cyclone blizzard melt off as my kids start spring break this week. Crazy!

Vegasworm

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.