1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

$20 Trick work with Rental Cars?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by 162, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 162

162 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a question if anyone has tipped the car rental companies for a complimentary upgrade on the type of vehicle they were renting? And if you have, did you tip the rental desk or the garage attendant for the upgrade? Thanks

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why pay $20 when you can prob upgrade for a few bucks a day extra anyway?

4. PaulBowdry

PaulBowdry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I said on another thread I gave them 10 bucks to skip the upsell insurance crap routine.

5. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a bad idea.

6. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually book full size, use Alamo and can check in on line, no counter. When I get to lot, I just ask attendant for upgrade. Give them a small thank you if they upgrade me. Haven't been turned down yet.

As a reminder, after you book, check back often, rates change almost weekly.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    I really like this place!
  7. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We always get an upgrade at Alamo just by asking. Never had much luck with Budget though. Once we booked a convertible at Alamo because that happened to be the cheapest but we didn't want it so we asked for a DOWNGRADE to a mid-size, our preferred car, and got that too.

8. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll post this here since its not for a Vegas hotel. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this in their hometown or in Vegas to try to get an upgrade on the vehicle.

Next time I rent I think I'm definitely going to try it. Just ask the clerk hey if I slip you a 20 can you get me a better car for the same price......worth a shot I guess.

Overplanning Extreme NYNY, MSS, Sam't Town
  9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though we do not rent in Vegas, we do rent often elsewhere. Most of our rentals go direct to car, but with those counter ones, we just say no. NEVER, EVER start a discussion or argue with them about insurance, just say no and keep moving along.

As to upgrade - as mentioned above, sometimes the price to go from economy to standard or full size is only a few bucks a day. You can just reserve in advance in those cases.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  10. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Join whatever Express Club they offer.

Rent the cheapest car you can.

Go to the kiosk an hour before your reservation time. In most cases your car won't be ready yet.

They will tell you to go pick any car from whatever section your car is in.

Now you walk over to whatever section the car that you really want is in, pick a winner and drive off!

Free upgrade!

In the event that they already have a car picked out for you complain about the model or color they will send you over to pick any car you want and you repeat the process above.

11. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all. Sorry for the duplicate and havign to be moved by the way. We are renting for almost two weeks when we do so a free upgrade would be worth way more than 20 dollars. Definitely will try it and give feed back here when I do. will be either Enterprise or Hertz as they are the only local choices.

Overplanning Extreme NYNY, MSS, Sam't Town
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    exactly. also they are more at the mercy of inventory. usually the cheaper cars go first, so you're already likely to get a free upgrade without even asking.

13. LindaP

LindaP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always rent the cheapest car at Alamo and then ask the lot attendant for an upgrade (we ask for an Impala and have never been turned down yet) - we'll give the lot attendant $5 or $10. And just recently we've been asking the lot attendant for a better discount when we return the car - 2 for 2 on that so far! We'll give them a $10 or $20 depending on the additional discount (they took $50 off the last time!)

- Linda in TX

14. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure how to go about this? So pardon me if I'm not "in the know." But, who do I see for this?

I rent with Alamo, and rent a full size car. I bypass the counter and head straight for the full size aisle. I would love to "upgrade" to a luxury car. Who do I see in the garage that has the power to adjust my reservation from full size to luxury using the $20 trick? All I've ever seen in the garage was an Alamo booth and people just walking around the lot. Is that where I go to? I wouldn't go and do this at the counter in the lobby, correct?

15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's usually a person directing folks to the right aisle. Ask them.

16. motownbob

motownbob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am coming back in April . Always rent a car . Prices are way out there , but I did manage a really good deal thru Advantage / Priceline . It is for a Standard car , but would like something bigger, nicer for the long road trip to Arizona and back . Anyone have any luck trying the $20.00 trick at Advantage ? Bob

17. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually rent a full sized car while in Vegas. I have tried the "$20 trick" trying to upgrade to a Lincoln town car or MKZ. Twice I was successful and the third time would have worked, but the windshield wiper on the MKZ was broken and I had to settle for a Chrysler 3000. I had a problem with a tire on the town car having a slow leak; had to add air to it twice during the rental. I complained about this when I dropped the car off and they ended up charging me only $85 for the week I had the car. When you pull up to the valet in a new town car they treat you like royalty.

18. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you hand them a fiver, they do too.

19. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It used to be easy to get upgraded to a Chrysler 300 at Dollar for ten bucks to the lot attendant. Once it worked for a Pacifica at the counter in San Diego when we were going to drive a long way and end up in Vegas. Unfortunately, the "instant upgrade" at Dollar stopped working (for me at least) after the rental center opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.