1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"O" or Absinthe

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by springlakecake, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. springlakecake

springlakecake Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting ready for a quick trip to Vegas in June! I'd like to see a show and am debating between "O" or Absinthe. I've seen a few Cirque shows including La Nouba in Orlando (my favorite), KA (didn't care for it as much) and Ovo (traveling show). I have also seen La Reve which was amazing too.

I love the acrobatics in the Cirque shows, but I also think I would like the variety act/humor in the Absinthe show. Can anyone help me make a decision? Thanks!

2. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "O" will be the classic Cirque show, with a huge, high quality production. Given that you liked the other shows you listed I would expect that you will like this. It will be expensive.

The humor in Absinthe is really, really raunchy. If you are easily offended you will hate it. I personally loved it! The atmosphere in the tent is really unique and adds to the show.

I recommend Absinthe.

3. kfn8ed

kfn8ed Tourist

O will be a let down after Le Reve. We really enjoyed Absinthe. We are geezers but not easy to offend. If it were my choice and my money I'd choose Absinthe. Tell the Green Fairy that we sent you.

4. springlakecake

springlakecake Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, wow! Thank you! So La Reve is a better show than O? I am not easily offended, so maybe I should choose something a little different and go with Absinthe. I'd love to go to both, but they are both on the expensive side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. garrman

garrman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoyed both "O" and Le Reve.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As said, "O" is a classy Cirq. For some reason, we did not see if for years. Finally went last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. Might do it again someday, but we still go to Love everytime (10+). Abs is totally different. Some raunch, some carnival cirq like stuff in a small setting. Since you have done Reve, I would go for Abs. Or both?

7. TwiceTheJava

TwiceTheJava Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    O is very Cirque and after a while I felt "been there, seen that." It was good but pricey. Absinthe had raunchy humor and variety. My preference would be Absinthe.

8. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not seen "O", but I'm of the opinion that once you've seen Cirque, you['ve seen "all" of Cirque, and it's just the background music. If you like the Beatles, see Love, if you like Michael Jackson, see MJ One.

IMHO, Absinthe, on the other hand was VERY entertaining. And raunchy humor. I'm just sorry that I didn't get to see the "original" Gazillionaire and Penny Pibbets,

9. Packbacker

Packbacker High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You cannot go wrong with Absinthe.

Bday trip
  10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two very different experiences. O is a typical Cirque acrobatic show with water in a huge theater. Absinthe is a raunchy, humor-filled acrobatic show in a small theater. The acrobatics in O may be more spectacular but when viewed from far away they lose their impact. Whereas something as simple as chair stacking is really impressive when it happens right next to you (and thought is in your head that this guy may be landing in my lap soon).

Personally, I loved Absinthe and thought O was just okay. But you need to be okay with the blue humor in Absinthe to enjoy it.

11. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you are inclined to see O , I highly suggest you imbibe several shot of Absinthe beforehand. trust me

12. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe! Best show I've seen in Vegas, and probably the only one I would consider seeing again. But like previous posts have mentioned, it's not for the easily offended.

13. springlakecake

springlakecake Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    okay, thank you everyone for your suggestions! Sounds like Absinthe might be the one to see!

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe no doubt about it

15. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If only they could get Dragone to come back and revamp O. The show feels like a time capsule in many ways. What was impressive for Vegas when the show premiered is now a bit yawn-inducing.

16. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe for sure.

17. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

I'll be the dissenting vote. We've seen them both and, although we've seen most of the the Cirque shows, we were blown away by "O". I kept saying to myself, "how do they do that"?

18. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw both shows twice.

Laughed through Absinthe and enjoyed all the acts both times.

First time I saw O it was a battle to stay awake but thought it might be jet lag as it was the day after I flew in from the East Coast.
    Second time I knew for sure it was the show not the time difference.

• Like Like x 1
  19. todd7764

todd7764 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I'm the only person that did not like Absinthe. I am no prude, and I thought it was excessively profane and trashy. Seemed like they were overdoing it. Trying to up the shock value I guess.

20. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe by far everything related to cirque du soleil = zzzzzzzzz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.