1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I bought a new 2017 car today

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now before everybody starts pointing out that when I bought my 2014 Subaru, I stated it would probably be my last car. Things change. We are moving from the 50 years of savings mode into spending mode.

So today I drove my 2014 Outback over to the dealer and said give me the bottom line. Now mind you, I didn't do this blind. I spent all day yesterday at 3 different Subaru dealers getting offers. I saved the biggest dealer in the state for my last stop. All four gave me the exact same number for trade in value. A 2014 Outback with 18,600 miles and a knicked up rear bumper from the jerk who hit my car in the parking lot and kept going last week. $17,000.

Bottom line...largest dealer in the state beat my best offer by $1,300. No dicking around, no haggling, just give me your price.

Same car comparison at all 4. 2017 Outback Limited. Leather interior, Eyesight System, Nav and a whole lot of bells and whistles that is going to take me a long time to learn.

Two surprising things...Subaru is offering 0% financing through Jan 3. But because we hold all our property in a Trust, cars included, I couldn't finance through the Trust. According to dealer, banks don't allow it. So i wrote a check.

Second thing...How long it took to wrap up the deal, even though I then paid cash. Three hours from sitting down with salesman to out the door in my new car. I knew the model, looked at computer inventory that was on the lot and chose the color in 10 minutes.

Now I need a millennial to explain all the features and how to work them.:D Possibly one more reason I might have to get a smartphone. Many features on the car can be controlled through a phone. I'll be kicking and screaming all the way to the phone store.

• Like Like x 1
  2. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    awesome! pics???

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good on ya, Joe. I'd like to get something new but then I take another road trip in the Ridgeline and remember we paid cash nine years ago on a lowball price, it's a Honda, and it only has 110k on it.

Happy driving!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe after I lose the white tint from the road salt.:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have an ambitious teenage neighbor around who could help first off with the new phone and then link to the car?
    These new phones are pretty complicated at points and it took me quite awhile to Bluetooth mine to the car radio.Actually the hardest part was changing the radio settings.So many options..Jeez I'd still be happy with an Audivox FM tuner mounted under the dash wired into the factory AM radio..Good Luck with the transformation !

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations and good luck and many safe miles. Good shopping.

My wife just turned 318,000 miles on her vehicle so she might be in the market for something new in a few years.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The phone is linked, but it can't find my address book from my flip phone. I just think the phone is too old. Good thing about the only thing I say is "redial" and it calls the last number which is always the house phone because that is about the only thing I call from the car to say I'm on my way home.

I know I sound like a broken record and it doesn't appear that way, but I embrace technology, but not when it interferes with enjoying my life. I just refuse to walk around carrying a phone 24/7. When we travel, I carry it in my pocket. At home, it stays in the car and we use a land line and answering machine. We have survived quite well. Everyone who needs to get a hold of us understands. Except for maybe a death in the family, nothing is that important that it can't wait until we get back home to return a call.

Now, not having a desktop and internet access would be a giant crisis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had a Toyota Tercel SR5 (4x4 Wagon)
    Ugly as sin but that car was the BEST!
    When it was time to upgrade, I looked at the Outback before settling on the CRV and Pilot.

Your Honda is just a baby yet!

Me = bought new in 2000 & 2002 - (now 165k & 150k)
    (Mechanically sound - only 2 dots of rust)

The new ones are nice but I'm holding out.
    I really wanted to crack 200k on them.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well you are still doing so-called work.:D Me, Feb marks 9 wonderful years of retirement.:thumbsup:

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really no complaints against my 1998 Accord. IIRC I had 240,000+ on that sucker before the head casket started leaking. After 16 years, I had the new car itch, anyway.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm paid to travel, eat and play golf. I'm am NEVER going to retire!

Congrats again on the new ride. Yep, I'm good still quite good with the Ridgeline, even if I do sneak a gander at the new ones from time to time. Now if I could get Terri out of the Passat ...

• Like Like x 1
  12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an iPhone -- it is phone, recording machine, text device, GPS system, computer, camera, photo album, video recorder, music player, video vault and internet portal in one small package. My wife, friends, family and I still talk to each other the old fashioned way when we are together and at meals.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish Honda would get back in the wagon business and kit it up something like the AllTrack or AllRoad ... and not badge it an Acura.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love a new car smell!
    Congrats, Joe!

RICHARD

15. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow Joe way to go. I suppose it comes with the companion fare for the first year as well? What a lucky girl!!! Congrats! Now park responsibly. Haha

16. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Props to those that keep cars past the 110k mark. The most miles I've ever put on one car is about 50k. I get bored with a car after a few years and want something new. 5 years is the most I've ever owned a car.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thunder, the flashing lights and what not always get my attention. I read reviews, kick tires, subscribe to any number of auto mags ... and then I lapse back into utilitarian mode, which is not always the case with us and other consumer matters. With the Ridgeline it makes it easier because it really is a perfect vehicle for our needs. Now I'd not be so sanguine if I was taking the thing in all the time, but it's a Honda. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outback Limited, nice and they get great reviews. I'm looking at a car next year, maybe an Audi allroad. My 08 G35 almost has 40k miles.

19. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations!

We had been test driving cars and doing exhaustive research for about a year. We almost pulled the trigger on a baby beemer (x1), but after driving the loaded 2017 Kia Sportage SX (turbo) AWD, we decided to stop being pretentious and buy the Kia. It had more options and more HP than the beemer, a way better warranty, and cost soooo much less! We put down 10K with our trade-in and financed the rest through Kia for 60 months at 0.9%. Our new payment is super low, the car is loaded and fun to drive, does great in the snow, and we couldn't be happier.

Enjoy that new Subie!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  20. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My daughter just bought a Kia sportage and it's pretty darn nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.