1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

McAfee

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I removed all forms of McAfee from my laptop because I feel it slows the performance way down. I have Windows Defender.

Will I be okay?

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, if you have windows 10 you can just use defender

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McAfee is a nutcase who dodges Belizian assassins by day and is on the lam by night.

No way I'd let any of his software on my computers.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You and your computer will survive.

5. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overall, Windows Defender doesn’t provide bad protection, assuming you keep Windows up-to-date, use an up-to-date browser, and avoid potentially dangerous plug-ins like Java. In short: the standard computer security practices you should be following go a long way, and Windows Defender combines that with a baseline of protection.

• If you want the absolute best protection: then you’re going to have to pay a little bit for it. Kaspersky is consistently ranked at the top of various antivirus tests, and we like its interface, so if you want the best possible protection for your PC, look no further.
    • If you want the best free protection: You can examine rankings for yourself to see the best free options, but we think Avira Free Antivirus currently offers the best balance between protection and non-intrusiveness. It regularly scores highly for protection, and as long as you uncheck the Ask Toolbar during installation, uninstall its browser extension, and don’t mind the occasional popup ad, it’s less intrusive than most other free options.
    • If you want the least intrusive free protection: Windows Defender will never trick you into installing something you don’t want, and it will never nag you with ads. If you care more about intrusiveness than you do about perfect protection, Windows Defender is a decent option. from how to geek

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing that info @shokhead.
    Kaspersky user here and think it's worth every penny but it took awhile to get used to it.

7. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've read that about Kaspersky.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have Kaspersky also have had it for years. The one good feature is the version I have ,total Security can be used on 5 different devices . I have an old desktop running Vista that I should replace ,but dont want to spend the money now.

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the answers. My laptop is running a lot faster this morning.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Kaspersky for my AV. Unfortunately many of these antivirus programs require an annual fee for you to continue to use their product.

that said there are some resetter programs that will reset the software but supposedly these resetter programs are illegal.

Me? Naaaah, I would do anything illegal right? :goofy:

When I bought a new laptop last year they tried to get me to buy all their products, McAfee, office, etc. etc. They have it all on the box when you pick up the laptop, I guess hoping that you will buy some of their other products along with the laptop.

11. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i use AVG, no firewall as I download lots of stuff it will try to block with it on...its free but for extra settings there is a paid version...just google AVG serials, copy and paste and get the program free, sometimes they will kick the serial if too many people use it and will let you know that you lost protection, simply enter a new serial and good to go, usually does 4 years of protection

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our systems people recommend AVG. I finally upgraded to the paid version mainly to stop the nagging.

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used Kapersky in the past but I had to drop it because the last edition I used made me crazy. It made a temp file that took over 98% of my hard drive space. It took me forever to figure out the problem and stop it. I've been using AVG and Ad-Aware Antivirus and been pretty satisfied. Firefox is also pretty good at addons that help filter out spyware and they are pretty good at blocking stuff like Java and other extensions that may be dangerous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.