1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So are you an "old school" coffee maker type or a Keurig person?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Flowers, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am old school, in part because I have such strong and vivid memories of my mother -- who drinks lots of coffee every day, even at 84 years old -- brewing a pot multiple times a day. The aroma was wonderful and is now in my small Manhattan apartment when I brew a half a pot of coffee most mornings. I also am a little concerned about the environmental impact of lots of plastic cups. The flip side is that I often waste coffee. Even when I brew just 4 cups I might just drink two. (I live alone.)

I'm asking because I am old school at home (I have a basic Cuisinart) but am watching QVC at the moment and the Today Special Value is a Keurig. It's a great deal so I purchased one for work as in one of my work locations there's no handy Keurig for my fellow employees and me to use so having one in my office makes getting coffee (or tea) much easier and certainly cheaper than buying it, typically 2 to 4 bucks a cup for black coffee.

I am thinking though about buying a second one for home.

Curious as to whether my fellow VMBers have a preference.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Old school here; I have a Krups.

I think your idea of getting one for your workplace is a great idea (we have a Tassimo at work that the department provides, with coffee pods) but like you, I prefer brewing a pot at home. I think k-cups/pods are too damn expensive per cup, although I can see where a fresh cup every time might taste better than the pot that's been sitting on the burner for a while...

3. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use a keurig at home, 2 different schedules meant a lot of wasted coffee in a pot...........as to the environmental impact, you can get reusable "pods" you fill with whatever ground coffee you so desire, the only waste are the coffee grounds themselves.

4. Chief Ski

Chief Ski Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried the k-cup krap now back to an old fashioned percolator .

5. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    k-cups for me - we have a new product here available that basically allows you to compost the used pod. We do city organic pick up so I definitely will try these. upload_2016-12-4_18-41-49.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    with 2 people drinking coffee at different times and only 2 cups each a day, just got second Keurig, after 1st one died(3 years). Make sure it can be used with other pods that are not Keurig. Some of their coffee makers need the Keurig pods (there are ways around). We use reusable pods and fill with own coffee. Can get expensive if you use their pods.

7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I will keep my brewing pot at home and use the Keurig at work, rather than getting a second Keurig for home. Eaglejohn, the QVC promo comes with a permanent pod that can be used with your own ground coffee. It comes with a lot of pods and I sometimes get some on sale to take with me while traveling. If I can't get pods at good prices when the 25 or so they give you run out I'll use my own ground coffee at the office. My current fave is Illy, which apparently now also has Keurig pods.

8. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Keurig that is now sitting unused at home, as we have one for the department at work already. I've switched back to a regular style at home as I found I usually ended up wanting more than just one cup with the Keurig.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    French press.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ancient Mr. Coffee. But now I grind my own beans.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, percolators are the best!! My mother had an old electric Farberware percolator; wish I had dragged it home when she died!

12. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We only use kcup at home.

My MTL still uses a percolator .

13. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Old school because the Keurig died.
    I have a french press too but rarely (never) use it.
    I used to take a small 4-cup coffee maker with me to Vegas.
    Now I travel light and I'll buy kcups and a cheap mug if the room has a Keurig.
    I hate having to wait for Starbucks to open. :cuss:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot about the french press option. I have some friends who swear by it.

George, love, love, love the look of that stainless steel percolator. My mother had a similar one like that for decades. Wow that photo brings back memories. That pot looks so ELEGANT.

Insin, I hear you not wanting to wait for a coffee place to open. I really like having coffee when I first wake up and enjoying it in my room while on vacation.

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cusinart drip coffee maker with the stainless steel cone shaped basket, no need for filters. Never had luck with percolators, had two or three that all broke within in a year. Not a fan of the K-cups due to packaging waste and cost per cup. There's an interesting story about the inventor of the Keurig system, he was forced out before it became a hit, the company is doing $4 Billion a year now.

17. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am NOT a morning person, and I actually keep a keurig in the bedroom tucked away. (I'm the only coffee drinker.)

I never would have paid a dollar a pod, but I buy an 80 pack of the mesh pods (less waste) for 28$, very affordable. (San Francisco Bay "fog Chaser", I like mine black, so I want it strong but smooth.)

I was always a grind'n'brew gal, but TWO self grinding units died on me, which made me go to keurig, and I've loved it.

So, for just me on work days, an older Keurig (the new ones scan for their brand, no way) and a french press for guests!

18. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^ THIS!!
    I reject the new Keurig on principle....
    I dislike being locked into only being able to use their brand!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought one of the fancy new ones for my mom for her birthday with a killer sale. Once I read that you could only use THEIR cups, we returned it and bought the original model. No way am I using proprietary, expensive brands only!

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the Cuisinart to make a pot in the am and a new Keurig for single cups and hot chocolate .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.