1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New York City query

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by rje, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rje

rje High-Roller

My wife and I will be in New York next month. I am going for a conference then staying 2 extra days. (We’ll basically have Late Friday afternoon and evening and all day Saturday).

Has anyone been to the 9/11 Museum or the top of the WTC yet?

Last time I was there- going on 3 years ago- The reflecting pools were open, but not much else.

My plan is to go to the museum around 5 or so, then the observatory.

Tried to get dinner reservations for the restaurant on top of the tower , but only had 6:00.

Long story short, any nice places for dinner around the WTC you’d recommend?

Thanks!

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what price range you're looking at but North End Grill was pretty good a couple of years ago. About a 5-10 minute walk from WTC. Pricey but it's NYC! We enjoyed dinner there. Didn't do the museum but have heard good things.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    9/11 memorial is awesome. Plan on a min of two hours... could easily be four.

4. ebonecapone

ebonecapone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just there in June, and we spent 3 hours in museum/memorial, top of the tower. We bought our tickets online with an exact time for the museum, so we got there right when it opened. We winged it for the top of the building, and we only waited in line for 5 minutes max.

No food recommendation, as we were there early and had already left and had lunch in Brooklyn. Have fun!

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to take the subway up to Greenwich Village and walk around, lots of restaurants and bars. Also, there is the High Line near the Meatpacking District that's hopping. Both are weather dependent.

6. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't help you with food question but the top of the tower and museum is incredible

We spent 6 hours

7. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RJE ....for a burger and a beer go to the EAR INN on Spring street about a 10-15 minute walk from WTC. Place has been opened since 1820 give or take a few years

8. joeynym

joeynym Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if your on budget i would go for Bill's Bar & Burger!! its right across the street.

9. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

The Occulus (huge mall by Westfield) next to the Memorial opened last month. There are tons of eating option in there. There are also many restaurants at the World Financial Center. It's a very different scene from 3 years ago and may take more time.

10. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a lifelong New Yorker but never really venture that far down to lower Manhattan, so I can't help you with anything right near the WTC site. However, this restaurant is not too far - it is a gorgeous atmosphere with great food (by celebrity chef Chris Santos) and as an FYI, a Vegas version of this original location recently opened up at The Cosmo.

http://beautyandessex.com/home/

11. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I am around the area, I always take the M6 for a ride up to Central Park.
    Passes all the hoods and restaurants and whatever have you.
    So take a ride on the M6, and decide for yourself.

12. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i trust the opinions of people on here. I'll be in nyc for the first week of December...with a pregnant wife. We'd like to see a bit of central park and go to the Met. I'm thinking pedicab/rickshaw might be better than walking for her...good idea or bad idea?

13. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the Winter a pedicab? Ok, no way! Even the horse carriage would be too cold!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in the Financial district a couple weeks ago and went past Bill's Burgers. Looked to be the same font as Bill's Burgers in Harrah's AC. Maybe related or maybe just a coincidence.

Anyway... There are tons of restaurants in NYC. Let Open Table or Google guide your way or just wonder about. NYC has great restaurants.

15. Brooklyn B

Brooklyn B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Gomar, the pedi-cabs are expensive. They charge by the minute, unless you can work out a flat rate. Going into NYC on Saturday. I'll try and get their per minute rate for you. @ rje, about the restaurant at the top of the WTC you still have to pay the price of admission to the observatory to get to the restaurant. The view is amazing.

16. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pro tips!

17. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no interest in pedi-cabs, or any other type of cabs. I prefer the bus or the subway.
    You've gots me confused with another poster as I live in Brooklyn.

18. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Need to go to World Trade for work pretty frequently, and found a restaurant I like a lot:
    http://leshalles.net/location/les-halles-downtown/

Les Halles. It's the downtown location of the restaurant Anthony Bourdain cooked at for quite a while. French Brasserie with good food, a nice atmosphere, and good bar. Hard to pass on the steak frites (which I think is great), but I've seen dining companions get a good chunk of the menu and it all looks good. Price is also very reasonable (for NYC).

From World Trade, it's behind the Millenium Hilton, about a block or two.

Edit: Woops, just saw the date of the original post and realize that OP has probably been and gone, but my recommendation still stands

Vegas Baby!
  19. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it's going to be cold if she's walking too lol.

Pedicabs are way overpriced IMO. Carriages are expensive too but much better than the Pedi's. Personal preference though. If she's pregnant and walking is an issue then splurge for the carriage ride. You'll have a blanket at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.