1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help us choose a downtown hotel...??

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Suekel, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I have been to Vegas many times and usually do 3 night trips and stay on the Strip. We may go DT for a few hours every third trip or so but have spent the majority of our time on the Strip.

However, for our upcoming 20th Anniversary we are doing a 5 night trip. We've agreed to spend the first night DT for a change of pace and better gambling conditions, then spend a day visiting some sights (Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire etc) before checking in to a room on the Strip for the remaining time. We've stayed at many different properties over the years but Bally's is our standby for generous comp rooms, good location and great staff. We consider the Jubilee rooms very comfortable and are even fine with Indigo tower rooms on occasion, to give you an idea of what we require in a room.

We had agreed to stay at MSS since we like to play a good bit of VP, especially bartops. However now my husband is leaning toward the D. He told me to ask the opinion of my "Internet Vegas People" so here I am.

Base price for our Monday night 1 night stay is about the same at both places, at $50'ish for the night, but The D has a resort fee added. Otherwise, are these basically "6 of one, half dozen of the other"? Is the room quality notably better at either place? I'd say D has a location advantage - any thing else to consider?

Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Edited to add: The room at the D at that price is a Premium King Corner, so not just the base room. I think the room at MSS is a Deluxe King or something like that.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed at the D many times and I consider it home base when I'm solo or traveling with friends, but when I take the wifey I stay elsewhere. I would recommend MSS for your stay. The D wins on location, but that's about it. MSS is a very nice place with nice rooms and good food choices. I have never stayed @ Bally's so I can't compare. If you're only staying one night DT it probably doesn't matter a ton, but if I were taking the wife I'd still probably choose MSS over the D.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously I am a MSS fan and have never stayed at the D, but when I walk in there the music is always so loud, I usually turn around and walk out. I don't know their bartop paytables either, but MSS has 9/6 JOB with the scratch cards.

4. DickTater

DickTater Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stayed at both and I think the rooms are pretty comparable. The MSS rooms are a little larger, but the D's have been more recently remodeled. The only annoyance at either place for me is that the shower head at MSS is about 5'8". I am 6'1". I have never been able to figure out why the shower head is placed so low. But, like I said, its just an annoyance and it certainly hasn't kept me from staying there. Personally, I don't think location of any downtown property is an issue. The distance from the MSS to Fremont Street is probably less than the distance from your room in Bally's to Las Vegas Blvd. I walk all over downtown. Of course, D has a pool, MSS doesn't. I'm a table game player and I think the comps are pretty similar. I don't think that you can go wrong at either place, its just a matter of personal preference.

5. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if important MSS has a mini fridge in every room

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't stayed at MSS for awhile but I really like the place.

7. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it wasn't one of the choices but we really like the golden nugget rush tower rooms. We usually stay on the strip as well and the GN rooms are very nice.

8. retro

retro Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    given your choices, I would opt for the MSS. If willing to pay more, I would go for the rush tower at golden nugget. I don't like to play there but I do like to stay there if with the wife. The rush lounge is also fun, live entertainment nightly (might be some night that's dark). Fun place to hangout is the Golden Gate but if you want to stay there I would only recommend the suite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.