1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lottery winners went on the Today Show

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aye Carumba!! WTF were these people thinking? Last thing I'd do .

2. thunderdave

thunderdave Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And she claims she wants to keep working for awhile.
    If you're not going to quit your job after winning the lottery, what's the point in playing?

She could have a full-time job just trying to invest/give away/donate that much money.

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "I wanna be on TV" "Iwanna be famous"
    Face it...there are 3 main types of lottery players
    1.poor
    2.dumb
    3.Degen

4. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd comment, but I'm too busy researching if any family tree branches possibly reach into Tennessee.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Did any of them see a financial adviser, yet ?.........truthfully ?

6. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

They hired an attorney and it was his idea for them to go on the show. They had "lottery winners" on the screen on quotations because the family went to NYC before contacting lottery officials. They flew back to Tennessee and went directly to the lottery office. It has now been confirmed that they did. I thought their daughter was sitting with them but it turns out that the woman is their attorney's daughter. Any good attorney wouldn't have their family paraded around so this may become a circus show

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone can say this was stupid. Maybe, maybe not.

In reality, they were not going to have any luck keeping this quiet. Even in a larger town, this information gets out and the media pounces. The opted to LEAD the press mania.

No matter what they opted for, life was going to change. As to work - I would surely go in and close up projects and be there if they needed me. But I surely would not be staying for any length of time.

I have to say. Spending the morning in NYC with the Today show crew had to be more fun than fighting with the press on their front lawn once folks found out. And, they would.

8. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    kevin oleary from shark tank had some good advice if you were to win a huge mega jackpot

take the lump sum, dont let the state control the 20 year payout as they can go bankrupt and leave you screwed

then he mentioned how all your friends and family will show up wanting money...he said give them the money they ask for and tell them to never call you again, he said "I didnt like you before i gave you money and I dont like you after I gave you money"

9. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In TN you have to come forward.
    Cannot hide winnings under a LLC or a trust
    I wonder why they did not wait to collect their winnings.
    But to go on national TV?
    Uh no!

10. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are only 4 states that lst you remain anonymous period and further 6 if LLC or trust
    None of the 3 winners live in these states AFAIK
    They have a dumbass lawyer....media wont be on your lawn if you take a month's vacation
    My name is one thing, going on national network TV?
    NFW, get real

11. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasn't that the lawyer standing behind them smiling? He wanted his fifteen minutes of fame. Great advice and they took it.

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is so me! Anyone who really made a difference in my life is gone or would never ask for a cent. The people who would ask for money have no business asking for it. I guess giving out some token handouts makes some sense as long as it's understood it won't happen again. Oleary also said to put the money in bonds and just live off the interest. You'll have enough to be comfortable but not enough for people to sponge off of.

As to the media appearance, it only makes sense to do the one required press conference and that's it. But if the jackpots are going to be this large, they should give the option for privacy. You shouldn't have to expose yourself to the security nightmare that being public buts you in.

13. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard a good one: Before you go to the lottery office, text everyone in your phone and ask to borrow $500. If they say yes, give them $1,000. If they send a check, give them $5,000. If they say no, delete them.

I don't think going on tv is a big deal. Does anyone remember any jackpot winner? Even these people, who were on so recently? It's only fifteen minutes of fame. We tire of them by the first commercial break.

14. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The issue isn't really about you or I finding out who they are or if we remember them, but its more an issue of people that already know them finding out that they are the lotto winners.

Its just going to be a case of everybody they ever knew, and then some, are going to come by with their hand out, every charity is going to call/mail/knock on their door, they'll be the target of frivolous lawsuits, con artists and scammers will target them, they'll get death threats, others will try to claim some or all of the jackpot as theirs, etc

15. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Imagine if you worked with these people and they returned to their jobs like nothing had happened. How would it be possible to be a co-worker or be their supervisors? He works in a warehouse and she works in a dermatologist office. Makes you wonder if they'll keep "brown-bagging" it for lunch. Supposedly, according to our local news station, they have heavy security at their home and with them 24/7 now.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  16. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonder if they are buying lunch for everyone today...lol

17. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I'd be much more concerned about strangers who might want to rob me or kidnap my children for ransom.

18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would move to one of those states and set up a trust. I can see this spinning out of control real soon down in Bug Tussle.

19. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where the ticket was bought dictates your privacy

20. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, all their friends and family will know in very short order, no matter how hard they try to hide it. More power to them to just step up and face it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.