1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Credit Card Help with Rapid Rewards Points

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by StephGrahamKC, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently got a Southwest Credit card with a 50,000 bonus for spending $3000.00 within the first 3 months. I got this card the beginning of October sometime. My problem is this.....I want my 50,000 bonus points to go onto next year (2016) so that I can use these points to try to work my way to companion pass. My due date on my credit card appears to be 11/26/2015, although I have not charged anything yet. I need to charge my big amount on or around December 11th (buying a new furnace on it and it has be installed by December 12th). If I charge this on December 11th, do you know when that purchase will post and my rapid rewards points will post? Just curious as I have read lot of different opinions on this via articles, but never had a discussion about it. Any help would be great! Cheers everyone!

2. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

It usually takes a few weeks for the points bonus to hit. Give Chase a call and they can help you figure out your card issue date and the deadline to meet your spend requirement.

4. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So points post exactly on the statement closing date? I was thinking it was a little past that but was but not sure. So based on what you know, a charge on December 11th would post in 2015 on my rapid rewards?

5. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The points post on the statement closing date, not the date of the charge. It will also probably take a day or two for the payment to post. The closing date is usually a few days after the payment due date.

I agree with Cooler, call them and figure it out. You can also change your payment due date, which will drive a change to the statement closing date...if you can move your payment due date to the first of the month, any Dec charges should be billed in Jan and you should be ok. But again, don't take the word of any wag on a internet forum, call Chase and get the real info!

6. bta15

bta15 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the previous poster said it depends on when you statement closing date is. If you statement closes on the 5th of each month, then you should be fine. If it closes on the 18th, you probably won't be ok. The only time it might be gray is if it closes somewhere between 29-31st.

7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you checked to see if bonus points count towards the companion pass? I'm not sure that they do . . . .

8. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless they've changed since Jan this year, they do. My wife got the CP on hers.

9. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

They do.

10. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Irishdave and Cooler said..call Chase..we're all taking a WAG at best

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    go to the flyertalk.com forum mentioned above. Folks there have it down.

Note - it has NOTHING to do when, or if you pay your bill. It has nothing to do with the date of the charge - or at least directly.

It has everything to do with the closing date of the bank statement.

And, yes, the bonus points count. Many people get two cards plus some spending to get to the 110,000 and then get a companion pass for at least a year. Ours was 2 months shy of two years.

As to calling CHASE - be careful. You can easily get it wrong for at least two reasons. First off, the question you ask may not be the EXACT question the answer. And, they really do not know about Southwest.

Go to Flyertalk.com

12. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nostresshere has it all down pat.
    I am in a quandry like you--we have a $2K payment due on a cruise Dec. 22 & DH is going to apply for cards soon to shoot for companion pass again next year. (2 kids out of state in college, and travel is our passion, CP saves us SO much $). But we just charge EVERYTHING we can, deducting from checking so we know we have the $ to pay it off...the last 18 months of CP have been amazing.
    I would do one of 2 things--either get the closing date changed to the last day of the month OR see if you can reschedule that furnace install.

13. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have said, the points post to your SW account at closing date.
    My suggestion is that you find out when your bill cycle date is, and if that does not fit your needs,
    you can log onto your account and there is a link to change billing date. You can then change it to a day of the month that will suit your needs.

I did this (for budget purposes). I received the SW Visa premier card in June or July (the initial statement date was 7-24), I moved it to a day closer to the 1st of the month,
    and my next statement date was Sept 3. (statement dates were: 7-24, 9-2, 10-2)

I hope this make sense. You are not locked into the statement closing date you initially received, it can be changed.

bruce

14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My points are credited 2 days after the statement date on my SWA Visa.

My statement date is the 14th of the month, and my points are credited on the 16th

15. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is similar to DaiLun, my points hit my account 2 days after my statement date. 23rd is statement date, 25th points hit.

Also, as above, the points do count toward companion pass. That's how I got mine this year in large part.

Taking the wife to a work conference
  16. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called and got my statement closing date to the 1st starting December. This should mean that any charges made after that date go on to 2016 correct? The guy on the phone was not that knowledge. If I make my purchase anytime after December 1st (closing date) then my points should be for 2016 right? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.