1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Live Trip Report (10/8 - 10/12) - Insert witty thread title here.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by akhoya362, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

After having read so many trip reports on this forum over the last few months, I figure it's high time for me to return the favor. Putting in a placeholder TR now -- I will update on Tapatalk as I go along. I'll apologize in advance for the delays in posting. Flight is in T-8 hours or so.

Cast of Characters:

Three guys in their mid-to-late twenties (all college buddies). I had originally planned on going with R, who is really an old-timer at heart when it comes to Vegas. (Each trip is capped off with R sitting at the blackjack table the morning before we leave, bleary eyed because he's been sitting there since 3am.) Not your typical millennial Vegas visitor -- R dislikes Vegas nightclubs.

About two weeks ago, L decided to join the trip. L is not a big gambler but loves everything else that Vegas has to offer -- the fine dining, the entertainment, and yes, Vegas nightclubs. Despite having been to Vegas twice now, L has not seen the Bellagio Fountains. The three of us have agreed that this trip is going to be a classy one, so L is less inclined to go to a club this time around. We'll see if we can keep things classy.

I am getting in a day early (hence the Thursday departure). It's mostly due to operator/calendar error on my part. But it actually worked out for the best, because I'll be able to meet LT, a friend who lives abroad whom I haven't seen in six or seven years. He announced on Facebook that he was in Vegas at the same time I was (our trips overlapped by a day), so we'll have a chance to catch up.

We'll be at MGM. I know I made a fuss before about where to stay, but logistically, keeping the entire stay at MGM made the most sense.

On the Agenda:

• Michael Mina @ Bellagio
    • Sinatra @ Encore (following the example of VMB greats)
    • Veranda Brunch @ Mandalay/FS
    • Sterling Brunch @ Bally's
    • Craftsteak @ MGM (we're being lazy)
    • O @ Bellagio
    • Frank, The Man, The Music @ Palazzo
    • Watch the Patriots crush the Cowgirls.

Trip Goals (mostly aspirational, some not):

• Make it to one or the other: Mob Museum or the Neon Museum (at night)
    • Pinball Hall of Fame (this one's for you, pphold)
    • Win a parlayed sports bet. (Parlay suggestions welcome.)
    • Come home with five figures. (Trip bankroll is $8K with a $2K reserve, so this isn't impossible.)
    • [STRIKE]Don't go to the ATM.[/STRIKE] Go to the ATM once at most.
    • [STRIKE]Swing on the chandelier.[/STRIKE] (Cosmo probably frowns on this, so I'll settle for a Verbena at the Chandelier Bar.)
    • Learn how to play baccarat.
    • Smoke a cigar in Vegas. (I've smoked plenty of cigars; none in Vegas. We've talked about doing this for a while. Suggestions welcome.)
    • Have a good time. (This one I'm reasonably certain I'll accomplish.)

Nothing's really set in stone except for the restaurant reservations and the show tickets, so any and all suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have an awesome trip! You will love Sinatra. Get the osso bucco and veal parm. Delicious.

3. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like a great plan. I was almost in Vegas this weekend too. If I was I'd do the four above with you.

looking forward to the Pinball HOF.

Have a great time in Vegas. I'll be in Shreveport.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck!!!

And remember, the POF doesn't open til 11am! ;)

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  5. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck! Casa Fuente in the Forum Shops is a good spot to have a cigar. A little pricey but sometimes they run specials.

6. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

"'cause I'm leaving on a jet plane ..."

DCA was a cluster this morning. They're trying conveyor belt luggage screening for the first time today. (Normally you take it to the X-ray machine yourself.) Let's hope my bag makes it!

Headed to the Admiral's Club and decided to grab a small breakfast (muffins, bagels, and yogurt). Did something I don't usually do, which is grab a Bloody Mary before the flight. (I normally don't drink while flying.) I realized I had five minutes before boarding started -- I downed the Bloody Mary and sped on over to the gate. Sitting in FC now -- probably going to sleep the whole ride over.

See you when I land, VMB.

7. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time akhoya, looking forward to all the action this weekend! Thanks for reporting and safe flight!

8. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck fella, hope you get lots of massive hits and have a shit-ton of fun......VEGAS BABY!!!!

9. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had no idea Vegas has non stops out of Reagan, I'm clearly behind as I'm stuck flying out of Dulles next week (hopefully metro has a bus to take me there from the end of Silver lol). Have a great time looking forward to reading along!

10. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a fun time and lots of best luck and positive variance..

11. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wishing you an awesome trip, looking forward to following along. I'll be at the Pats/Cowboys game on Sunday, so look for me on TV, ha ha.

12. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time!

13. amanty

amanty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried to check into my suite at MGM, but it's not yet ready. Doing some work in the Stay Well Lounge to avoid prematurely hitting the tables.

15. B S

B S MIA

Good luck!

Post some pics of the cigars, when it happens.

16. vegasvette

vegasvette High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally understand your concern about premature blackjackulation.

17. ineedbeer

ineedbeer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blackjackulation! I love it

Have a great trip man, looking forward to the updates

18. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What an afternoon. One of the Stay Well folks suggested that I try for a better suite location than the one I had assigned to me (Marquee with South strip view). Changed suite locations so that I have one facing the North strip. But there was a longer delay. Room wasn't available until 2 or so, so I had to engage in some premature blackjackulation.

But first, craps. Bought in for $1,000, very choppy play. Colored up at $700. Tucked my tails and went to double-deck blackjack. Started with $50 a pop - real choppy. Went up to $100. Colored up for $2800.

Went back to the craps table because my room still wasn't ready (it was 3:30 by this point). Floor called someone, and my host (whom I had never met before because I didn't reach out in response to his cold call until before this trip) showed up. Told me things would be taken care of within 15 minutes. I'd bought in for a thousand (if I lost it, at least I would've booked a $800 or so win). Went down to my last $300 or so and said what the hell. Despite betting the inside, I was hitting point after point after point. I PSOed after making four points. New shooter walks up to the table and hits a series of fives. What would've been a $700 donk turned into a $80 or so win. Colored up with this. (A black chip went rogue in my pocket.) [​IMG]. Went back to the craps table after a short break at Starbucks -- lost a little less than $200. Another roller coaster.

Trip so far is +1,700 or so, give or take a few bucks. (I've been tipping pretty liberally.) Next up is dinner at Michael Mina and the O show at Bellagio.

19. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are some poorly illuminated photos of the Stay Well floor's Marquee suite. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying your TR so far! Good luck!
    -Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.