1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TSA Pre-Check

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by 96seahawk, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 96seahawk

96seahawk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an appt today for TSA Pre-Check. Anyone know how long it takes to be added once the appt is complete?

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it was pretty short (1-2 weeks). The key thing is getting it added into your flight information correctly. Do you have that information from your airline? Typically it's added to your frequent flier profile. With SWA, it's that way:

To add your Known Traveler Number to your Rapid Rewards account, log in to your account and click on the blue “My Account” link located beneath your personalized greeting. Then select the “My Preferences” tab. Next, choose “Contact Information” from list of options on the left and use the “Add/Edit” link to modify your information. Once your Known Traveler Number is saved in your account, the information should auto populate into your future reservations as long as you are logged into your account at the time of booking. When departing from a participating airport, you should visit the PreCheck security lane if “TSA PRE” is indicated on your boarding pass.

If you are currently holding a reservation, please contact our Customer Support and Services at 1-800-435-9792 and we'll be happy to add it for you.

3. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a HUGE fan of TSA Precheck! There is rarely anyone in line at McCarren and I love not having to remove shoes and belt.

4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had it on my Boarding Pass coming and going. Is it just random or a senior thing? I never applied for it.

5. 96seahawk

96seahawk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I have a few upcoming reservations 9/10 and 9/19 that will need to be added once I have the known traveler.
    Are my minor daughters also able to go through the airport precheck once I've been added?

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never signed up for it and get it occasionally as well, I dont think it's random, prob some computer algorithm that implies you're "safe".
    I think it costs something like $85 to apply and needs to be renewed every few years, not worth it for me.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They do assign folks randomly for it.

But, with the prepaid, you get it 99% of the time. I say 99% because they still randomly decide to "feel up" even those folks.

- - - Updated - - -

They do assign folks randomly for it.

But, with the prepaid, you get it 99% of the time. I say 99% because they still randomly decide to "feel up" even those folks.

8. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think so.. not 100% certain but I believe when I got mine I read it was only for the KTN and no other party.

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's good for 5 years. If you make 2 trips a year, it works out to around $4 per flight.

Yeah Breeze, the older you are the more likely you are to get it. I used to get it about 1/2 the time before I joined.

10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Took my husband 2-3 weeks, and after 4 weeks when I still hadn't heard anything (we did our interviews on the same day in the same location) I used the contact information, got a voicemail that "these things can take up to 6 weeks yadda yadda yadda" but 2 days later, I had mine as well. My guess is that my application fell down behind someone's desk (or, the electronic version that someone hadn't noticed they had approvals waiting and ignored it).

ETA: Note -this was for Global Entry, which grants you TSA Precheck but is a different application process. Prior to applying for and obtaining global entry, I had TSA precheck for a while as a Delta Gold Medallion.

11. picklz

picklz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really wish some of the no annual fee cards or fee waived for 1 year cards would start offering Global Entry / TSA Pre-Check reimbursement as a perk, there's a few of the cards with a $350-450 annual fee that offer credits for multiple people to get global entry which includes precheck, so if you have a SO and/or kids that also need it - might be worth looking into as that would cover a lot of the first year fee, and then you get some of the other perks like lounge access and such.

Still tempting even at the $85 fee - normally fly out of our smaller terminal 2 @ MSP so the lines aren't that bad, but coming home or the occasional flights out of terminal 1 Pre-Check would come in really handy.

12. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I got my Global Entry membership with my Amex Platinum and you cannot add multiple people for free with that card. You get one membership statement credit every five years, so if you pay for multiple Global Entry memberships you will be charged for the rest (at least on the Amex Platinum. I can't speak about other cards that might offer it). When you charge the fee on your Amex platinum card the fee is credited back to you in a few days. It is $100 for Global Entry and it includes TSA Pre Check so it is totally worth getting them both for an extra $15. The $100 fee is actually good for five years, not one year. And for those who have asked, if you have it and your kids don't they cannot get on the line with you (unless they have been randomly selected to have it that time). You have to go through a background check for Global Entry/TSA Pre Check, so if you want your children or SO to have (mostly) guaranteed access to the Global Entry/Pre Check line you would have to apply and pay the fee for everyone else. I say mostly guaranteed because as others have pointed out, they can still pull you off the TSA Pre Check line for additional screening at their discretion. It is definitely worth getting if you travel a lot.

Here is some information on getting Global Entry or TSA Pre Check with an Amex Platinum card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/benefits/detail/global-entry/platinum

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get it randomly about half the time. My girlfriend never gets it

14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AFAIK, NO.

That is the ONLY advantage to CLEAR that I have found, but to me it still doesn't justify the $85+ per year. CLEAR allows minor family members to go through their line.

15. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clear is $179 a year, does include children <18, can add additional family members for $50 (but is private and not at very many airports?)

TSA Precheck is $85 and good for 5 years

Global Entry costs $100, is good for 5 years, and includes TSA Precheck. Great deal if, like me, you travel internationally. If not, just get pre-check.

I have no idea how Clear is better than the programs operated by the government....

16. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just signed up and took advantage of TSA Pre-check with my most recent trip (used at BDL, SEA, & LAS). LAS always has their shit together and I rarely see that long of a line, but I still saved myself 10 minutes. I signed up for Pre-check after nearly missing my last flight to Vegas because of the huge lines at BDL during the week in the morning.

I got my KTN within a few days of getting fingerprinted. For the price, it's a no brainer.

17. 96seahawk

96seahawk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Within a few days? Nice. Confirmation I received today says within 45 days. Hoping it's before my 9/10 trip to Vegas.

18. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same sort of thing happened to me. The third time I called she asked me to reread my driver lic number to her. I did and had an email in 72 hours that it was approved and on its way. The first two times I called no one would even help me.

19. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you travel like me lol it's a must have....

This week I'll be in the airport 6 times.....that's by Friday......

20. ecanem

ecanem Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    12 and under children can go through pre with parents. Both parents need pre if you are with both. Otherwise you can get modified pre at the regular line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.