1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Arizona, Part Uno

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by ken2v, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Oops, too many characters, so I split it.

Arizona … 11 June – 25 June

Food

Tucson Mexi-fest – We had a bit of a borderlands eat-a-thon with stops at “stalwarts†– or at least historic dumps – El Charro, Casa Molina, El Minuto and El Torero. Sorry, El Charro, when it comes to carne seca, Molina kicks yer butt; El Charro still rates two thumbs up, however. El Minuto was very pedestrian. El Torero is an absolute shithole on some dreary street in the City of South Tucson (which from the look of things was incorporated when both Tucson and Pima County decided that while squalor is acceptable, the south side o’ town is just too much like the Western). El Torero’s Sonoran Mex just rocks, however; true hidden gem.

Wowsa – The Gold Room at Westward Look is the real deal. Don’t laugh, but I’d call the fare California cuisine in that it emphasizes fresh ingredients and isn’t hemmed in by some culinary shackle, e.g. “Continental,†“southwestern,†“Asian fusion.†Try the salmon starter w/vanilla vodka accompaniment and the trio o’ duck entrée … or the beef, or the fish, or the anything. LOL Locals should check out the midweek specials, like Wednesday’s pick any starter, any entrée and any dessert from the menu for $25, or $35 with three wines. City views.

Other Tucson Notables – We dined a few times at the now-shuttered Café Terra Cotta in Scottsdale and finally made it to the original. Vibrant room, great Santa Catalina views, outstanding grits. Terri had a sweet corn and wild mushroom risotto napped in a red pepper chipotle coulis and a cilantro coulis. I had the very rare – mmmm – sirloin with black bean puree, chipotle mashers and seasonal veggies. And don’t miss breakfast at the little-slice-of-France that is Ghini’s. The same goes for lunch at the tea room at Tohono Chul Park. I had some truly outstanding chicken enchiladas there. Really.

Tucson Originals – Long-standing Tucson eateries of various pedigrees have banded together to combat the American lust for the likes of Red Lobster, Outback and McDs. It’s an educational campaign fueled by good prices to get folks in to try it real and tasty, and all are offering some type of $20 summertime dining special, in some instances for two. All the eateries aren’t created equally but some of the town’s notables – Janos, El Charro, Terra Cotta (our two-course dinners were $20 each), Jonathan’s Cork – are included.

Stables – The regionally inspired steak house at Tubac Golf Resort. Go straight to the rib steak. Period. Capisce?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Knew I shouldn't read a trip report from you when I was hungry....:drooling: Why oh why can't I have a job like that......

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first two steps are easy:

1) Take a vow of poverty.
    2) Have a spouse with a great job and mucho patience.

4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I just ate and it still sounds good. God, I wish we had southwest cuisine up here in Illlinois.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.