1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SPAM the kind you eat

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by oldarmy, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldarmy

oldarmy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SPAM needs a new thread of its own. I was on my van pool talking about spam with several co workers one who was stationed in hawaii also. When I got home that day I told my wife to get me some spam. She bought me all the diffrent flavors they currently have out. I like all the new but am fond of the standard spam. I cook mine with eggs. What is your favorite?

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a can of the bacon flavored that I'm waiting to try, but like you, "natural" Spam is my favorite.

I tried to explain to my 13 year old that when I was little and we didn't have much money, this was the meat that we ate.

That, like most stories about "lower middle class" life, were totally lost on him.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some would argue that Spam isn't edible. However, us Koreans love the damned stuff with kimchi. I was told it was due to the fact it so many American soldiers had it there during the war and just kind of stuck.

My friend was in Hawaii and took a picture at a market and one side of the aisle was all Spam.

4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think that they serve Spam at the Strip House. You want me to see if they can special order it for you?

6. oldarmy

oldarmy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People will pay good money for some named chef dishing up some spam. Just put it in the middle of the plate stack it up and make it look pretty. Instant $$$. World War 2 and the korean war brought spam to alot of folks. It was portable and had a long shelf life. I spent 4 years in Korea and love kimchi. Spam is an aquired taste much like kimchi. Funny how a certain food can transport us back in time to certain locations and fond memories.

7. Eddyhazkell

Eddyhazkell Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who had Spam for dinner just yesterday? This guy.:licklips:
    Oddly enough it is something that my most picky child will even eat.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spam was a camping staple growing up. These days the occasional spam musubi is it for me.

9. LoveVeGa

LoveVeGa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Hawaii we got Spam festival every year down in Waikiki...
    Just had local deluxe breakfast at Mc D , 2 slides of spam, 1 slide of Portuguese sausage, scrambled eggs for $ 6 .00..
    My favorite is cubed spam with soyou ( soy sauce) added a bit of sugar, and a lot of fresh cracked black pepper cook for 10 minutes to reduce the sauce and eat with white rice...mmmm yummy, ,,

10. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

As I mentioned in another thread...

spam + Hawaiian bread = End of Story

11. LoveVeGa

LoveVeGa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Sorry Sin , what you mean end of story , didn't you know las vegas is Hawaii nine island. Lol...

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every so often my husband will get a craving for spam, so I"ll buy it and try to make something that is tasty for me too. Spam musubi usually works. I'm not a fan, mainly because I find it too fatty & salty compared to my normal diet. (of course, my husband has the same diet, because I do most of the cooking, which is why he only gets a craving rarely....I didn't mind the turkey spam as much, but my husband didn't enjoy -wasn't "the spam" he remembered from his youth.....

13. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spam sandwich with mayo. Tasty stuff

14. Eddyhazkell

Eddyhazkell Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely will have to try it with a Hawaiian roll next time.

15. oldarmy

oldarmy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After you have put it in a frying pan. This is a classic spam sandwich.

16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first job I had was stock clerk for a supermarket. The Hormel sales representative would come by to take orders and mentioned that in all of the 50 states Hawaii was the #1 seller for spam.

When I got promoted to Grocery manager one of the million of other duties I had was to order adequate quantities of the ad specials we advertised every week. When Spam goes on sale I had to order by the pallets to keep up with the demand.

I ran out of Spam one time and I thought the Store manager was going to fire me.

And now for the recipe of the day: Cut the Spam into 1" by 1/4" strips and fry until a little crisp on the outside, then add 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of olives and a dash of oregano. Sometimes I add strips of fresh green bell pepper. Eat it with sticky white rice.

Like us Hawaiian locals say, "Broke Da Mouth!!" Or what others would say, quite succulent and delicious....:wink2::beer:

17. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Pan fry a slice of Spam, or put a slice in the toaster oven...place in a Hawaiian roll...End of story!

18. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

With a Hawaiian roll!

19. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the generic spam you get at Aldi, I think it may be real spam just packaged for aldi...I cant afford real spam.

20. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.