1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Paul_376, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_376

Paul_376 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am thinking of driving from Dallas Texas to Vegas. anyone ever done this? Good idea?

2. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have done it when I was younger. Now my old ass doesn't want to drive over 30 minutes. I usually drive from San Antonio to Dallas once a year to visit my brother and my parents graves, and it almost kills me. LOL. Dallas to Vegas is a long haul, but if you don't mind driving distances, why not?

3. NJS24

NJS24 Voice of Reason

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I moved to Tucson AZ a little over a year ago and have made the drive twice to Las Vegas. The first time, I actually insisted on driving as it is something I've always wanted to do since all trips prior were via flight from the Midwest. From Tucson, it's about a 6.5 hr trip. The drive there my first time was enjoyable, but coming home and the ride to and from the second time was totally exhausting. So over it. From Texas, I'm guessing your journey is 18-20 Hrs? To each their own, but no thank you.

4. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just.no.
    just.fuckin'.no

5. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i did it back in the early 90's when gas was cheap and air fare was higher.

May I ask why you want to drive? It is cheaper to fly and rent a car in Vegas than to drive from Dallas to Vegas.

Only reason would be to see the sights, but I don't know if that would be worth it.

It is about an 18 hour drive.

I've flown to Vegas from Dallas and rented a car for under $200.

6. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did it 2 years in a row, from San Antonio. It is not a bad drive, for being a 21+ hour drive. We have also done the 36 hr straight through drive to Washington State too. We fly now, getting too old to sit in a car that long. But I am glad we did it, was a good experience.

7. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son drove from Central Mass to Vegas in four days when he moved there. Stayed there a year, drove four days back. The entire time the cheapass never washed his car!

It's a long boring drive. Good luck if you try it!

8. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't made the drive from Dallas, but I have driven from Roswell, NM to vegas. I personally enjoy road trips and if you have the time to make the drive then I'm all for it. Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam are stops you might want to make. Albuquerque and Santa Fe are beautiful cities along the way.

9. WestTexas

WestTexas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the drive to vegas from Midland TX a couple of times. The drive going there is not bad as you make up 2 hours If you drive straight through. It is the drive back when you really notice the time difference.

I was younger then so we drove straight through with only stopping for gas, but I would even think of doing it now.

10. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's awful. I've done the drive from Oklahoma CIty -- many, many years ago -- stopping somewhere in Arizona. I think it's about the same amount of time from Dallas or OKC, depending on traffic, how fast you drive, etc. My policy ever since then has been "if I can't afford to fly, I can't afford to go." So, I would say unless you're already planning on making a roadtrip and stopping along the way, it's a beating. Going isn't nearly as bad as coming home, because at least on the way out you have the anticipation of getting to Vegas. Coming home is just depressing and painful

11. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on how long your staying in Vegas and if you need your car there. I've driven there and back from SE Wisconsin multiple times now. We stay a month give or take a week and car rental would be a killer for that long. So it's worth the 2 1/2 day driving each way. Last year we left from Ft. Myers FL to Vegas 35 hours drive time 3 1/2 long days. From our home it's 25 hours and I'm the only driver. 18 hours from Dallas seems like a short drive to me and if you have two drivers a one day drive.

TomTWI

12. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you ever driven across Texas? You may as well be driving to the moon.

13. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do it as soon as the speed limit is raised to 675 miles per hour.

14. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I have several times the panhandle then last year the wide part. Took almost all day.

TomTWI

15. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're like me and gamble to excess occasionally. ;-).

If you don't have a good trip, the trip home can seem to be be "twice as long".

16. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "The wide part".....never heard it quite like that. I guess the "tall part" would be Brownsville to Dalhart (+ 41 miles).......haha.

We are leaving in June to drive to Vegas with a stop or two along the way to stay Friday - Thursday for 6 nights and then going back through Tucson for a two day visit with old (non-gambling) friends prior to our return.

Being from Texas it is not unusual (at least for us) to drive 200 miles and visit family / friends, returning the next day. We have little entertainment to choose from unless Jerry Jones is on television; or Rick Perry has nothing to say; or someone finds George B. between naps, so driving isn't such a big deal. Stopping at a good diner; THAT's a big deal!

But the wife has a new ride and she likes to drive so unless age rapidly intervenes, we're off! And you are probably saying, "yes you are"......

17. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well the way we went was about as wide as it gets east to west. Beaumont TX to Las Cruces NM in one day. Call it what you want I call it a good days drive.

TomTWI

18. Paul_376

Paul_376 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input everyone, we always fly but want to try something different.

19. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's just you, then flying is much cheaper. If it's you and a friend and you like road trips, I'd go for it, with lots of stuff to see on the way - some of it not really memorable, but still interesting. Time constraints are also something you need to factor in. If you're going with a family, I'd fly - no one wants to be in a car that long with kids, no matter what the cost. I've driven nonstop from central IL to LA and back when I was younger (much younger) and we enjoyed it, but not sure I'd ever do it again. The common thread above is that road trips are for young people!

20. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last two years my dad and I have driven from San Antonio to Las Vegas. The first year we stopped in Albuquerque and spent the night arriving in Vegas mid afternoon the next day. Last year my brother and nephew joined us and we stopped in Springerville, Arizona arriving in Vegas right after lunch the next day. Both trips we have driven straight back which is about 18 hours to San Antonio. This year I promised my dad that we would break the trip home into a two day affair. Once you get out of Texas the scenery is nice but Texas has much better roads.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.