1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A series of thoughts on our just-concluded trip

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by ken2v, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

#1. They succeeded indeed in replicating O'Sheas ... right down to the bad smell.

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :haha: I'll have mention that to Brian.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #2 I never really believed you could put a dress on a pig and ever have more than a pig in a dress, but I gotta say, LINQ is such an improvement. Now if only they could get rid of the still-unsightly Imperial Pallor look when looking at the joint from the north; I like the color scheme on the south.

4. Rookies11

Rookies11 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (Wait until they try to do Circus Circus!)

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #3 Saturday brunch at the still new-ish DB Brasserie at Venetian was a value play even at the north-of-$100 price point. And, yes, Ponzi Pinot Noir should be part of any civilized brunch ... at least if Sta Rita Hills AVA Pinot isn't offered.

6. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,

In your estimation, does it top the Jazz Brunch at Wynn?

Thanks, Nick:beer:

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Different critters, Nick. DB B is straight a la carte.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #4 Playing three of the five or six best courses in/around Vegas -- Reflection Bay, Shadow Creek, Coyote Springs -- does NOT remotely suck.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #s5, 6, 7 and 8

Hitting five 4OAKs in an hour of DDB play is just flat out fun. And while at times I think I'm over-4OAKed, I need to just remember those days when not a one came up.

Breakfast for $25 at Omelet House Summerlin was every bit the value of DB Brasserie. I really like high value, whatever the cost.

Dinner at the Mansion, with the captain being told to just pick what he wants for the table, is an experience of experiences. Kinda makes me think I should write sell-the-shit-out-of-'em smut novels and try the high-roller life personally.

Watching several Yankees players make your bud squirm when he snaps a verboten shot of Jeter in the clubhouse at Shadow Creek is almost worth the price of admission alone. And then setting him up later for an interrogation by security at the Mansion is even better. Sorry, Jim! (Umm, maybe not. lol)

10. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, just got off the phone with my brother. He's bringing down from Calistoga for Thanksgiving Pinots from Littorai, Williams Selyem, Marcassin, and Paul Hobbs.
    I will represent your AVA with some Fiddlestix. Aubert and Kistler Chards will be in abundance. I wish he'd come down more often.
    Those wines sound like your recently completed golf course lineup.
    UCLA needs one more but not an easy one by any stretch. Then a rematch hopefully. Is the Oregon center hurt? You better hope not.

11. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would love to hear more about the Shadow Creek experience. So many VMBers play Wynn but seems rare we get to hear much about Shadow. Are photos verboten throughout the whole course? Conditions good? Can you drive there yourself or is the famed limo ride a mandatory part of the experience?

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's some nice lineup of wine, my friend. I have no real clue what we'll be doing here, other than knowing it will be Viognier and Pinot. Maybe a Clos Pepe or Longoria vertical?

I'm a bit outside the loop but have a few emails out to the familia as to any timeline for Grasu's return. Man, WTF is up with the Bruins? Talk about bi-polar!

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I snapped a few pics, but iPhone/Bloody Mary photos aren't all that.

Shadow's rather true exclusivity is exactly what sets it apart. Plus, unlike WGC, it's a great course and a great golf experience. This was the first time I was back since they added more teeth (length). It's not shy in that regard, playing 6600 from the "whites." You can drive there but it's great doing the limo thing. I played like shit that day, just horrid. Funny how that happens. I was OK at RB and, for me, solid solid at Coyote the day before when you consider how I started and chucking in a trip on 15. I'd give it an 8 on conditioning, mostly for the time of year we're entering. Greens are wicked fast.

14. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, you can drive to Shadow now? I'd never heard that. But the limo is so much a part of it anyway. Who was your caddie? I'll be there after RB in a couple weeks. No chance for me to score at Shadow. None. But so much fun getting beat up.
    The Mansion also? Seems like you really made up for the time away from Vegas.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it's widely advertised, but according to my (nicely) depraved friends it is permissible. But you're right. That's like getting bumped up to first class but choosing to fly Allegiant instead, unless the personal ride is Italian and I don't mean FIAT.

Nick and CP. Chris was mostly with our part of the mayhem. For those offended by this stuff, turn away now: He was fucking awesome. Never seen a guy who could dish it out as well as I can, and take it, too. We had a four-hour comedy jest-fest going out there. I gave him a battered copy of my golf book I keep in the bag. Told him to read it and see that I can talk the talk if not walk the walk, so to say. (A plug for Nick, too. But Chris and I were like perfectly matched foils, and nothing is better than that.)

16. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some head MGM executive drives a red!!! surprise!! prancy pony. It's at Shadow all the time.
    You want to have a good time, ask any of the guys looping about their fanatsy leagues. My 33 year old son, heavy player in 3 kinds of NFL leagues, NBA, Baseball (by far the most time consuming and I know you'd not let baseball consume even a minute of your time), etc. Fantasy is much more played than sports betting itself, although there is lots of that too. Great, great crew there.
    Never, ever disdain the 4OAK gods.

17. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's not an exec's car.

it belongs to a player who plays most every day when he's in town.

18. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    97 Opus magnum was a great choice.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lucky guess by you-know-who. lol

#9. (Is that where I am, now, nine?) The roasted USDA Prime strip loin at Craftsteak could be habit-forming, and do have the kumamoto oysters to start. (I don't care if they are training-wheel bivalves, they also are very damn tasty.)

20. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter, that dude must be in town alot. That Ferrari and one before it have been there 10 or so of the last dozen rounds I've played there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.