1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

VMB HAS A CHAT? Why doesn't anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by aremel, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alright, I'm home from work and in Chat.
    All by myself.

2. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happened awhile ago, maybe a year or 2 ago. There was like 25 people in the chat room at one time.

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me see if I can answer some chat questions and comments...

This is possible, but I'm not sure the current hosting service for the board will allow it. Plus, it would take some $$$$ technical skills from a developer to get it right.

This is usually the best bet. Make a post here on the board with a time and date inviting folks to join in. Blue Skadoo did this awhile back and there were a ton of folks in there.

It should already use your board username when you sign in. When I was testing it, I clicked the chat link and it automatically logged me in as SH0CK. That being said, if someone else on that IRC network is using your username already, it will give you a random one.

Like I said above, the best way we've found use of the chat was when some folks scheduled a time for everyone to join in and make a post here on the board. It can be as simple as "Every Tuesday at 7PM Vegas time" or whatever. It could be possible for the board to "promote" regularly scheduled chat meet up by posting a notice on the days and times the chat is taking place.

4. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we had like 76 people in there when I did it. It was so much fun!

5. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i've popped in chat a few times and i've been the only one there.

Don't think VMBers are chat people

6. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Blue! I think I was at that chat, too. Great fun!

7. aremel

aremel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So let's do it again!

8. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

The main reason chat was up and running on a few years ago, was that a core group of cyberpals, who had bonded at March Madness and the fall version of MM, extended that relationship to the chat room on an nightly basis. Observing this board for past decade or so, I would have to say that bunch was closest we've ever had to a family-type affair.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm kinda ignorant when it comes to Chat but was wondering if the board can post opening and closing times for it. Like maybe a popular time zone or two where it is more likely to have people home form work, school, or leisure times.

This way it's like a planned get together and we all know people will be there for an hr. or so. Then after an hr. or two or three we all say bye bye and do it all again tomorrow. Or something. I dunno. I'd go for this.

10. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is easy to do. I'm on the east coast, so the latest I can start is 8:30pm EST. this would be 7:30pm for Central, 6:30pm for Mountain, and 5:30 for Pacific.

I doubt I'll do an hour, but I will put forth an effort to show up.

See you tonight!

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I'm a little under the weather and I'm just seeing this thread.

SH0CK had a great chat system set up on the old board software, but when we upgraded we had to go with this other one that ended up being the lesser of two evils. ;) We can always explore other options if there's an interest.

Chat on the board has always kind of run hot & cold. You guys nearly broke the software that night everyone was in chat. The best way to get a meet up going, is to announce the time you want to chat and see if others show up.

I had always toyed with the idea of doing something like we did on an old Compuserve board and have scheduled topics on certain nights.

What would be the ideal time to have an organized chat though? As a west-coaster, I always find myself rushing to get to a 5pm meet, but I'd hate to have one start at 10pm on a Tuesday if I was in NYC.

What about 6:30p Vegas time, 9:30p Eastern?

12. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For setting up a chat session about the best thing to do is whoever wants to "host" the chat should just pick a time and a date when they can be there (picking a time and date when its likely others can be there) and then show up and sit around and wait.

If you try to find a "best" time that works for everybody - there is no time that will work for everybody. For whats a good evening time for the east coast the people on the west coast are all going to be coming home from work or having dinner... a good after dinner time for the west coast is going to be late for the east coast.

So really want to just pick a time that works for yourself and then hang around in the chat room so that if anybody shows up there is somebody there to chat.

13. aremel

aremel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank You for the reply. I am actually good with whatever management decides. I just think it is a shame to waste such a good social outlet with such fine people as VMB has to offer.

14. aremel

aremel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with electroguy563 ...
    Auggie you make a good point here ... maybe it will come to pass that the chat could be used for general chat about Las Vegas ... so that new people can come to know the regulars here at VMB.

15. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Website specific real time chat is pretty much dead these days. People just don't have time to maintain lots of specific relationships and tend to stick to a single hub. Irc died for the masses when msn messenger took the world by storm and that in turn died when Facebook chat took off. There will be another king of the hill soon enough as well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there for you.

[20:32:15] <TY31088> Yes.**The Chat is happening.
    [20:34:07] <TY31088> Anybody here?
    [20:35:28] <TY31088> 8:30 Eastern time

I'm waiting. Do you want this or not?

17. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [20:37:29] <TY31088> Now it's kinda creepy
    [20:37:33] <TY31088> just me
    [20:37:38] <TY31088> alone
    [20:37:51] <TY31088> in a Chat room
    [20:38:08] <TY31088> looking for aremel
    [20:38:16] <TY31088> in the dark

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It just hit me. I have no clue where the chat function even is with the now-not-so-new new platform.

19. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I nominate aremel as the 2014 (and likely 2015) official manager of VMB Chat. Duties including scheduling and hosting daily or weekly Chat events.

20. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scroll up, up,up. Look under the B in Board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.