1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

what kind of upgrades have you gotten @ the front desk (no $20 trick)?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by random512, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random512

random512 Low-Roller

I stayed @ 4S last weekend and a strip view would have cost me an extra $90/nite if I had purchased the upgrade when reserving online but when I showed up and asked at the front desk he told me I could get the upgrade for $50/nite. What kind of upgrade deals/discounts have you gotten @ the front desk just by asking? (no $20 trick)

2. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't do many "tricks" because i travel solo, so generally a clean room and bathroom with a sofa chair. I usually book rooms that are at least Deluxe, and don't really need a view because i've been going to Vegas since the late 70's and i know what the Strip looks like.
    However, i have done the $20 trick at Rio to get a Strip/Pool view because it was Panoramic. I have done some others in the past.

I will be in Vegas in just over a week. What i do is ask for a high room and they always give it to me just for asking.

An important thing to remember is a lot has to do what days of the week, time of day, weekends/holidays, etc.that you'll be going. I always go Sun-Fri, so it's a lot easier than weekends.
    Also, some hotels vary a lot in room choices. Like Caesar's, you want to stay away from the standard Roman rooms, you want to get a Forum room or higher.
    Some hotels, like where i'm staying at (Planet Hollywood), the standard Hollywood Hip rooms are fine, but i asked for a higher floor and got the 36th floor in August, i will do the same next week.

There are plenty of websites that go into detail about the Hotels.........try to narrow down your choices, then book the hotel of choice and then decide if you want to do the "trick" or just ask nicely when checking in.
    There are a lot of variables in upgrading, you really just have to be lucky..............and what better place to get lucky than in Vegas?

3. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've found that being patient, relaxed and friendly will get you a lot more from the front desk than $20 will. My usual request is to spend my time at the hotel the same way I spent my time at college. That usually gets us a nice room on an upper floor, a smile from the desk clerk, and a very quick check-in.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I reserved 2 of the cheapest rooms in the south tower at the Plaza.

When i got there, i didnt ask for anything and got bumped to a north tower fremont view suite for one room with a connecting balcony room for the second.

5. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria - earlier this year. Just a nice conversation with clerk - upgraded from basic room to strip view room.
    Bally's - last trip. Again just nice friendly conversation with clerk - upgraded from basic room to deluxe room in Indigo Tower.

6. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rio in January I got a high strip view by asking for room close to elevator - no $20. Flamingo in September we went with 3 couples. All three checked in together at a busy time with $20 trick got three rooms in within 4-5 doors of each other on same high floor (2 High Roller view and third pool view) Very accommodating clerk who IMO would have done the same without the tip.

7. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got automatically upgraded to a great suite at Harrahs because I arrived around 10:30 PM and they were out of regular rooms.

8. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got upgraded to a suite at the 4 Queens because my host booked a non-smoking room, and they were out of standard smoking rooms.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.