1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Newbie taxi rider...stop at a store?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dreric, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DW and I are flying into LV, and I am wanting to get some bottled water, snacks, etc. for the room. Staying at the MC, am I better off 1) walking to a drug store on the strip and then hauling it back to the room, or 2) asking the taxi driver to stop at a grocery store and running in??

2. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, I wouldnt leave my unattended luggage with someone I met 5 minutes ago.

3. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Either or really. The benefit of having the taxi stop at a place en route is you won't have to carry all the stuff from Walgreen's to your room. When you arrive with the taxi the bellman can take it up for you.

4. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it would add $5-10 in waiting time for the cab, but could be worth it if you are quick. Personally, I wouldn't do it if I was alone as id rather have one person stay with the cab and my luggage, just to be on the safe side.

Depending on how long you are staying, it may be worthwhile to see how much renting a car would be. If you figure $30 for the ride to the store then the hotel, then another $20 for the ride back to the airport, it might be cheaper to rent a car for your whole stay and have a way to do all those things.

5. abileneblues

abileneblues Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed at MC last year. While we did stop at a liquor store on the way, we waited on water, etc. until we got to the hotel. There is a CVS right next door to MC which had everything we needed, including liquor. Turns out there was a liquor store right across the street from MC, too. It was really not a problem to carry stuff back to MC.

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have a taxi stop somewhere along the way they charge 50c per minute wait time so you should try to have an idea of what you want instead of walking up and down the aisles over and over again trying to make up your mind.

However, because you are staying at Monte Carlo: there is a CVS right out front of Monte Carlo with a pretty big drink and snack section, as well as an ABC store across the street and a Walgreens across the street and down a little bit.

We stay at Monte Carlo pretty regularly and just wait to buy our supplies from the CVS store. If you are planning to pick up a lot of stuff in one trip then what you can do is after you check in go up to the room and take everything out of one of your wheeled suitcases or carry on bags and take that down with you, buy your stuff and then load it in to the suitcase and take it back to the room.

7. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an awesome idea! Yes I will be traveling with DW, but I will make the walk. I was just wondering how much they jack the prices up and the CVS out front vs 50 cents per minute.

8. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Monte Carlo, you can walk to the CVS very easily. It isn't worth making a cabbie stop if that's where you're staying. Most of the prices aren't terrible on booze if you're not too specific. If you want something higher level, it seems to be even more marked up.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  9. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, the prices at that CVS are pretty good for things like beer, water and snacks, plus they have a pretty good selection and put some stuff on sale. The price of soft drinks might be a little up there for a case, but just by a buck or two.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.