1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

your first concert?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by chef, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Genesis at Carlisle City Hall in May 1981. It was wonderful!

2. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Somewhere around 75-76 at what I think was called Foxboro Stadium at the time. Eagles, Fleetwood Mac with Boz Scaggs as the opening act. Think we paid $10 ticket and were up high in the stands.

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I guess I'm the old timer on this one.......
    THE DOORS !........circa 1966....
    at Madison Square Garden NYC
    I was in the sixth grade.
    Here are some comments made by Jim Morrison that night :
    "Let's forget we're in Madison 'SQUARE' garden, tonight."
    "I'm gonna give ya the Jim Morrison Light Show !"
    ( The entire stage went dark -- for the rest of the show --
    all i could see was Ray Manzarek's little light on his keyboards.
    Some other shows :
    Queen's first tour opening for Mott the Hoople.
    They were so LOUD my ears distorted.
    Bruce Springsteen opening act for Chicago --
    and none of the little teeny boppers watched Bruce
    Bruce was better than Chicago -- my buddy had told me about him.

4. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't be 100% sure but...

I'm thinking maybe The Beach Boys - 1965

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does this count? My wife saw the Beatles in Milwaukee in 1964 on their first American tour.

Not a big concert fan, I've only been to 3 in my life, but the first was Conway Twitty, back when I was a country music fan, sometime early 70s.

My last one was James Taylor at the amphitheater on the Summerfest grounds. That was around 1986.

6. Kimsa70

Kimsa70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ratt and Poison in 1986 at the New Haven Coliseum in New Haven, CT!

7. Tubbs

Tubbs High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thin Lizzy 1976.

8. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Queen 1977

Saw them 3 more times.

9. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheap Trick and a crappy opener called Fast Fontaine in 1979 at the Lloyd Noble Center, it was also the first time I ever got stoned on weed, so much smoke in the air I got a contact high along with my little bro and my dad who took us LOL

10. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Winner! I can't beat that, but I do have a story...

I never went to concerts when I was a teenager. Mostly from a combination of being cheap and not having enough money to be anything else but cheap.

Year was 1987. My age was 21.

My best friend’s mother was working in a podiatrist office near the San Diego Sports Arena when Bon Jovi was in town for their “Slippery When Wet” concert. Apparently one of the band members had an issue with his foot and visited the podiatrist. Well, my friend’s mom got to talking to this guy and asked him for tickets and he said yes. Side note: My friend’s mom had a habit of unofficially adopting whoever she wanted and was my official second mom and she would always say I was her favorite, especially in front of her biological sons.

Anyway, I get called about the tickets, which was that night, and I gather a few friends to go to the concert, not really knowing what to expect. We show up at the concert looking for where to pick up the tickets (I was just told that they would be available for pick-up). Other than the huge crowed in front of the entrance, there is no place to go except a roped off area in front of a VIP window. Well… I didn’t see anyplace else so I push through the crowd and enter the roped off area, getting lots of stares from the crowd. I timidly ask where I can pick up some tickets that are waiting for me and the window person just asks for the name they are under. I give the name and she hands me a sealed envelope. So I make my way through the staring crowd and meet up with my friends. I open the envelope to find that the seats were in the second row!

There was an extra ticket that I didn’t know what to do with but on the way to the entrance some guy asks if I have any extra tickets. “Sure” I say. He asks how much it would cost but it didn’t feel right to try and charge someone for something that I just got for free so I just give him the ticket. Apparently his sister was a huge fan and had a general admission ticket. He drove her there and was just hoping to get a ticket once there.

So my first concert was second row seats to Bon Jovi. I mostly remembered how deafening the sound was, being a few feet from the speakers, and almost getting crushed when John Bon Jovi invited the entire crowd up front! The guy we gave the ticket to switched places with his sister after a little while and she was practically overwhelmed with joy. So it was a pretty cool first concert as far as I’m concerned.

11. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my gosh, so many good mentions here!

I WISH I'd gone to that concert. I did (and still do) LOVE me some G'n'R!

OMG I saw that concert to! Where did you see them? I saw them with my cousin (who was a huge Monkeys fan, me not so much) here in Houston at the Southern Star Ampitheater that used to be part of Astroworld.

My FIRST concert though was the Jackson 5 Victory tour in 1984 here at the Astrodome.

12. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1976 KISS with Cheap Trick. Billings MT

13. gubilxix

gubilxix Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1987 Beastie Boys :nworthy: License to Ill tour. I still have the shirt though it don't fit quite so well as it used to...

14. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

1997 Korn at Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. Limp Bizkit opened.

15. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Red Hot Chilli Peppers play at some skateboard contest in Anaheim (Vision Holiday Havoc) in 1987. They played during the intermission . . . at the top of a giant halfpipe ramp. So badass.

My first straight-up concert, though, would be about 3 years later. OZZY OSBOURNE (openers were L.A. Guns, Lynch Mob, and a then unknown Alice In Chains). I remember the entire Long Beach Arena booing LA Guns. I also remember being impressed by the dirt rocker in the row in front of me who rolled joints with such speed and precision . . . He was like the Michaelangelo of joint rolling.

About 4 years ago I was at an Iron Maiden concert and I see this kid wearing the KNAC concert shirt for the same Ozzy show. I tapped him on the shoulder and started talking, "Dude! I used to have that same shirt! That show was badass! Remember when we were all booing LA Guns?"

He replied, "Sorry. This is my dad's shirt. I wasn't born yet."

My brain started doing the math (oh, crap, that was almost 20 years ago) and made me suddenly feel oh so very old.

16. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loggins and Messina at the Cape Cod Colliseum in 1976.

Warm up musician was Billy Joel. He was rude & obnoxious and practically got booed off the stage. Who knew??

17. Slick

Slick Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Eagles with Christopher Cross opening up for them at Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin.

18. Dans Lady

Dans Lady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lord, I hope I don't get bashed/flamed for this one but I saw Barry Manilow at Pine Knob in Clarkston, MI in 1979, I believe.

A group of us from the Beagle-Bagel Fan Club went and we sat on the lawn. The president of the club was an artist and painted a sheet with glow-in-the-dark paint....

I had the opportunity to go a second night but my mom put her foot down (despite the fact I had the money to pay for it). :grrr: She said that once was enough....

19. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was 9 years old (1984) me and the parents were at the Minnesota State Fair and they announced over the loudspeaker that Weird Al was about to take the stage for a free concert, and after begging my dad he relented. I think he even enjoyed it. Weird Al only had one hit song at the time, Eat It.

In 1986, for my first "not-free" concert, my brother bought us tickets to AC/DC at the University of New Orleans Lakefront Arena for the Who Made Who tour with Queensryche as an opener. I remember it like it was last night. Two rows behind us there was a ruckus. We turned around and seen two dudes getting into a fight. One guy takes a fifth of Jack Daniels and smacks the other dude over the head with the bottle. Instant blood everywhere. Ushers came and took em both away. Alot of excitement for an 11 year old!!

20. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't that where SRV was killed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.