1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2022 Mlife/MGM Rewards Program Changes

Discussion in 'Comps' started by smooth899, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okhighfive

okhighfive Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was thinking the exact same thing, doubt they'd be able to carve this out....Already looking at Myvegas rewards to book right after Feb 1st.

2. Legion

Legion High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you gamble? Im nothing at MGM.. I go once a year for total of 16 hrs of gambling. I play multiple black chips.. Never had issue with MGM not waving resort fees on my comped room

3. Philonous815

Philonous815 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fine print at the bottom of this loyaltylobby post answers a lot of questions. Those who get status through status match do not get the celebration dinners or airfare credit. And the celebration dinners are only given the year you reach the tier and is valid for 12 months. Compared to Caesars where you can get two celebration dinners for reaching Diamond, one the year the player reaches the qualification and the year after.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are not really waiving your resort fees as much as they are applying part of your back end comp to cover your resort fees. If your tier level already negated your resort fees, theorically you should have more back end comps to cover other expenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the fine print for the perks from the page @Philonous815 linked to. Their definition of "spend" in different places is unfortunately unclear.

[​IMG]

This is for the concert benefit:
    1 Offers will vary in terms of frequency, ticket types, number of tickets, location, dates, etc. based on member’s Tier status and spend/gaming activity. Availability of tickets may be limited by capacity or otherwise and are subject to availability. Redemption instructions will be included in offer communication.

This is for the resort fees
    2 Applicable daily resort fees will be waived on up to two room reservations per trip when an eligible member books direct, under their name, with MGM Resorts International and his/her eligible MGM Rewards account number is attached to such reservations. To redeem, the eligible member may be required to visit the Front Desk during their stay to confirm eligibility and request waiver of the daily resort fee (e.g., if member advances to eligible Tier level during stay). Not applicable to reservations associated with convention, trade show and/or group sales unless billed to the qualifying member.

This is for the dinner. This footnote also makes it sound like it's contingent upon earning 75,000 TCs via spend, unless MGM is also misusing the word, which is possible since it conflicts with this other blurb:
    upload_2022-1-6_14-16-55.png
    I mean, I don't consider the theoretical win that earns me TCs to be "spend."

3 One (1) Tier Achievement Celebration Dining Experience benefit valid for qualifying member is offered during the current Tier Status Earning Year to each qualifying Gold, qualifying Platinum or qualifying NOIR member who has earned the minimum Tier Credits associated with reaching the applicable Tier Level (and, for NOIR Tier Level, invited to such level during such Tier Status Earning Period) based on spend during such period. Members who receive their Tier Level status through a third-party or other partnership tier match program are not eligible for the benefit. Dining Experience benefit is not awarded based on a member’s Tier Level status as of the beginning of the Tier Status Earning Year. A qualifying member who reaches multiple eligible Tier Levels during a Tier Status Earning Year as described above will receive one such benefit (awarded as a dining credit) for each such level reached. Amount of dining credit for reaching specific Tier Levels is as follows: up to $100 dining credit for reaching Gold, up to $200 dining credit for reaching Platinum, and up to $500 for reaching (and invited to) NOIR. Dining experience must be booked by qualifying member through designated MGM staff (who will apply applicable dining credit to member’s MGM Rewards account). Dining experience must be completed within twelve (12) months after qualifying for the benefit. Valid only at participating MGM-owned dining outlets. The dining credit cannot be used for gratuities, is non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash. To redeem your dining credit, you must present your MGM Rewards card at time of payment. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other offer. Member will not receive the cash value or be compensated in any manner for any unused dining credit (if any) which will be forfeited if not used during the applicable dining experience. MGM reserves the right to modify the amount of the dining credit offered and/or otherwise modify and/or limit quantity/type of items offered (e.g., alcoholic beverages) all of which may vary based on Tier Level reached and other factors.

Ditto with this benefit and spend.
    4 One (1) air travel credit benefit of up to $600 is offered during the current Tier Status Earning Year to each qualifying Platinum member who has earned the minimum Tier Credits associated with such Tier Level during such Tier Status Earning Year based on spend during such period. One (1) additional air travel credit benefit of up to $600 is offered during the current Tier Status Earning Year to each qualifying NOIR member who is invited to NOIR Tier Level during such Tier Status Earning Year based on spend (including earning the necessary Tier Credits) during such period. Accordingly, a qualifying member who earns the minimum Tier Credits associated with both Platinum and NOIR Tier Levels (and who is invited to NOIR) during such Tier Status Earning Year is eligible to receive two separate air travel credits of up to $600 each, totaling up to $1,200, subject to these term and conditions and the MGM Rewards Rules. Members who receive their Tier status through a third-party or other partnership tier match program are not eligible for the benefit. Air travel credit is not awarded based on a member’s Tier Level status as of the beginning of the Tier Status Earning Year. Air travel must be booked directly by qualifying member and travel must be completed within twelve (12) months after qualifying for the benefit. Travel itinerary must be in the name of such qualifying member. Air travel credit will be reimbursed based solely on the paid ticket price (including upgrades, but excluding luggage/baggage fees, pet fees, etc.) of the qualifying member’s ticket and of his/her guest(s) reflected on proof of purchase if all on the same single travel itinerary and in the name of such qualifying member. Costs, fees and expenses associated with obtaining and/or using airline points, miles, etc. to obtain air transportation are not eligible for reimbursement. Qualifying members will not receive the difference (if any) between the offered maximum air travel credit amount and the actual paid cost of the ticket(s). Qualifying member must provide designated MGM staff with a copy of receipt and other required documentation at least one week prior to scheduled hotel check-in day. Air travel credit will be awarded in the form of MGM Resorts International resort credit (or as otherwise determined in MGM’s sole discretion) that can only be used during the Las Vegas hotel stay associated with such trip. Resort credits are valid at participating MGM Resorts International destinations in Las Vegas only and can be used for hotel accommodations that are booked directly with MGM Resorts International, and select food and beverage, nightlife/entertainment, retail merchandise, and spa services. Resort credits cannot be used for gratuities and gambling. To redeem your resort credits, you must charge the expense to your room at the outlet or other participating location. Resort credit is non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash. Member will not receive the cash value or be compensated in any manner for any unused MGM Resort credits which will be forfeited if not used on trip as set forth herein. Credits must be used prior to guest’s checking out of hotel. Subject to MGM Rewards Program Rules available at mgmrewards.com/rules.

And again:
    5 One (1) cruise benefit is offered during the current Tier Status Earning Year to each qualifying Platinum or qualifying NOIR members (valid for such qualifying member plus one (1) guest and subject to availability) who has earned the minimum Tier Credits associated with Platinum Tier Level or who is invited to NOIR Tier Level during such Tier Status Earning Year based on spend during such period. Accordingly, a qualifying member who earns the minimum Tier Credits associated with both Platinum and NOIR Tier Levels (and who is invited to NOIR) during such Tier Status Earning Year is eligible to receive both a Platinum and NOIR cruise benefit. Unless otherwise indicated, cruise must be booked during the applicable Tier Status Benefit Year (2/1 – 1/31) for travel completed within three (3) months after such period. Length of cruise and cruise destination will depend upon member’s earned Tier Level status and recent MGM Resorts spend and gaming play. Members are responsible for transportation to/from cruise embarkation and final disembarkation locations. Certain restrictions, fees and limitations apply. Subject to additional terms and conditions available at mgmresorts.com/royalandcelebritycruises

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. nottooshabby

nottooshabby Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you think/Should resort fees be waived for reservations made prior to February 1?

7. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Spend" means both gaming and non-gaming activity. Gaming spend. Non-gaming spend. Spend is spend -- and, on the gaming side, not to be confused with "loss" (but you already know that).

There is absolutely no way that a gaming company would design its tiered loyalty program to require relatively astronomical amounts of non-gaming spend to unlock tier benefits, even if the combination of gaming and non-gaming activity ("spend" if you will) achieves/maintains that tier.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I edited my post slightly. That's an awful bastardization of the word spend.

I do remember there were question(s) in their survey that were based on getting some perk for a (high) threshold amount of specifically non-gaming spend though, that's why I jumped on that language in the footnotes. I wish I had screenshotted that thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ghard296

Ghard296 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering how this will work for existing reservations. Of course, my next trip isn't until May so I suppose we could always cancel both rooms and rebook. Or maybe they'd waive them for existing reservations at check-in?

10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think any of it applies to tier levels earned in 2021.

I don't think you have a case until you earn 75,000 TCs this year.

You might have a case if you make a tier in 2022 prior to Feb 1, but I don't think any of it will kick in system-wise until Feb 1.

So if you have 75,000 TCs already this year. you can make a case that you should have resort fees waived but if you make a reservation online today, and it shows you'll pay resort fees, you'll probably have to have them waived manually. And then on Feb 1 if they set things up correctly, you would be able to make an online reservation without resort fees.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  11. Philonous815

Philonous815 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The resort fee waiver doesn't require "spend". If current tiers carry over, there's a chance that the resort fee waiver would apply to tiers earned last year (via spend or otherwise).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody see anything about FREE Valet Parking? Or is that a thing of the past for gold and above?

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonder how the dining benefit will go with couples that have a joint account? Would there only be one dinner even though there are two members. At CET Both my husband and I earn diamond separately, thus two dinners. Will joint accounts still be available?

Additionally in the new documentation I am not seeing any clarification on tier credits earning from the credit card. Will they still be a thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MGM was wise to set up quite a few benefits as "next-time" use.

Rewards Points earned from resort spend will not be available for use until 7 days after the resort spend happened. For a lot of people who just charge everything to the room (expect staff all over the property to be more frequently asking if you are staying there, and for them to more heavily push doing room charges), it definitely means saving those self-comps for your next MGM visit -- either in Vegas or elsewhere. Unless you do a multi-week visit to Vegas and bookend it with MGM stays. This provision is one that is compatible with the regional properties where it is common to have guest visit frequency be once every 2-8 weeks (with twice per month being MGM's ideal).

Indeed, MGM paid close attention to the Wynn Rewards tier match from last summer because they put in two provisions to prevent an avalanche of, "I have tier [however it was achieved]. Give me my stuff now."
    • "[Benefit] is not awarded based on a member’s Tier Level status as of the beginning of the Tier Status Earning Year."
    • "Members who receive their Tier Level status through a third-party or other partnership tier match program are not eligible for the benefit."
    Nobody's getting their achievement celebration dining experience or air travel credit in 2022 until they earn enough tier credits through gaming and non-gaming spend (presumably to include TCs earned from using the MGM Rewards MasterCard) to achieve that tier for 2023). I anticipate MGM Rewards desks everywhere being inundated with people in the first week of February 2022 demanding their dining experiences.

The 365/366 day cycle in which to consume the dining and airfare benefits are definitely a nod to Cosmo's Identity Rewards, and it definitely helps with maintaining loyalty. One is more likely to book a more enjoyable next trip if they are not confined to choosing specific dates just to avoid leaving a key tier benefit on the table.

The airfare benefits definitely require planning one (more) trip specifically to Vegas (a great way to funnel those heavier regional players into Vegas).

Of course, one will not be able to demand a mid-stay room upgrade just because they went from Pearl to Gold in the middle of a stay.

The complimentary concert tickets (Pearl and above) also require specific planning of a(nother) trip, and access will of course be based on ADT.

15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    will be pretty funny to see MLife now be the travel hacker program of choice for free resort fees

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. tornadobox

tornadobox High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The new perks (particularly for Gold and up) are definitely nice...but isn't it much harder to level up now?

Previously at 25x Tier Credits per $1 in resort spend, you could get Gold with $3,000 in resort spend (without any gaming factored in)...right? Or am I already mis-remembering? It's been a couple year since I've stayed at an MLife property.
    Now at 4x Tier Credits per $1 in resort spend, you'd need to shell out $18,750 in resort spend to level up to Gold (without any gaming factored in)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow!! AIrfare credit!> I am glad I made Platinum again!

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I need to qualify again in 2022 for this?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you. But Mlife doesn't back end comp lowbies like me doing $25 a hand blackjack for 2 hours a day. So the waiving of the resort fees will be a nice bonus for me-- at least this year bc most of my tier credits are from dining.

19. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I wish they would just base tier on money gambo'd like the did in the old days. The gambler used to be king in Vegas, not anymore it seems.

I also noted that the 2x multiplier for tier earning is in Las Vegas only, that throws some doubt to the idea that they are going to make credit earning, when it comes to gambo, equal nationwide. I get that they have more inventory in LV to fill, but they need to fill their other areas as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. wagon b0y

wagon b0y High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They want people to earn status by gambling, not by spend. Most of the new perks are because it will take mostly gambling to reach gold/platnium now.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.