1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jeopardy!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dmr, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theoldcoach

theoldcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He has been a producer, but has always wanted to be a host. He was terrible, and ruined a reincarnation of Pyramid. He was better on Jeopardy, but should stay BEHIND the camera.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's see how the ratings go.

3. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted my favorites above. I agree that Mike Richards was great and should be the host. Anderson Cooper probably the best, but he already had a great job.

4. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting choice. I liked Richards and Mayim (I'm looking forward to her primetime episodes), but I was rooting for Ken Jennings to be the regular host—maybe he didn't want it since he's on other game shows and wants to keep his options open. While some might be disappointed, I think Richards will do fine. Although I loved Alex, he wasn't why I watched.

Yearly Del Mar, Saratoga, Mt. Charleston, Pool trip
  5. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get wanting Jennings, yes, he's smart and a great Jeopardy player. He's boring and doesn't seem to have any personality.
    I loved Alex too, but I watched it for the show not because of Alex. There were several hosts that people on here liked that I thought were just passable and shouldn't get the job.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back to the search. Mike Richards stepped down as new host Friday morning. ... “will now resume the search for a permanent syndicated host.” So it doesn't look like Mayim Bialik is going to be the new host either. Taping was supposed to begin next week and now they are going back to guest hosts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Raven888

Raven888 Watanabe wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't watched any of this but Levar Burton has supposedly been the fan favorite since day one. How did he do? Maybe they should bring him back since Richards left.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pirviii

pirviii Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was less than thrilled with the decision and I have been enjoying the guest hosts. I have quite watching since they have gone back to repeats and wasn't going to watch with the new guy, but if they go back to guest hosts, I will keep watching.

9. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're behind on shows so watching them from DVR and just finished Levar. I like him a lot, but he wasn't great as a host. Too many awkward pauses, times when he wasn't quite sure about the answer provided, etc. I still think Buzzy was the best, with Ken and Mayim right behind.

Vegas Baby!
  10. Dory364

Dory364 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like at this point they’re gonna make levar the host. After the misstep with mike Richards I just have a feeling they’ll go with the “fan favorite.” I just don’t think the people that are fans of levar will watch jeopardy in general.

I read that they’re doing more guest hosts. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone else stands out.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t get Lavar. He was ok but wouldn’t be in my list of top five.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't feel Lavar was good just OK. I did like Richards but now I'm not sure who will make it. I thought both doctors were good, but can't imagine them doing the show. Also Anderson Cooper was great and think he's already tied up. I would have to throw-up if I have to watch Joe Buck every day.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeesh! Just give it to Blossom/Amy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She was their first pick but she declined due to scheduling but they liked her so much that they created a spin-off show her for to host.

Temptation Sunday
    Shania
  15. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing like being back to square one in finding a host.
    There will be 5 shows that were taped that will air with the now former host.
    Anyone have any detail of the host that Alex thought would be good?
    Laura Coates.
    All I know about her is that she is a legal analyst for CNN.

16. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to think that they already tried out the "A" list....who would be on this new list of potentials?? People not as good?

17. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mayim Bialik still seems like a decent choice or even someone like Mark Labbett

18. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to know what poll was taken to vote Levar as tops. He was not top 5 in our household. Mayim was tops for my wife. I’d love to have Alex’s pick to be given the opportunity to guest host…who knows, maybe she was asked previously and declined?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been a reader for Academic Challenge format high school tournaments. With my college prep Juniors and Seniors, I was writer and host of a Jeopardy! spinoff of sorts for 15 or 20 years and have been a fan of the show since Art Fleming hosted. Hardly anybody who posts on the topic, here or elsewhere, says enough about the qualities which make a good host. Very few even mention the best candidate in terms of what it takes to host such a program, as I see it.

The best performer was Buzzy Cohen. He was highly intelligent (makes a difference- Aaron Rodgers was obviously overmatched), perfectly prepared, read clues flawlessly, has an upbeat personality and treated the players with respect, made good quick decisions, and did the best player interviews of all. All he lacks is the gravitas which comes from experience. Cohen has little to no chance to get hired because he doesn't tick the boxes the producers want to be ticked. Mayim Bialik, while extremely competent and prepared, and immensely popular (I like her in Big Bang), would be a disaster for the actual game. She is self-centered and likes to belittle the players. One writer on fb who liked Bialik admitted that, but excused her as being a bit insecure about filling Alex Trebek's shoes. Nonsense- it's in her character. The host must not affect the game in that way. Levar Burton was very well prepared but indecisive at times and at 64 is too old to start such a gig.

Ken Jennings was not so good at the start, but over his long apprenticeship he improved a lot and would be a good host. Only Buzzy had it all from day one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.