1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thanksgiving Prep/Planning

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by luck.ofthe.draw, Nov 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Prince of Pai Gow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate Thanksgiving shopping. Finding dolphin-free cranberries is getting harder every year.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
  2. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If Thanksgiving is outlawed, only outlaws will have green bean casserole.

Speaking of which, why can't we have fresh green beans year round at the grocery store? Is it fair that only the top 1% get fresh green beans? I say either everyone gets fresh green beans or nobody gets fresh green beans and that's the America I want to live in.

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhh, okay. I think it's the regional "dressing" vs. "stuffing" thing that tripped me up. I like her a lot, and Butter was high on my list when I was back in NYC. I looked up the recipe, I may have to try it out if I can figure out a good way to scale down the recipe (I do not need 12-16 servings as per the Food Network website).

• Like Like x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    However you downsize, you will need more stock than stated. And I think she salts the bread and there's no reason to do that with these ingredients.

I tend to go back/forth between saying "stuffing" and "dressing" though we never stuff. The stuffing term is a vestige from my childhood, for sure, 'cause my great grandmother could get 25 pounds of stuffing in a 15 pound bird -- and both suffered for it. lol (The stuffing and the bird, not great grandma.)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stuffing is what you put INSIDE the bird. Dressing is what is cooked ALONGSIDE. Can be the same recipe-- just different placement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hence the names.

I'm scrolling through Bon Appetit's "70 Thanksgiving desserts" article ...

• Love Love x 1
  7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely. The only bad Thanksgiving food is my grandmother's onion pie, which I mistook for apple pie when I was about 6 and never forgot it. Nobody else liked it either, but she'd make it every year as a bit of a prank.
    That sounds phenomenal. I've never really thought of duck for Thanksgiving (it's more of a Christmas dish for me), but it's also probably my favorite food. A friend of mine's mother does a roast Peking duck every year, I've only had it once but it was great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanksgiving is always a small event here and it will be again. During the early pandemic I was making a lot of dishes I got via various Vegas chefs, so I might do a big mix of that. For some reason no one in my house likes turkey, so we'll do some sort of bird, probably duck or chicken. I've been trying to master biscuit making, and I'll make a half version of the pumpkin cheesecake from the Border Grill blog. My daughter's boyfriend always seems semi ill and has a sensitive stomach, but I'll try to find something that appeals to him.

Variety is the name of the game on that day, also lots of drinks! Hard to believe it's coming right up!

• Like Like x 3
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not much of a dessert person (I would eat all savory appetizers - and that's what I do on NYE, actually!) but when I do winter holiday desserts, my favorites are Hotel Hershey derby pie, or pumpkin cheesecake. My cheesecake recipe came from my best friend's aunt - it is amazing! Reminds me I want to save that recipe on my computer because I just have a copy of an old fax (yes, that's how long ago I got the recipe ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll just be drooling over pics I see here and other places online :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny, whenever I have Thanksgiving with friends, the one dish they request me to bring, is my green bean casserole. And they ask for the recipe, too. Apparently, it's so good, that you can't even taste those damn green beans. :kill:

Oh, and it's OK to use fresh green beans in a casserole...you don't have to use canned. :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

The biggest change from Childhood to Adult - Thanksgiving is........
    I no longer sit at ( extension ) folding card table w the other kids !
    I now sit at the Great Table w the adults.
    And I look knowingly, down the Great Table to that fold out table
    and say " Kids, you're paying your dues....you'll be up here, soon enough !"
    " These are the Good ol' Days ."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, good for you. I sat at the "kids table" until I was 35.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gone back to the kids table when we're with my sister's clan as my nephews are all funny and cool and they have great wives, so it's a lot more fun.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please and thank you, kindly post that recipe when you figure it out.
    The "kids" table was all us adult cousins (and wives where applicable). The actual kids, of which there are now few, are sent to another room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm working on it. Curiously, an article popped up about the process today. It claims I have to buy something called White Lily brand flour because northern flour is too protien-y. I'm game! I also need to re-watch a memorable Alton Brown video on the subject. He loved his grandmother's biscuits and they had a little bake off.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will never knock anything Alton Brown comes up with. He and Kenji Lopez-Alt are probably my favorite technically-oriented chefs in the business right now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done all kinds of Thanksgivings over the years. Ones with dozens of family members at different tables set up around the house, small ones with just me and hubby, ones with friends who didn't have family to celebrate with (that first time I made a gravy so thick, you could cut it with a knife and serve it like fudge), and all the in between.

My most unconventional was right after my boyfriend had a lung removed due to cancer. He wanted me to make a roasted chicken with lemon and rosemary, fried rice and my balsamic green beans. It was great. About 30 minutes after we ate, his mother came by to give him a plate she fixed for him because I "wouldn't let him" have a traditional dinner. Yes, just the one plate. Mother in laws, amiright? :whistle:

Four years ago November was not a great time for me. My father died, my mother was adjusting to living alone for the first time in her life and I was overextended and tired of driving back and forth between Seattle and Boise. I told Dan that I just couldn't do it. For the first time in my life, I just wanted to pretend it wasn't happening and have spaghetti or something. Then I got an email from these condos we like to rent at the beach in WA. There was a local restaurant offering to prepare a full dinner with all the southern fixins and deliver it to the condo. SOLD!! We are doing that again this year, and will keep on doing it as long as Aloha Alabama BBQ wants to cook for us.

Smoked turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, mac and cheese, brussel sprouts with bacon and onions, sweet rolls or corn muffins and your choice of pie. If they would come by and do the dishes it would be even more perfect. Luckily my husband usually does most of the dishes, if I pack away the leftovers. Meanwhile, I'll plant myself by the window looking out at the beach and finish the "Bog Berry Blush" the local Cranberry Gewürztraminer we like to have with Thanksgiving dinner.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 5
  19. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

We go over the river and through the woods to my folks' place for the afternoon and evening. My dad :cowboy: and little brothers :cowboy: :cowboy: come out of the woods, pausing their hunt to join the family celebration. My sister and her kids always roll in fashionably later than the rest of us.

We play and/or watch some football and catch up on the new news and reminisce about the old news. The minions enjoy spending time with their cousins in an offline way.

My dad carving the turkey is always a sight to behold. Stuffing is my favorite! :feedme:

I will miss those good times this year!

I hope all VMBers have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

RICHARD

• Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mommaof3babes

Mommaof3babes High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im.supposed to.go to vegas for Thanksgiving..who knows now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.