1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thanksgiving Prep/Planning

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by luck.ofthe.draw, Nov 12, 2020.

1. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Swanson TV dinners!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa whoa whoa, let's slow down here. Gravy can go in the mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes can make friends with the cranberry.

I think what I love most about Thanksgiving (besides the fact that it's primarly about football, food,and friends) is that, to Ken's point, there is no objectively wrong way to do it, but we each have our individual "right" way to do it. It's like the description of the straw fries at Bazaar -- "traditional potatoes that will remind you of your childhood".

As an aside: https://tomatonation.com/stories-true-and-otherwise/wild-turkey/

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember those! I haven't seen them for awhile. I guess if you don't look for them you forget. A long time ago they would go on sale for .99 cents each.

They must cost a gazillion bucks now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally get it. I grew up with fresh sweet potatoes so the canned stuff tastes weird and overly sweet to me. That said, I also eat fresh sweet potatoes quite a bit. And when I’ve done the Whole 30 (which I’ve done twice now) it was basically a daily staple. If you’re feeling adventurous one day, try a savory sweet potato dish. I make a pretty simple but very tasty one: boil and mashed sweet potatoes with Greek yogurt and some chopped scallions. Great substitute for mashed potatoes and healthier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Vegas is Fabulous When You Degen Responsibly ;)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL I’m very selective on the foods I don’t mind playing with each other, so those divided plates/trays may be a good investment :cool: Thanksgiving is pretty chill, never any family coming in (never would really want that tbh... the three of us are all black sheep who sometimes have trouble just getting along with each other lol ;)); we shall be dining on smoked turkey w/ pan gravy, garlic Parmesan whipped potatoes, dressing, and sweet potatoes w/ spiced brown sugar butter sauce :feedme: I will be having some pumpkin pie with my whipped cream ;) oh and what holiday dinner is complete without some homemade Chex Mix before and after :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turkey, usually wet brined, sometimes spatchcocked.

Mashed garlicky potatoes (Yukon gold past years, might do russet again this year as well, a fun taste-test...)

Roasted root veggies (carrots, beets, sweet potatoes and red onions)

Greenbean casserole with fresh greenbeans, and homemade mushroom bechemele, but with the pre-made Frenches onion topping. (Might do the topping from scratch this year though. I'm always lazy on the onion topping!)

And, the MUST HAVE dish for hubs, sausage stuffing from scratch with 3 types of bread from the day old bin, usually focaccia or cibatta, sourdour, and a softer bread, with fennel and butter and chicken stock. (The last year or two people have been raiding the bakery day old bin though, seems like scratch stuffing/dressing is gaining popularity! Dang you Food Network! :cry:)

Might do a "brighter" greenbelt dish this year, with fresh green beans and lemon zest.

And easy peasy cranberry side with fresh cranberries boiled in sugar, water and some citrus.

Dessert and breads? I let others bring, baking is not my forte! I do the rest, but pass the torch on those!

Ps @luck.ofthe.draw on past Thanksgiving vs now, I prefer scratch versus canned, but its because I love cooking. I normally cook/prep for 3 days for Thanksgiving, even if its 3-4 of us.

But, I did grow up having sweet potato casserole somewhere, with the marshmallows. I never make it, but hubs admitted he's never had it. So, I might throw that in for nostalgia, with fresh sweet potatoes, brown sugar, tons of butter, and, yep, marshmallows. Not my norm, but he loves pumpkin pie, so I'm betting he'll like it.

Then again, as long as he gets stuffing/dressing, he's happy, so its a no fail endeavor:)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Love Love x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turkey Tenderloins w Sausage and Cornbread "Dressing" and of course Mashed Potatoes w Gravy. May add a small Ham, thus will have to include Homemade MacNCheese. And since we eat Sweet Potatoes year round, this time they will be enjoyed as a Pie.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  8. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll just recommend again adding a little orange/pineapple!
    That sounds fantastic. Day-old starches get a bad rap, but I can't make fried rice without using ingredients that have been in the fridge for a bit.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven’t had a traditional Thanksgiving meal in years, maybe 5 or 6? No family in town and feel awkward joining others. It’s fine with me, I’m excited to use it as an excuse to eat things I don’t during the year. I normally eat only fish and chicken, hardly anything processed and very little of the love of my life, cheese. Sad, but I’d rather eat this way than take pills for cholesterol, which really messed up my muscles.

I sometimes make my mother’s traditional sausage and sage dressing when I’m in a cooking mood, which I’m not this year. I’m going to order a pizza. A big, giant, cheese covered, sausage, onion and mushroom pizza. I doubt the local place will be open on Thursday and it will take me 3 days to finish anyway so I will get one Wednesday. Getting it ahead of time also eliminates the need for makeup that day. I’m considering purchasing a real dessert. I eat desserts daily but normally it will be Alyssa’s Healthy Oatmeal Cookies or 1/2 a Built protein bar. I’m taking cake or pie. Yum. Unfortunately I may have to settle for frozen since I have a strict rule of avoiding grocery stores the week of thanksgiving. If I can find a bakery with curbside, that could be an option.

Hope everyone enjoys the day, I know I will!

Every trip will be a maybe until everything is open again
    Years on Wynn app pay off
    • Like Like x 2
  10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty much the same (though admittedly not for cholesterol reasons, I just sort of stopped eating most meat about 30 years ago). After my grandmother passed and I wound up moving out here a few years ago, I shifted my tradition to an annual Picasso dinner, usually solo and just staring out at the fountains with a copy of the New Yorker for show, though occasionally with a friend. I'll have people over for Christmas, and like a good NYC-born Jew will always order Chinese food on Christmas Eve, but Thanksgiving has become my me time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  11. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow - I would love to come to many of your houses for dinner that day... especially @Basil - his whole meal sounds fabulous and yeah, its really the piecaken I want to taste..

I used to cook a big traditional meal when my children were still home but haven't really cooked it all for years now... since its just the 2 of us, we are going out with 4 other couples to a local diner for dinner... because of Covid, I'd rather pick the food up and eat outside but that's not happening.... I know we will have left overs to bring home because this diner really fills your plate... I will make dessert though - I make a chocolate pecan pie and a pumpkin pie ... pumpkin anything is my favorite and only my brother-in-law likes the pecan pie (its so rich) ... so I'll give it to him.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

• Like Like x 3
  12. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was nosing through Flay's Mesa Grill cookbook last night and thinking I like his spin on turkey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I decided to spatchcock the turkey this year. I have never done it so I checked out Alton Brown and it looks pretty simple. His recipe is interesting but he leaves it uncovered in the fridge for 4 days before cooking, and then he places it directly on the oven shelf over a pan of root vegetables. I don't like either of those suggestions, so I will just 'wing' it .

• Like Like x 2
  14. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm cooking turkey stock ahead of time (freezing to use in gravy) - added a smoked turkey leg to the wing in the pot.
    20201115_103156.jpg

20201115_112845.jpg

Carmelizing down 3lbs of onions - finally put my 12" skillet to use and probably could've done it in an even larger one.
    20201115_122503.jpg

Stuffing with homemade focaccia is halfway done, also chillin in the freezer.

Jackson insisted we take a cuddle break while the roll dough is rising.
    16054797698196878959588201771103.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 5
  15. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Vegas is Fabulous When You Degen Responsibly ;)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG Jackson is being egregiously cute :love::haha:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  16. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for much @44inarow , the pineapple sounds fantastic, I added it to my shopping list!

17. luck.ofthe.draw

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cranberry sauce was SO easy! And you people talk about the canned stuff.....pffft. This was my first time making it and it came together in 5mins!
    20201115_181633.jpg

20201115_185332.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's definitely pretty easy! I just like the canned (whole berry, not jellied). Thanksgiving is just such a traditional holiday to me, in the sense that you gotta do what you're used to. It's not unlike Mexican food for me, I can make it myself but for some reason I love the canned El Paso stuff. It's very much personal taste. But I also make my own pizza from scratch.
    Very good oval right there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. luck.ofthe.draw

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That makes sense, different texture too, totally get it!

20. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All my friends seem to be planning to cook/smoke turkey parts only.
    What ya going to put in those next day sammiches?
    (also, can't you just get 2 cans Crans so no one will bitch?)
    and do a stuffing in/stuffing out. And all the sides, don't want it, don't put it on your plate?
    that's how it used to be...

We're making the sacrifice of bowing out to protect the little children.
    A room service steak doesn't sound horrible.

• Like Like x 1