1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2020 CFB Season Updates and Information

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by ken2v, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

An excellent post. Can't wait for college ball to begin.

2. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolute insanity that high schoolers in hand-me-down pads and mid major conferences without two nickels to rub together are preparing to play football in a few weeks but the money factory Big Ten is not. What a colossal failure by Kevin Warren. Even if it ends up as the “right” decision, the process has been nothing short of asinine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A real shame a year might be focused on that free education.

4. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's one way to look at it. Another is that high schools are taking a huge gamble. My daughter's high school had the dubious distinction of hosting the first football game this year in the u.s. and as much as I enjoyed watching the game on local television, I would be lying if I told you I wasn't nervous about a covid surge andseeing her right back home again in a week or two . Tickets were only available by lottery to a few hundred students and family members of players, and coaches were masked when they were interviewed, but there were plenty of camera shots of unmasked players hugging, high fiving, etc. as teammates are wont to do.

5. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tuning in to watch a few minutes of Austin Peay v. Central Arkansas. This is not power 5 material.

I suspect the Las Vegas betting handle may set some college football records anyway.

6. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's go pee!

7. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great game last night. Fantastic run by the winning team.

8. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. LVRaiders

LVRaiders Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NFL Week 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Open letter to Big Ten Commissioner

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-wolverines-an-open-letter-to-big-ten-kevin-warren-college-football-covid-coronavirus

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2020
  11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting stats shown in that open letter.

12. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The data he cites in his open letter is directly from CDC.

13. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. OhioStateAlum

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PAC 12 coming back in November. Not sure how this will affect any of the member teams in regard to the playoff. I don’t think there is a team in the conference capable of winning the national championship anyway, but I felt like Oregon had a chance to be a very good team that could’ve at least gotten in.

Edit: just saw they’ll be done in time for playoff selection.

I couldn’t be happier that football is going to be played. Wonderful opportunity for a ton of kids.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad the Pac is back, and the conference appears to have the strongest protocol in place. Probably a good year to push the putative CFP to all five conferences. If seeding is needed then use the polls to have the two "least" conference champs play a game for spot #4.

16. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To paraphrase Roger Goodell...
    The Mountain West is on the clock.

17. OhioStateAlum

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’ll expand when the current deal is up, but I personally don’t want it to. There are enough ass kickings already. We haven’t had a year yet with 4 participants capable of actually winning it. All that said, come 2025 I’ll have my eyes glued to the TV to watch top seeded Clemson beat the living hell out of UCF, B1G runner up Wisconsin, PAC 12 runner up Stanford, etc. And I suppose that’s the point of the whole thing anyway.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baseball needs to seed the playoffs like CFB. When one division sucks, give two bids to the "better" division.

I've been out of the loop, has Harbaugh started whining about OSU?

19. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but also no. Different styles of play yield surprise results, and we've had surprise results in the CFP, and before that the BCS Championship. Not to bring up a bad subject, but look at when my team crushed your team. Even after that game, fans that understood what they saw wouldn't suggest my team was better than tOSU.

Since 2014-2015 there has probably been a couple of times that different choices might have been made. And I struggle even going that far. It's pretty difficult for me to suggest a G5 jump someone who plays a tougher schedule. Where I have some issue is when P5 other 0/1 loss team jumps its own conference champion.

I think it will end up 5 P5 champions, and three at large. And that's as large as I would personally like to see it.

By the way, I do appreciate tOSU, my team and Nebby attempting to bring some facts and science into the B1G's debacle. Where for some reason the Commissioner of Athletic thought part of his role was voter registration. I had really enjoyed the college game for lack of this kind of thing being brought in, and when he suggested this early on, I remembered, and later wasn't surprised by the incredible lack of leadership on his part. I just don't think it showed good judgment to bring this into college athletics, and he later proved he didn't have good judgment period. I do some consulting for an athletic department, and had some of the science shared with me. IN the end, the first end, it was all about preventing a tortfeasor. This is what they wanted everyone to think, and it was leaked,. Pretty disappointing that anything like this would ever happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OhioStateAlum

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t disagree, but I think those one-off type of upsets are far less likely in the playoff. In that setting, everybody’s travel is the same, health is similar after 4 weeks off, etc. National championship level teams never get ambushed the way OSU did vs Iowa & Purdue.

Winning it all is so difficult in the current format & I think there are really only 2 or 3 teams each year that even have the requisite talent to win two playoff games. I think the 2019 team was the best in school history & even they didn’t get it done. In this era I don’t think anyone that could’ve won it has been left out.

Completely agree about the supposed leadership in the B1G. It was a no win situation but clearly Kevin Warren is in over his head & not cut out to answer the type of questions his job requires him to answer. & the fact that he came out and said he didn’t think it would cause an uproar just shows an incredible lack of awareness and inability to read the room. The conference would’ve been set back years without the reversal. Was nice to see OSU toss their weight around a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.