1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

2020 CFB Season Updates and Information

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by ken2v, Aug 5, 2020.

1. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're an independent. With basically every conference going conference only at this point, they don't have much of a choice. Can't have a season if there is nobody to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's right, they pulled out of the AAC after last year.

Still, just the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wanted to make a joke out of this, but I couldn't find the clip of an old Cheers episode where the guys at the bar declare they are big fans of the UConn ..... fighting insurance salesmen!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. LVRaiders

LVRaiders High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The SEC is going to have a season, as will Clemson and the Big 10. No matter if the rest of America does, they will.

7. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t know whether there will be a season or not, but the DII & DIII schools don’t mean anything as it relates to the conversation about big time college football this fall. Those schools have canceled because they can’t afford to have a season. The Power 5 will do anything they can to play, because they can’t afford not to. Kick the can down the road as long as possible and try to make some $$.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is mindlessly easy to predict the ranking of conferences in terms of trying to force a season.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I attended the Navy UCONN game in 2006, it’s actually a nice stadium built on a former airfield of Pratt and Whitney. United Technologies donated the land and there’s a huge grass parking lot, perfect for a tailgate. Too bad for UCONN, but they should not have brought back the former coach.

• Love Love x 1
  10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Golfer

Golfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    UConn athletics lost +/- $42MM prior to covid, and has its own issues.

I'm a pretty big college football fan, and I attend all of my teams home games, and travel to all their away games, as well as assorted games throughout the country. I also do a fair amount of business with the university, and the B1G conference.

A couple of observations I can make (and there are some I can't make). They (B1G) have pretty stringent medical protocols. The conference schedule only was partially a legal strategy. The unfortunate situation with the player from Indiana has not been reported 100% accurately. To wit, it is possible the covid exposure identified a pre existing heart condition, not caused it. Which in an odd twist of events, makes his exposure to covid somewhat beneficial if this proves to be true. No one is ever going to know this as medical records are protected, and we certainly need to give some consideration to the statement by the player's mother, although she is understandably upset.

The B1G Commissioner has actively sought player and parent's input prior to what was reported recently. Those results are revealing. I'm not sure if they will be made public as they might be needed for a future tort defense.

If I was asked if we will at least begin a B1G football season, the answer based on what is known at this point would be yes. What my disconnect is, and this is where I'll speculate, is delivery of tickets. I (we) have pretty decent seats. Not a luxury box, but 50 yard line. Usually season tickets arrive about this time. This year, and since the schedule wasn't publicly released until yesterday, it's been delayed, and they are to be delivered electronically except in rare instances. There is some deference afforded larger donors, and the business I piggyback on with is a larger donor. There have been no updates. And that is true for every B1G team I have some insight into.

FWIW, fall camp officially starts 8/7. One of the consequences of this virus is that I won't be able to attend closed practices this year. I really enjoyed these, and it helped me understand a lot of schemes.

My personal opinion is that sports is important to the American people. I think the challenge is finding a balance between safety and sports. Without crawling into the weeds, the way revenue is accounted for in college athletics among the larger programs will impact education funding, and in some ways that aren't apparent. So while it is commonly reported that athletic departments lose money, that isn't entirely true in a vacuum.

I hope we get good news. I really enjoy college football and traveling to away games and have things to do at each location. I trout fished at Penn State. When we travel to Maryland I get to play Congressional Country Club, and I can visit Annapolis. I've gotten to see several NFL caliber players, and remain in contact with a handful of them. I've witnessed young man from diverse backgrounds growing up into successful adults. etc.

• Love Love x 2
  12. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Pac schedule is certainly jumbled.

14. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's probably safe to take a red marker and line through South Florida Bulls @ Texas Longhorns opening weekend (September 3rd). Word around the campfire is we would be replaced by UTEP, as the Doce Grandes is allowing but one OOC game this season. Assuming we make it that far...:blink:

15. Gus

Gus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    penn state announced no fans at games, the top cb , lb and now DE in the draft have all opted out of the season.

16. Golfer

Golfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting business decision and I can't quite figure out the logic. To be clear, I've not seen all the player's reasoning. I know several cited preparing for the NFL draft. Jacob Panasuik specifically cited health / covid. Not a lot of good reporting, or reporters in the sports realm. Or really anywhere.

If they attempt to do CFB this spring, which I doubt happens, there would be a lot more of this. At that point, I'd say anyone who had first or second round potential would be foolish not to opt out.

I'm not really much of a sports bettor, but how the line gets set this season should be very interesting. I would think there would be a ton of daily movement based on medical reasons alone. Part of the reason we are seeing conference only is the ability to be more nimble with scheduling. This said, PSU was 30-1 in June, and as far as I know, still remains 30-1 to win the CFP, so who really knows? Micah Parsons wasn't a small loss. In their defensive scheme he really is their on field DC.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Golfer

Golfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I know:

Dear

Thank you for your continued loyal support as we continue to work through these challenging times. We are potentially one month away from our home opener and wanted to inform you of changes to football ticket sales for this season.

Here’s what we know…

• If we play and fans are permitted to attend, the five home B1G Conference games will be sold as single games and not as a season ticket. This provides for greater access and flexibility for our season ticket holders and the opportunity to increase or decrease capacity as the season unfolds.
    • Main stand and premium seating in Kinnick Stadium will follow six-feet social distancing guidelines.
    • Capacity will be reduced to approximately 10-15,000 seats per game.
    • Fans will be required to wear face coverings and additional mitigation strategies have been implemented.
    • All tickets and parking passes will be mobile.
    • UI Students will have access to single game tickets in the student section. The capacity will be limited and distribution plans are still being finalized.
    • Parking lots will be restricted to 50% capacity and open four hours before kickoff.

To provide more access to the limited number of tickets, there will not be season tickets or season parking this year.

• New single-game prices will be announced soon and they will be priced by stadium section and game.
    • Fans will select tickets in groups of two or four, socially distanced throughout the stadium.
    • Seat locations will be best available at the time of purchase, by section.
    • Parking will also be sold on a single-game basis with one spot per account.

Tickets and per-seat contributions will automatically be rolled over to 2021. Season Ticket Holders don’t need to take further action, unless you would like to request a refund or convert your per-seat/parking requirement to a tax-deductible donation. If this is your preference, please let us know by August 14, 2020 by emailing [email protected].

Many supporters have asked how to help our Hawkeye student-athletes. I would ask you to please consider reinvesting your per-seat contributions into the Hawkeye Scholarship Fund, a fully tax-deductible fund, that provides scholarship support for our 650 student-athletes. This would allow our student-athletes to continue to compete in the the classroom and in their respective sport.

All information regarding our tickets and Kinnick Stadium will be posted at hawkeyesports.com/footballgameday. Again, we appreciate your patience and understanding. While these are significant changes, the health and safety of our fans, student-athletes, coaches and staff remains our top priority.

(Edited out)

Gary Barta
    Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair

18. Golfer

Golfer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add Rondale Moore to the list.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who needs the XFL when we might have MAC football in the spring? Seriously though, I doubt they will be the last FBS conference to postpone.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

20. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im proud that the MAC leaders put the safety of their athletes over $$ My son is a freshman at UB (MAC member) and all of his classes are online!

6th wedding anniversary celebration with family
    6th wedding anniversary celebration with family
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1