1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Monday morning incident at Cal

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Joe, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't burned any bridges yet. My suggestion was that Vacations Hawaii (Boyd) should provide a free flight to Hawaii for our troubles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's because he's either technologically retarded or doesn't want anything in writing...I literally won't deal with anyone unless it's via email.

• Like Like x 1
  3. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe... booked in First...and with 3 nights room, comped.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, they did you a favor and you complained, possibly getting the desk clerk in trouble, the whole world isn't a conspiracy to commit crime you know. People make mistakes, I know you're retired now, but how would you like it if every mistake you ever made on the job was escalated to "top management" with demands for satisfaction?

Some guy opened your door by mistake and woke you up, that sucks, but IMO a simple apology with perhaps a free breakfast or lunch would have been more than enough.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! I so disagree with this response, I'm just going to leave it alone.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did try that in the first place but you refused. Remember Monday morning 5:30? You should let them take you luggage and you go with them.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I got a chuckle out of that one!:thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude... I'm an extremely easy going guy... I look for things to praise folks about and REALLY have to be wronged to get pissed. This is NOT a simple or innocent mistake IMHO. It's 5:30 in the f-ing morning and staff bypasses the DND sign AND the deadbolt to enter an occupied room! As a regular traveler, that would forever change my view of my comfort and safety in my room... or at least I'd sure make it seem like it did. Then... security comes back AGAIN a little before 8 a.m.??? WTF???

I agree about not using the "never coming back" route, but would really play up the "violated" route, especially with your wife having been in the room. This is a BIG deal and they need to revise some procedures to insure it doesn't happen again and show good-faith to you that they sincerely value your patronage.

After reading this, I'm getting one of those door-wedges today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What monetary value are you looking for(since obviously sincere apologies without "stuff" wont do)? I just dont understand the anger, is it with the guy who opened the door? The fact he was able to open the door?( they do need that ability, vegas being 24 hrs some people might not even be in their rooms) The initial apology without compensation? What is the real problem?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't understand our anger and fear having someone enter our room at 5:30 AM with the DND and deadbolt on, then this is my last reply to your posts.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to the Cal, I've seen the signs posted near the elevators saying stuff like "flight " such an such to honolulu...luggage pickup 5:30, bus to airport 7:30, flight leaves 10:30, etc. This is what they do, several times every week, I'd be willing to bet 75% of people have their bags packed sitting by the door for the guy to pick up, and they probably also have the DND sign posted. Now they got the wrong room, I understand, I just dont think it's necessarily the hotels fault, or its worth destroying a mutual relationship over.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I'm starting to think this might be the reason they don't have the 'swing bar' lock or a chain. If folks bar the door out of habit the guy collecting the bags has to wake folks up to get in, at 5:30am, it would really slow things down.

@Joe if you do get a chance to have a discussion with the GM could you mention the extra lock has been removed?

• Like Like x 2
  13. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like I need to weigh in here. This is a serious issue and I recognize some folks are suggesting to move on. I don't believe one person is to blame here necessarily but I do see a systemic issue that the hotel needs to address immediately.

We have non-hotel staff having access to the room who did not knock but entered the room regardless of the "do not disturb"
    We have security also at fault initially.
    We have the front-desk oblivious to the issue - they should have taken the phone complaint and recognized the need to escalate it rather then the guest having to do so.
    We have issues with the list that is given to the luggage handlers - it is obviously not accurate.
    This is not a one person issue but a series of problems with the process.

For me, I would not need any compensation but I would need an apology that is sincere and recognizes the need to re-evaluate their process for these luggage pick-ups so that it does not happen again.

Now I get why my husband worries abut me travelling alone - I feel like a need to buy a door stopper of some sort.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Tumpster

Tumpster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My opinion, agreed you should go in knowing what you want and calmly laying it all out for them. It seems so far, you're in the middle of it so let's see how it unfolds. I agree on the going in with anger and losing it all. Teddy Roosevelt this one and just carry your big stick. You live in Wisconsin, bring out all the middle of January football playoff/winter rage if they should try to blow you off. And if anything, start climbing the chain of command inside of Boyd Properties, some one is going to listen, especially with your 20 years of loyalty.

15. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More like the Scientologists of Fremont

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wouldn't have ruined my vegas trip

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been a problem, have its on little carry case.

18. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No happy ending involved, right?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see you degens were way ahead of me on LolaD's post. Keep up the good work!

Joe, I think it would be interesting to see what the reaction be if you circumvented a lock and appeared behind the counter in the cage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think Joe could pass for an islander...haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.