1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which travel credit card(s) do you like best ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bernie2, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at a BOA travel credit card and a Chase Sapphire and both look good. That being said which one(s) do you like best and why. The BOA would give $200 and is free and the Chase would give me $625 and the first year fee is waived. Thanks for any imput.

2. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Capital One Vantage Card.
    2 miles per $ spent. $59 yr cardholder fee.
    There are other Capital One cards without the $59 annual fee but they only reward 1-1/2 miles per $1 spent.
    I figure the additional 1/2 mile per dollar is worth $59 year.

To figure out rewards you multiple your travel cost x 100 to compute in miles.
    Example: $400 plane ticket x 100 = 40,000 miles which equates to 20 thousand in purchases.

3. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The miles are the goal. - George Clooney's character in Up in the Air

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Capital one miles are essentially cash as you just apply them to whatever you buy.

Chase has the 1.5 value (less), but some great transfer partners.

No matter what, sign up, get the bonus, then get another one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could not narrow it down to one.

Overall, I like the Chase Sapphire Reserve. 3% points on travel expenses and dining. Ultimate Reward points can be redeemed at 1.5 cents for travel. But then I have also have other cards that I like for specific spends.

I just picked up a pair of Chase Southwest cards so we will be getting a companion pass for this year and next so those cards have a temporary spot in my wallet.

Many here diss it, but the Total Rewards Card has its occasional use. With no annual fee it is worth keeping.

Discover for the quarterly bonus spends.

Amex for their "AMEX Offers"

• Like Like x 1
  6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chase Sapphire Reserve. I got in on 100,000 point bonus. I've also redeemed the Priority Pass benefit so I can use some airport lounges as well as used the PreCheck benefit. The annual travel credit almost covered the annual fee as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For people travelling to and from Hawaii I use the Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian airline mastercard. First bag on Hawaiian is free, from the US to Hawaii and vice versa and also free on neighbor island flights. Initial signups get companion passes (free or discounted for companion fare).

8. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do NOT get hooked on just one or even two cards. I have earned somewhere north of 600,000 miles in the past few years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chase sapphire reserve, with freedom, freedom unlimited, and ink cash to maximize earning (all cards can transfer points to the sapphire reserve). Tough to beat this combo for daily use and earning power. Like nostress said, you can continually sign up for cards to earn bonuses, but that's a whole different game.

As a side note, the sapphire reserve alone renders the southwest card utterly worthless. Equal or more earning power in every category, and points can transfer 1:1 to SW.

10. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But you can't use sapphire points for companion pass on SW

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use the Capital One Venture (which is free) because the points can be used to get a payment for any airline costs after the flight.

12. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bad, I didn't mean Vantage, I meant Venture.
    How many miles per $ do get with the no annual fee card? 1.5?
    I actually have 3 of them. 2 with no annual fee @ 1.5 miles per $ and 1 card with 2 miles per $ with the $59 annual fee.

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a bad card... but it is in reality a cash back card - when used for travel.

You can not use it to get a good deal on 1st class or Intl, etc.

Not sure what the signup bonus is -that is the PRIMARY thing I look for in a card.

14. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the 1.5 miles and wife has a Capital One that she signed up for cash. Her card is free too.
    Sign up bonus is key. I got an M Life MC just for the $100 free play you get for charging so much in three months. Easy to do. Did the same with a British Airways card and the miles covered a trip to Europe.
    I fly Delta often since I get a good chance for upgrades due to a lifetime frequent flyer elevated status. Would get one of their cards for the bonus miles but would have to pay the second year.

15. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have found that purchasing my Southwest Tickets with Ultimate Reward points through Sapphire Reserve is sometimes a better deal than transferring the points to Southwest directly. When you do that you earn more southwest points from the purchased ticket. Do the math first.

16. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious....i have about 8 credit cards... how much does everyone have and whats ypur current debt? I think i owe around 20k that i pay about 2k on a month. Asking to see if this is normal or If i'm a cc debt loser.

17. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have around 8 cards. I pay off all balances every month so my current CC debt is $0. I figure if I carry debt and pay interest it cancels out any points/miles/cash I earn. I don't believe I am "normal" though.

18. Orphan

Orphan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you do this? Southwest flights don't show up in the Chase travel portal for me.

19. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can call the customer trave support # listed on the portal - 1-855-234-2542. Just have the southwest flight information ready. It is really a quick process.

My advice is to book each leg separately since it makes rebooking at a cheaper rate easier. If you need to rebook at a cheaper rate you will first need to cancel the flight which will give you a credit to rebook (good for one year). Once you rebook it, you can change it just like any other flight you booked yourself.

20. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my favorite movies. Along with Lost In Translation. Which, probably says a lot about me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.