1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which travel credit card(s) do you like best ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bernie2, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always used the Alaska Airlines card since out here on the West coast I can fly them pretty much everywhere. My wife and I have separate cards so we each get a companion fare every year....which for a family of four has been pretty handy.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope this is not true - at least the outstanding debt part.

I have 30+ credit cards. We pay the one we are currently using off each month.

If you are at 14% interest - you are paying $2,800 in annual interest on an average $20k balance. What rate are you at? I hope it is not even higher than that.

Really - get it paid off. That is worse than blowing money in Vegas.

The only time we ever had credit card debt was with those 0% interest deals, though we usually paid 2-3% to get it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have six cards. I have never carried a balance. I hope you don't mean your carry a balance of $20k each month. If so, skip Vegas for a few years and pay that off! :poke:

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't need the "pick pick" emoticon, Joe. That is just plain-old simple, good, and friendly advice.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our primary is Alaska, too. Like C, geography plays a huge part in that. And with the shopping portal ...

6. TXactuarial

TXactuarial VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently picked up churning. The following cards are the ones we have gotten in the past year with their respective sign-up bonuses/ standard ancillary benefits:

>AMEX Plat for 100k points + $600 travel credit
    >CSR 2x w/200k points + $1,200 travel credit
    >CSP 2x w/100k points
    >2x AAviator Mastercard w/80k points

These cards cost a total of about $1,600 in annual fees, but valuing the AMEX points at 1cpp, Chase at 1.5cpp, and AA at 1.5cpp (based on our valuation of our projected usage) the benefits are worth approximately $8,500. And best of all - none of it is taxable!

If you travel Southwest a lot, definitely look into getting the Southwest companion pass. It is easier to do now that Chase upped the SWA bonus to 60k. It's not worth it personally for us since we rarely fly Southwest, but it's a unique and valuable perk.

Before you apply, make sure you can comfortable hit the minimum spends, or look into ways to manufacture spend. Usually this necessitates a minimum around $1,500/month.

7. Bunnypanda

Bunnypanda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Lost in Translation!

8. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 3 business and 1 personal card.
    They all get paid off every month.
    Carrying a balance and paying interest negates the reward program.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice! Just wondering what was the spending requirement for that?

I agree. I earned 145,000 points in the past 3 months...

I have the Venture One (no AF) and was thinking of reapplying for it to see if I could get the 20,000 miles...I've had it for 5 years at least but certainly don't want to lose my current miles I have on it...

10. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you would lose your miles. I have 3 of their cards and didn't lose miles when applying for the additional cards.
    They wouldn't raise my credit limit but had no problem giving me additional cards with 20k limits.
    LOL 1 card with a 60k month limit or 3 cards at 20k each.......that's pure genius on their part but whatever.

I have the cards linked and am able to actually transfer the miles between the cards so I can just keep 1 big balance of miles.

I also believe there's a 40,000 mile offer on 1 of their cards right now. Daughters boyfriend just got it. I believe it's the 1 with the annual fee of $59 though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have both the Southwest Rapid Rewards and Sapphire Preferred, both $95 annual fee. The 6K annual point bonus on Rapid Rewards will buy me a flight to Vegas, but I think overall the 25% increase in buying power on the Sapphire's Ultimate Rewards might be a better deal. I have a question on what you said about "good for one year", STPFan.

I buy then cancel flights frequently with SW and like the fact that the points never have an expiration date, no many how many times I cancel them. (so long as I keep account active) I haven't booked with Ultimate Rewards yet, but are you saying that points in that program will expire after one year if cancelled? Ugh...that's not good.

One of my main reasons for wanting to try Sapphire's Ultimate Reward program is that hotel rooms there are refundable if you cancel,, Rapid Rewards are not. I also find the Ultimate Reward portal to be a lot more user friendly.

Yes, important to pay off monthly or you end up paying dearly for your "free" rewards.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do not cancel it, just put it in the drawer.

Really though, there are better cards out there to get more bang for your spending. You only get 1.25% back. (better than a poke in the eye of course, but...)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, not a fan of AF's but I am seeing those are the cards that offer better rewards, so I will prob have to re-evaluate that...But definitely wouldn't close the other card...

14. lostfido

lostfido I push my fingers into my eyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the CSR and AM Express platinum as my 2 cards I carry. Have 2 Southwest cards in the safe that I used to get companion pass.
    Wife has the Starwood preferred
    Guest for her daily card. We have a combined 700,000 points right now, planning to use some for a trip to Hawaii.
    Remember to use the portals for extra points, and ask questions when making a major purchase----I just paid the down payment on my new Suburban with my CSR

• Like Like x 1
  15. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you purchase any flights (not just Southwest's) directly from Ultimate Rewards the tickets/points are not refundable and fall under the rules of the carrier. Southwest ticketing rules allow you cancel/change tickets but the balance is processed as a future credit to be used within one year of purchased date (not flight date). That is a downfall of using Ultimate Rewards points with Southwest tickets. I fly enough times a year that the one year credit has never been an issue.

It is important to do the math when using Ultimate Rewards to directly purchase your ticket keeping in mind that pro's and con's.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lostfido

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very true. I use the miles I accumulated earning the companion pass for all of my SW flights for now, living in MSP most flights are available for 12-15k
    My plan is to transfer the UR points to Korean Air and book a flight on a partner airline (Delta) for a trip to Hawaii. I can do the non-stop to Honolulu for 45k each out of MSP if I use my points like this.

17. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    confused? You cannot use the ultimate reward points for SW companion. Can only use on the 3 SW cards for companion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lostfido

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 2 SW cards I used to get CP which got me 110,000 rapid reward points. I have chase CSR card for UR points, 100,000 sign up bonus. I have not transferred any UR points to SW, I am using the 110,000 I got on the 2 SW cards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would eventually like to settle with just having the CSR. Despite that AF I like the $300 travel credit as well as the access to certain airport lounges...Though I would like it with a higher sign up bonus...

But in the meantime I need to acquire the SW card and also would like the Marriott card...

20. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If getting 1 SW card, get 2 different ones and it will be easy to earn the companion ticket. If you can't manage the spend at once, just spread them apart a couple months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.