1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buffet Time Limits

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by khchang, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khchang

khchang Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I was recently at the Bellagio buffet and made a valiant effort of trying to get my money’s worth. And by that I don’t mean stuffing myself silly but by taking my time and eating slowly, allowing plenty of time between courses, and sampling as much as possible (emphasis on the word “sampling”). However, part way through I was looking at the receipt and saw that there was a two-hour time limit. This is the first time I’ve noticed this but how do they enforce this? Or do they enforce it at all?

2. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But the sign said all you can eat

Tis' no man, tis' a remorseless eating machine.

Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the film 'The Neverending Story'.

--
    Serious reply - I think they look at when the credit card was charged and the time printed on the receipt. Personally, I've never had it enforced.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well...just being curious...could you actually exceed two hours dining at a buffet? Seems like a reasonable time at a restaurant, given that the food would have to be prepped, cocktails, etc. - but a buffet is ready to be served. I can't imagine enforcing something like that. Imagine the negative pub.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a sign at Bacchanal that asks that you limit your dining to 2 hours. I don't know if it's actually enforced.

5. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think they would unless you seriously abuse the system. Like staying there for hours to just get wasted on bottomless beverage etc. Then again I'd be amazed if a person wasn't done eating in 2 hours anyway.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First World problems!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone attempted a nap in a buffet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. khchang

khchang Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall there being a restroom within the buffet facility/property specifically for the buffet patrons to use. So is this to suggest that buffet patrons can't use the outside restrooms (i.e., no in-and-out privileges at the buffet)?

9. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From someone who has eaten my share of buffets over the years, I can't imagine this would ever be enforced for what I believe to be a very small number of people who hang out at the buffet - don't most of us have other things to do? I think it's more a hint to move along so they can seat others.

10. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not all buffets have restrooms inside the buffet, and if you need to leave just take your receipt with you and tell the host near the exit that you need to leave for a few minutes and are coming right back - it's never been a problem getting back in.

11. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i believe it's four hour

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be the reason for this time limit is because some people stay though different meal shifts, like some people coming in for "lunch" and paying for the lunch buffet but staying through dinner just to get the dinner specials (like crab legs, etc.).

I remember visiting the paris village buffet early and staying until they started to bring out the dinners. Not sure if that is still allowed (or if they close the buffet at a certain time to separate the different meal shift) anymore. My problem lately is that I don't get my money's worth of food since I can't eat as much as I used to.

It could also be for some people to hold "meetings" at the buffets that go on for over 2 hours but I never saw that happening. As others have mentioned, not sure if they enforce the 2 hour rule but I seldom see people hanging around that long anyway.

13. khchang

khchang Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I can't eat enough to actually get my money's worth, however one might define that, but for me the value is in being able sample many different types of food all in one place.

14. gpf101

gpf101 Tourist

Quality!

15. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "...My problem lately is that I don't get my money's worth of food since I can't eat as much as I used to...."

Indeed. This is pretty much the take for me and the Mrs. Unless it's comp'd, we probably won't be doing any buffet dining.
    That's just us. Now, the in-laws, they think buffet dining is the way to go...as much (or little) of variety.

'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
  16. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never noticed a sign at Gold Coast buffet where i usually eat, but then again most of the patrons are elderly or disabled which might be difficult to eat and get around the stations in 2 hours.

17. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about the 2 hour time limit but at MSS buffet they won't allow breakfast to lunch or lunch to dinner. They notified us prior to paying that we had to make sure that we would leave before the next dining session. We are fast eaters, maybe 20 minutes tops. But they kept coming around saying 10 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. Anyway we left before the next dining session started. So MSS will not let you stay for the next dining session.

In terms of a buffet having a restroom inside the buffet, Carnival buffet at the Rio has one inside.

18. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can anyone even eat for more than 2 hours?

19. Steve in RI.

Steve in RI. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not Vegas, but there is a famous all you can eat Lobster Buffet that states they limit dinning to a 2 hour minimum. Even with a small group, you can only eat so much. I say it sounds reasonable to keep the line moving (if there is one).

20. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the minimum is 2 hours, what's the maximum? Do they force you to eat more if you try to leave after an hour? :D

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.