1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

More air service from HI

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More air service from HI will be offered by Allegiant when they start flying from HI to PHX. Right now it's Hawaiian Air & US Air. PHX is a hop, skip and a jump to LAS. Will that be cheaper than LAS to HI time will tell. Good luck.

2. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow....what kind of planes are they adding to their fleet? Those MD 80's are not going to cut it, not sure if they are flying anything else?

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They picked up six 757's a couple of years ago and were waiting until they could get certified to fly over the water. For a while, they were using them on longer routes like Knoxville to Vegas that they said the MD80s weren't making any money flying. They began flights to Hawaii in June, but some cities come online for Hawaii flights in November.

And I just saw this about them starting to use Airbus A319s starting next year. I wouldn't be surprised if those replace the aging MD80 fleet all together for domestic flights with increased range. This might just be a way for Allegiant to return our direct Vegas flights to Knoxville that they have pulled twice. :thumbsup:

4. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since Allegiant already have direct flights from Honolulu to Las Vegas, I would think that it would be more expensive plus inconvenient to fly through Phoenix.

5. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes it would be true unless SW(WN) has a good sale to/from LAS or the particular time and day you want to travel there is the option of PHX and also USAir / Hawaiian may decide on a fare war when Allegiant enters the market.Otherwise, I agree on the statement about flights to LAS from HI.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, many of us are hopeful that SW will finally start Hawaii service. The plan has been in the works but as of now we haven't heard anything yet.

While Allegiant has probably helped the market by offerring more flights (in addition to their lower fare prices, but that doesn't include their other nickel and dime charges like seat charges, carry on charges along with baggage charges) I haven't really seen a drop in fares. Hawaiian still seems to be offerring the best prices (when you wait and fare watch) when you factor in all charges but that may change if/when SW starts their Hawaii to west coast market.

Really too early to tell, Allegiant only started their Hawaii service a few months ago but it does look like they are expanding the Hawaii market to other destinations so they must be doing well enough with the Hawaii market to expand.

Edited to add: Hawaiian isn't really going in the right direction in terms of amenities. They will be charging $8 for a blanket and pillow (used to be complimentary but now you get to keep the blanket and pillow) but they will be offerring a free mai tai along with free wine or something with your meal. Don't know who will be paying $8 just for blankets and pillows. I think in the future they will have to increase their carry on policy, one carry on that goes under your seat, one carry on that goes in the overhead, one carry on for a blanket and one for your pillow.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.